Upgrading to Hopper soon. Questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tom231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Wisconsin
Hi guys, I did a chat with Dish and they said I can upgrade to the Hopper and three Joeys ( I have 4 TV's) for $50.00 with dish'n it up and a new 2 year commitment. Does that sound like a good deal? I currently have a 922 ( love it!) and a 625. Are the Joey's wireless? and can I use my OTA module out of the 922 in the Hopper, or does it come with it built in? Thanks!

Hi guys, I did a chat with Dish and they said I can upgrade to the Hopper and three Joeys ( I have 4 TV's) for $50.00 with dish'n it up and a new 2 year commitment. Does that sound like a good deal? I currently have a 922 ( love it!) and a 625. Are the Joey's wireless? and can I use my OTA module out of the 922 in the Hopper, or does it come with it built in? Thanks!

Yes that's a good deal. The joeys being connected wireless is not an approved method and the tech won't install that way, but yes they can work wirelessly. The ota module is external and costs $30 to purchase.

you mention that the joey's & I assume the hopper can work wiressly..........how would that be accomplished

has there been any mention of a dual ota module...........seems direct has this & allows the viewing of 2 independent ota channels on the client

Just attach the wireless adapter to the Joey. Works the same way as Ethernet.

Hopper OTA dongle is a single tuner only. The only way to get more OTA tuners would be to get more Hoppers. Keep in mind that DirecTV's OTA solution actually takes place of the sat tuners. not the case with Hopper.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

you mention that the joey's & I assume the hopper can work wiressly..........how would that be accomplished

has there been any mention of a dual ota module...........seems direct has this & allows the viewing of 2 independent ota channels on the client

It's a single tuner ota and I haven't heard of any plan to change that.

The Hopper can be connected wireless with a USB Wifi adapter dish sells for $25. The Hopper can share the IP with the Joey's via Moca or the Joey's can communicate with the Hopper without coax as long as they are all connected to the same network. So you could hook the joeys up to a router or wireless with the Wifi adapter.

Yes that's a good deal. The joeys being connected wireless is not an approved method and the tech won't install that way, but yes they can work wirelessly. The ota module is external and costs $30 to purchase.

Thanks lucky86! I'm going to wait until after the 17th for the new Hopper before I pull the trigger. I asked the csr if I would still get the same deal if I waited for the new one and he said yes. I guess I'll find out later this week.

Just attach the wireless adapter to the Joey. Works the same way as Ethernet.

Hopper OTA dongle is a single tuner only. The only way to get more OTA tuners would be to get more Hoppers. Keep in mind that DirecTV's OTA solution actually takes place of the sat tuners. not the case with Hopper.

Am I understanding you correctly, if I had 2 hoppers with the ota dongle, then the other joeys could watch 2 separate ota channels

This is what I am trying to accomplish...........I want to be able to wirelessly mirror a hopper of joey to an upstairs tv that is seldom used. Is this something that I can accomplish with a hdmi splitter & a wireless transmitter & receiver?

Nice, looks like with the new OTA module for hopper, one can get the sub-channels.

Anyone knows how long one has to be ex-customer of dish for one to be qualified as NEW again?
I was a dish sub 2 months ago, paid all my bills and returned all equipment - and now thinking of coming back to Dish.

Am I understanding you correctly, if I had 2 hoppers with the ota dongle, then the other joeys could watch 2 separate ota channels

This is what I am trying to accomplish...........I want to be able to wirelessly mirror a hopper of joey to an upstairs tv that is seldom used. Is this something that I can accomplish with a hdmi splitter & a wireless transmitter & receiver?

Correct. 1 OTA tuner per Hopper. You will need two OTA dongles though.

As for mirroring, they do make wireless transmitters, in both the HDMI and component flavors. In theory it should work fine. However consider the cost of the transmitter vs Joey lease fees ($7 a month.)

You have 4 TVs, but only 3 tuners with your Hopper. So, if all TVs are being used, only 3 max could be watching live television; assuming, you have no recordings kicking off. Your 4th TV would be forced to watch something that has been recorded or is recording.

You may want to think about a second Hopper; especially, once you enable PTAT, throw in some other timers, those tuners can get used up pretty fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)