Uplink Activity 6/02/08 6:45 PM EDT - 73 CHANGES

Am I the only one that actually likes the mapdowns?

I posit that if VOOM had been mapped down to *something* at least people would have noticed it was there... I downgraded my in-laws to HD Essential the night I asked them if they ever watched anything in the 9400's and got the deer-in-headlights response to my query.

Am I the only one that actually likes the mapdowns?

Nope, I'm with you. For a while I liked all of the HD channels in the 9000 range but as Dish added more and more HD I decided to lock out the 9000 channels and stick with the mapdowns.

Nope, I'm with you. For a while I liked all of the HD channels in the 9000 range but as Dish added more and more HD I decided to lock out the 9000 channels and stick with the mapdowns.

same here. the guide is more pleasant to look at now.

Here's an interesting tidbit to ponder...
So maybe both theories are true. These channels are for dishHD Only subs AND the Eastern Arc :)
No, this is not for Eastern Arc because it includes 110 & 129, and it includes MPEG2-HD channels.

Briefly, Dish uplinked the Eastern Arc mirrors of 110 to 61.5 as MPEG4-HD channels, but then when it was decided to postpone Eastern Arc to September, they pulled down the mirrors and replaced them with the new National HD channels.

No, this is not for Eastern Arc because it includes 110 & 129, and it includes MPEG2-HD channels.

Briefly, Dish uplinked the Eastern Arc mirrors of 110 to 61.5 as MPEG4-HD channels, but then when it was decided to postpone Eastern Arc to September, they pulled down the mirrors and replaced them with the new National HD channels.
I understand that the current Sat/TP mapping isn't for the Eastern Arc. After all the Eastern Arc doesn't exist yet.

But if Scott is correct, the initial incarnation of the Eastern Arc will be exclusively for new HD only subs. Hence, if you believe this list is for current HD Only subs, then it is likely to be the beginnings of the list for the Eastern Arc HD Only subs too -- by definition.

Of course lots can change between now and September. The current up-linked National HD channels and their exact Sat/TP designations, almost has to change by then. Otherwise Dish would not be able to offer new HD Only Eastern Arc subs the full set of HD channels included in the current HD Only package with a single dish.

And then there is the MPEG2->MPEG4 receiver upgrade to consider. Maybe by Sept. Dish will be able to squeeze those legacy MPEG2 HD channels back onto 61.5 etal. :)

Talon Dancer

But the 41xx is also not for current HD Only subs either - otherwise it would not be hidden from them.

So, it is for some purpose other than current HD Only subs, other than Eastern Arc, other than Puerto Rico - none of those possibilities fit as explained in various posts above.

So, it seems to be an "HD Only" package for CONUS residents who do not currently subscribe to Dish Network - as someone mentioned, perhaps for AT&T customers or some other external group.

It is for right now, otherwise there would not have been a second change to make them "Available" to the package subscribers.

The likelihood that it is not Dish Network is further borne out by the fact that no one has popped to say "oh, I heard that these are for... "

Why would dish waste space by putting legacy MPEG2 HD on 61.5?
Assuming Dish manages to upgrade all the current MPEG2 HD receivers by the time the Eastern Arc kicks off (e.g. Sept.) they probably won't be "legacy MPEG2 HD" channels anymore -- they'll be MPEG4 HD just like the other HD channels they "waste space" duplicating on 129 and 61.5 right now :)

If Scott is right, that the Eastern Arc will be for new HD Only subs (at least to begin with), then Dish will be forced to provide the current "legacy HD" channels on one of the Eastern Arc sats. in order to use those fancy new dish 1000.4s.

Talon Dancer

Assuming Dish manages to upgrade all the current MPEG2 HD receivers by the time the Eastern Arc kicks off (e.g. Sept.) they probably won't be "legacy MPEG2 HD" channels anymore -- they'll be MPEG4 HD just like the other HD channels they "waste space" duplicating on 129 and 61.5 right now :)

If Scott is right, that the Eastern Arc will be for new HD Only subs (at least to begin with), then Dish will be forced to provide the current "legacy HD" channels on one of the Eastern Arc sats. in order to use those fancy new dish 1000.4s.

Talon Dancer

If Eastern Arc started today they still wouldn't have any MPEG2 HD on it. All the HD receivers would be MPEG4 capable.

Talon Dancer

I have seen Scott say that Eastern Arc will be for NEW Dish subs in the beginnig, then legacy subs will get a chance to switch. I have missed the part where he said it will be new HD only subs.. If I am not mistaken, MPEG4 sd will be a part of Eastern Arc.

But the 41xx is also not for current HD Only subs either - otherwise it would not be hidden from them.

So, it is for some purpose other than current HD Only subs, other than Eastern Arc, other than Puerto Rico - none of those possibilities fit as explained in various posts above...."
AFAIK we agree on the facts. And even agree on the speculation that this mapping is meant for a 'new package'. The only significant difference in our speculative outcomes is our underlying different assumptions about TIMING.

You seem to assume that Dish would not have gone to the trouble of up-linking on a Monday unless this 'new package' was already available to someone (or would be sometime this week). While I am willing to entertain the idea that this 'new package' could be a re-branded version of the existing dishHD (only) package (e.g. dishHD Absolute) that is being tested this week for announcement later, perhaps on the Charlie chat next week.

Talon Dancer

If Eastern Arc started today they still wouldn't have any MPEG2 HD on it. All the HD receivers would be MPEG4 capable.
I'm sorry. Perhaps I haven't been clear. I am assuming that there will be no need for Dish to have ANY MPEG2 HD channels on any satellite by the time the Eastern Arc is kicked off (September), because Dish is currently upgrading ALL the MEPG2 HD receivers to MPEG4 receivers for free. Hence the "legacy MPEG2 HD" channels will be so only as a historical reference "soon" :)

Talon Dancer

I have seen Scott say that Eastern Arc will be for NEW Dish subs in the beginnig, then legacy subs will get a chance to switch. I have missed the part where he said it will be new HD only subs.. If I am not mistaken, MPEG4 sd will be a part of Eastern Arc.
Scott posted this change of plans in the updated Team Summit Meet & Greet sticky thread. Start with post #145 for context.

BTW in the change of plans link "it" refers to the Eastern Arc.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
Old subs use the EA right now. Part of the US cannot see 129 and are put on EA. What Dish is not going to do is pay to come out and put a new dish on an old sub's site to point to EA when they have a working 129 system and hear about a new wizbang EA thing.

MPEG4 SD will be part of EA too. There are a lot of channels that do not have an HD channel yet. What is not clear is if they will put both the MPEG4 SD and HD version of the same channel.

Old subs use the EA right now. Part of the US cannot see 129 and are put on EA. What Dish is not going to do is pay to come out and put a new dish on an old sub's site to point to EA when they have a working 129 system and hear about a new wizbang EA thing.

MPEG4 SD will be part of EA too. There are a lot of channels that do not have an HD channel yet. What is not clear is if they will put both the MPEG4 SD and HD version of the same channel.

Why would Dish put both MPEG4 SD and HD versions of the same channel up. Is there any practical reason why they would do that? Aren't all MPEG4 receivers HD receivers?

Why would Dish put both MPEG4 SD and HD versions of the same channel up. Is there any practical reason why they would do that? Aren't all MPEG4 receivers HD receivers?
Yes, but not all new EA subs will be HD subs. They can get ViP receivers, but the HD channels will be disabled for their accounts.

Yes, but not all new EA subs will be HD subs. They can get ViP receivers, but the HD channels will be disabled for their accounts.

Don't most HD receivers have both a HD and a RCA output for TV1? Wouldn't it be possible to do a software update disabling the HD ports unless a HD enabling fee had been paid? Don't know, just asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts