Upgrading to HWS got a EHD question

bbeanpin

Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
Longtime reader, first time poster. I am upgrading my 2 722's to a HWS and 1 Joey and I need to get my recorded shows off each. Can I buy one EHD transfer all shows to it and then hook it to the second 722 move all it's shows to the same EHD? And then mover all the shows to the HWS and disconnect the EHD?

Thanks for the fast reply. I just wanted to make sure I only had to buy 1 EHD to move the shows off both 722's to the HWS

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The Hoppers, both kinds, support at least 4 attached EHDs for read and write.
They only support the first 2 added, at a time for viewing and full operation.
Any of these may be on an unpowered switch. Powered required if not directly on power usually.
-Ken

The EHD wouldn't be used after I get everything transferred. We have always had more than enough space on the unit itself, we were just out of town for a few weeks and I scheduled the upgrade to quickly after our return. I guess we watch more tv than I thought.

So want I will do is connect it to one 722 move all the shows to it. Than connect it to the other 722 add its shows to the EHD. Than I can transfer all the shows to the HWS.

Is that correct or do the shows on the EHD have to be watched on the EHD? Not that that's a big deal I've just never used an EHD on dish so I am not familiar how they work.

You can do what you describe. I tend to be a pack rat on shows, so I save a lot to the ehd's for later viewing. Also, the ehd does not have the 20 show limit. I have over 50 episodes of the PBS show Globe Treker on one of my ehd. Also, keeping shows you want to save on an ehd prevents them from getting lost if the Hopper crashes.

Love Globe Trekker, sometimes that's how we pick a vacation destination, but that's about the only time we get behind. We will build up 10 or so episodes of new drama type shows before we start a new series. Never hit (or new about) the 20 episode limit, will have to keep an eye on that in the future.

I have several current series with over 200 episode each. One drive has a total of 1500 episodes--1/2 and 1 hour each.
I pack-rat a lot of movies, now about 3000 and a like number of TV shows and more than 2TB of PBS.
So the real question is will I ever see most of these. Probably not but they are there if I decide to watch.
-Ken

If you use the sling much, the HWS (maybe the H+sling too???) does not have access to the EHD like the 722+sling did

Unless the drive decides to die.
My only problems with drives were 1TB ones from Cavalry 2008 and Buffalo 2009.
The rest are WD, Hitachi, and Samsung, earliest 750G, later 1 or 2TB.
The two problems were the inability to transfer at faster than real time.
They were cured by emptying completely but slowly, initializing, and restocking.
They now seem to work just as well so it may have been directory errors or like.
Never did a surface scan but there may be help even for those that go bad.
-Ken

The EHD wouldn't be used after I get everything transferred. We have always had more than enough space on the unit itself, we were just out of town for a few weeks and I scheduled the upgrade to quickly after our return. I guess we watch more tv than I thought.

So want I will do is connect it to one 722 move all the shows to it. Than connect it to the other 722 add its shows to the EHD. Than I can transfer all the shows to the HWS.

Is that correct or do the shows on the EHD have to be watched on the EHD? Not that that's a big deal I've just never used an EHD on dish so I am not familiar how they work.

Be aware that a lot of people have had problems trying to transfer EHD recordings to the Hopper. I haven't read anything about this lately but it may not be safe to assume all of those bugs have been worked out. It might be smarter to leave the recordings on the EHD and watch them from there.

It seems this problem was fixed some time ago. But you can always try a single transfer of an unimportant show you recorded just for the purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have been reading about the problems also. I hope they are fixed but will test transfer a show to check. The main issue seemed to be the HWS seemed to want to reformat the drive but if that occurs it seems to just need a reset code or something sent to it from DISH.

I must say, I bought a 2TB drive and plugged it in the 722's to test and it worked. Nice to see a technology work with no problems, you know like it should. Nice job DISH!

I returned several shows back to my new HWS with no problems...about three months ago.

When you transfer shows to the EHD and then back to the HDD, you will often see them with a recorded year of 2106 and one date.
Note century. It seems to me they are picking up the wrong and constant field. The original air date and all else are unaffected.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)