Upgrading to Hopper 3

cpotter638

Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
We are a current DISH customer. We have 2 ViP612 units. We also have a whole home lighting / AV control system (Control4). Each of the 2 ViP612's feed into a video switcher that then broadcasts to multiple TV's throughout the house. Thus, each TV has access to both ViP612's. Remote control is via Control4 remotes with IR receivers on the front of each ViP612.

We are thinking of upgrading our hardware. We would like same satellite availability (ability to watch 2 different live programs on 2 separate TV's in the home). What new hardware would we need to accomplish this? Is the best option a Hopper 3 and a standard Joey?

I would prefer to just purchase the hardware instead of paying DISH a lease fee each month. If I go this route, I would have to install the new equipment myself. How difficult would installation be? Would it be as simple as replacing equipment? Are the IR codes for the ViP612 and Hopper 3 / Joey the same? If so, I could just move IR receivers to new equipment? Does the Hopper 3 and ViP612 use the same satellites?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Chad

Owning receivers has no benefit other than no contract. The fee is the same whether you own or lease it from Dish.

Thanks for the clarification.

Is a Hopper 3 and standard Joey the best equipment to accomplish our goals?

Are IR codes the same for the ViP612 and Hopper 3 / Joey. Want to make sure Hopper 3 / Joey will work with our control system before calling dish to upgrade. I'm sure their phone rep won't understand our system.

What kind of inputs do you have to your whole home system?

The H3 has HDMI (HD and 4K out), Component (HD out) and composite (SD out) outputs whereas the Joey only has HDMI and composite outputs.

If you send composite signal into your system a H3 and a Joey would work and both the H3 and the Joey can be controlled via IR, although ordinarily they are RF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)