upgrading tuner to dvr and avoiding upsell/lies

Status
Please reply by conversation.
First, I don't have any HD tvs. I don't watch TV that much, and I don't want to pay a premium for HD. I'm happy with the setup I have. I know that sounds hard to believe but I just want basic access to a few shows and am not interested in spending a fortune. Tivo works well. It works better than DTV's crappy DVR IMO. So for me, if it isn't broken, I don't want to fix it (and pay more).

As it stands, I'm paying DirecTV a bunch of money and if they can't help me maintain the status quo, then I'll just cancel my service altogether.

I find it hard to believe nobody out here seems to have any idea how these boxes work, or what the providers can and can't do.

First, I don't have any HD tvs. I don't watch TV that much, and I don't want to pay a premium for HD. I'm happy with the setup I have. I know that sounds hard to believe but I just want basic access to a few shows and am not interested in spending a fortune. Tivo works well. It works better than DTV's crappy DVR IMO. So for me, if it isn't broken, I don't want to fix it (and pay more).

As it stands, I'm paying DirecTV a bunch of money and if they can't help me maintain the status quo, then I'll just cancel my service altogether.

I find it hard to believe nobody out here seems to have any idea how these boxes work, or what the providers can and can't do.

What model TiVo are you trying to activate?

You mean the D* DVR's that you personally have never used ?

Many of us know plenty about the current DVRs D*is using as well as the older ones.
I already told you the limitations of the one your using currently.

If you want to keep using what your using, your entitled to do so.
D* wants to upgrade you to the current stuff before they shut the OLD stuff off entirely.

It's a Hughes HDVR2 unit.

I was told without the ID it would not work, BUT I put the card in an entirely different unit and erased and reset the device and it worked. (or I should say, I moved the hard drive over to the new unit, then erased and reset it) - I originally thought the power supply was bad, but it was the motherboard.

He said here what the model is.

Obviously they can support these units.. Is it possible the retention department might allow me to enable one or else I'll cancel my account?

Ok, now we're getting somewhere! I have two units I got off Ebay and the original boxes are here... on one box there's a tag that has:

* Model No (R15-300-R)
* Serial Number
* Cam ID

That box may or may not be the original box and could be for a different unit, but the other box - the one I want to activate is in the original box and has this information listed on the side:

HNS MOdel: HDVR2
HNS S/N
UPC
DVR Service #
DirecTV Cam#

Are any of those the mysterious RID number that is needed? So with this information I could activate the box?

The R15 has an RID on it, but it's not a Tivo. The HDVR2 is a Tivo, but it doesn't have an RID number. Neither one will do what you want.

The HDVR2 does not have an RID (none of the HDVR2 TiVos have an RID) and so definitely can't be activated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts