Uplink Activity 5/01/08 2:00 AM EDT -- 3 minor moves

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JohnH

Godfather of the Uplink Reports
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
UPLINK ACTIVITY: SAMPLE TAKEN 05-01-2008 02:01:59 TO 05-01-2008 02:03:03 ET

Code:
[SIZE='2']
[B] 3 MOVE(S) (May include other changes as well.)[/B]

MOVE  7801  KGWN MPEG2 SD Tp 21 EchoStar 1 148w [COLOR='Teal']AVAIL[/COLOR] HIDE MAP2 5
  TO  7801  KGWN MPEG2 SD Tp 15 EchoStar 1 148w [B][COLOR='Teal']AVAIL[/COLOR][/B] HIDE MAP2 5

MOVE  7850  WNCF MPEG2 SD Tp 31 Spot 11 EchoStar 10 110w [COLOR='Teal']AVAIL[/COLOR] HIDE MAP2 32
  TO  7850  WNCF MPEG2 SD Tp 2 EchoStar 8 110w [B][COLOR='Teal']AVAIL[/COLOR][/B] HIDE MAP2 32

MOVE  8042  WBRZ MPEG2 SD Tp 25 Spot 12 EchoStar 10 110w [COLOR='Teal']AVAIL[/COLOR] HIDE MAP 2
  TO  8042  WBRZ MPEG2 SD Tp 8 EchoStar 8 110w [B][COLOR='Teal']AVAIL[/COLOR][/B] HIDE MAP 2

3 CHANGE(S) 5097 CHANNELS IN THE SYSTEM
[/SIZE]

In the guide.....

for WNCF it shows that ABC is refusing to deliver signal unless they get a 160% rate increase prompting this move.

I'm glad I get it OTA.

It was just a slate, but they actually have an ad showing every so often that give a list of people to call including advertisers on WNCF and the programming director.

I don't believe this will take too long.

Hmmm.. WBRZ, thats a ABC affiliate here. Wonder if they are having contract issues with them.

Looks like it. On my dish network guide, for wbrz channel 2 it says "Wbrz (abc) is refusing to deliver signal to you after demanding an over 100% rate increase. Please call 1-888-889-7076 for more info.

for WNCF it shows that ABC is refusing to deliver signal unless they get a 160% rate increase prompting this move.

I'm glad I get it OTA.

It was just a slate, but they actually have an ad showing every so often that give a list of people to call including advertisers on WNCF and the programming director.

I don't believe this will take too long.

So WNCF is off the air on DISH and is replaced with a slate?

If this is the case, there's going to be hell to pay if my wife misses her Grey's Anatomy and I miss Lost tonight.

So WNCF is off the air on DISH and is replaced with a slate?

If this is the case, there's going to be hell to pay if my wife misses her Grey's Anatomy and I miss Lost tonight.

Not an ideal solution, but... worse case scenario you two can watch the shows online from ABC's website. I think they make shows available starting the day after they air.

I know that's not the same. But it's an option just in case.

Not an ideal solution, but... worse case scenario you two can watch the shows online from ABC's website. I think they make shows available starting the day after they air.

I know that's not the same. But it's an option just in case.

It's inconvenient and cost a little money, but if the dispute doesn't last too long, we'll probably just buy the episodes off of the Xbox marketplace and watch them that way. We missed the first episode of Lost back in Feb. due to a thunderstorm and we downloaded it on the xbox the next day and we were pretty happy with the experience.

It's inconvenient and cost a little money, but if the dispute doesn't last too long, we'll probably just buy the episodes off of the Xbox marketplace and watch them that way. We missed the first episode of Lost back in Feb. due to a thunderstorm and we downloaded it on the xbox the next day and we were pretty happy with the experience.

HA! Our ABC affiliate has been off since Jan. 1 and we get the "KTBS is refusing to deliver signal to you after demanding a 300% increase... blah blah blah." There doesn't appear to be any movement in the situation. The channel will have an occasional pre-recorded statement from Mr. Ergen, but no updates as to the status of negotiations. Luckily I get the channel OTA and timers fire correctly because for some reason when you go ahead more than a couple of days in the guide, show titles show up. On the bright side (said very sarcastically) Dish gave us the Hallmark channel (which I already got anyway).

So, don't hold your breath for a quick resolution. Maybe there is some sort of collective thing that ABC affiliates have decided to do and all of them are beginning to hold out for more money.

This one is relatively minor. THe BIG shoe with be the Fox Owned and Operated stations. If this lawsuit thing between Dish and Fox is not settled, then you might see Fox pull retrans rights. When do you think they would do that? Maybe September?

I don't get the whole 100%+ deal the stations are trying to pull; they are broadcasting FTA anyway.

Besides, wouldn't it benefit their advertising to make it avialble to as large an audience as possible?

It is called greed--Kron had it and now is losing money. Kron used to be our NBC affilate and wanted more Money from NBC and Dish they lost on both account. Dish pays them less now because they are no longer NBC greed gets you all the time

You can also watch all Lost episodes in HD-ish back to the beginning at abc.com. And it's free, with very limited commercials (I generally see one per break). Given that I have an HTPC hooked up using DVI to a 65-inch DLP, it's actually a pretty decent experience all in all to watch. Might not be as satisfying on a 19-inch monitor, but hey, it's free.

I don't get the whole 100%+ deal the stations are trying to pull; they are broadcasting FTA anyway.

That's the problem, copyright law is in conflict with reality. I don't know why people put up with it -- any law that conflicts with reality ought to be abolished and the people who enacted it removed from society as insane. The government ought not to be using its power to force people to respect the sanctity of a non-physical object -- that's imposing a religion and they're not allowed to do that.

I am a self admitted technofacist. if there is new tech better than the existing tech then the existing tech HAS to go, and has to go as QUICKLY as possible. Broadcast TV is on its last legs. the only reason they still exist is old people, technophobes, and government interference. internet domination of all other media is inevitable. why buy a blu ray disk player when you can download an HD version of the program on your XBOX360? the internet is growing exponentially into a media format, to end all other formats. The broadcast networks fight tooth, and nail to get a bigger piece of a shrinking market. newspapers are cutting staff, and in some cases shutting down completely as their circulation dies. it is only a matter of time before the broadcast networks follow suit. even cable, and satellite will eventually be left behind. change is inevitable...except from a vending machine.

I am a self admitted technofacist. if there is new tech better than the existing tech then the existing tech HAS to go, and has to go as QUICKLY as possible. Broadcast TV is on its last legs. the only reason they still exist is old people, technophobes, and government interference. internet domination of all other media is inevitable. why buy a blu ray disk player when you can download an HD version of the program on your XBOX360? the internet is growing exponentially into a media format, to end all other formats. The broadcast networks fight tooth, and nail to get a bigger piece of a shrinking market. newspapers are cutting staff, and in some cases shutting down completely as their circulation dies. it is only a matter of time before the broadcast networks follow suit. even cable, and satellite will eventually be left behind. change is inevitable...except from a vending machine.

Broadcast TV will be around for quite a while. It's free TV and is very easy to receive.

90% of our viewing comes from an antenna in my home.

This isnt completely true.. most original programmign originates from the networks. Affiliates are just trying to cash in.

I am a self admitted technofacist. if there is new tech better than the existing tech then the existing tech HAS to go, and has to go as QUICKLY as possible.

Fascist is a perfect term for that - someone who labels something as "better", and then forces it on everyone else. Like saying that one race is "better" than another.

The Free Market always works - people choose what they like, and the things not chosen die out naturally.