Uplink Activity Report - 1/14/2009 1:02am - 418 changes

For those talking about HD RSN's...

Why would Dish put full-time HD RSN's at both 61.5 and 129? Who on the west coast wants to see a HD RSN from the east coast?

Doesn't make sense

Think about all the wailing that happened when the Big10 network stopped being national.... same difference, just a different accent to the wailing.

Uh, by far - not even close - the best HD programming of the past 5 years has all been on Premium HD channels .

So what you are saying is:

I don't believe I ever claimed the premium HD channels were inferior or bad as far as content. I simply said I hope the TEMP HD channels are non-premium national hd. Why? Because I don't get Showtime or HBO.

Yes, I would rather have upconverted, pillarboxed (not stretched) SD content on an HD channel that I get than real HD on a channel that I don't get. I also don't care how many HD PPV's dish has or how good they look, because I never order them.

Two new IL HD LiL DMAs in the map, Peoria-Bloomington and Champaign-Decatur-Springfield. They need these to stop the migration to D* which has occurred over the last 4 months when D* added them.

I was floored to see these added! I talked to one of the CSR's at E* a couple of weeks ago and he said there was no plans to add Peoria-Bloomington locals in HD. So I asked him if he thought I should switch to D* when my contract runs out this spring for those and he didn't have an answer. Now I do!!!! Wonder why no WTVP (PBS)? I think 47-2 is national PBS, so maybe that's it. Comes in well OTA either way.

4604 - WHOI [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Peoria, IL)
4605 - WMBD [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Peoria, IL)
4606 - WEEK [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Peoria, IL)
4607 - WYZZ [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Bloomington, IL)

This is interesting. They removed the EA SD versions of the two HD channels they added today. I suppose this makes sense since all ViP receivers can downconvert HD, but it'll result in larger recordings for people who just wanted to record SD. Is this the first time they've used this strategy? Do they actually do EA installs for people who only want SD, or do you have to subscribe to HD?

I'd be willing to bet you see more of this next month when many local stations stop broadcasting their SD signal.

Does anyone think that Dish might push some HD in early February to combat the fact that ATT switches to D* Feb. 1?

Or do we think that Dish is resigned to losing 10s of thousands of customers to ATT-Directv in Q1?

Does anyone think that Dish might push some HD in early February to combat the fact that ATT switches to D* Feb. 1?

Or do we think that Dish is resigned to losing 10s of thousands of customers to ATT-Directv in Q1?
Not for that reason, but if they do light up new HD it will probably be to make the coming price increase easier to swallow.

I'm an ATT/Dish sub and I'm staying right where I am. If I have to unbundle, so be it.

I'd be willing to bet you see more of this next month when many local stations stop broadcasting their SD signal.

Stations won't stop broadcasting their SD signal, only their analog signal. Analog is SD only, digital can be SD only (we have four OTA's that are--CW, MyN, PBS, and PBS's Create channel), a combination of SD and HD (probably most, including our ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox affiliates), or HD only (our national PBS feed).

Not for that reason, but if they do light up new HD it will probably be to make the coming price increase easier to swallow.

I'm an ATT/Dish sub and I'm staying right where I am. If I have to unbundle, so be it.

Plus, ATT has not said anything to their customers so it will be business as usual comes Feb. 1st.

Why would Dish put full-time HD RSN's at both 61.5 and 129? Who on the west coast wants to see a HD RSN from the east coast?

Doesn't make sense

I live in east coast but because I subscribe to international channel, I am on the western arc. I get all my HD from 129 and not 61.5

Two new IL HD LiL DMAs in the map, Peoria-Bloomington and Champaign-Decatur-Springfield. They need these to stop the migration to D* which has occurred over the last 4 months when D* added them.

Too bad they're only uplinked to 129 - I have no LOS to 129 due to trees, so no HD locals for me, I guess.

As low as 129 is to Central Illinois, you'd think we'd be on Eastern Arc.

I was floored to see these added! I talked to one of the CSR's at E* a couple of weeks ago and he said there was no plans to add Peoria-Bloomington locals in HD. So I asked him if he thought I should switch to D* when my contract runs out this spring for those and he didn't have an answer. Now I do!!!! Wonder why no WTVP (PBS)? I think 47-2 is national PBS, so maybe that's it. Comes in well OTA either way.

4604 - WHOI [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Peoria, IL)
4605 - WMBD [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Peoria, IL)
4606 - WEEK [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Peoria, IL)
4607 - WYZZ [MPEG4 HD] added to (NA)(Bloomington, IL)

Currently the DBS companies are only required to provide the Big Four. They have to provide all of them a few years from now.

Doesn't make sense

I do, there are many college football games that interest me. I have part time HD RSNs already so if if became full time all the better.

Stations won't stop broadcasting their SD signal, only their analog signal.
I think what bsexton meant was stations will stop broadcasting both SD and HD DTV. Yes, some stations are actually doing this, why I don't know.

Dish is forced to do this for customers still using mpeg-2 receivers. But for EA customers, they won't waste bandwidth with an mpeg-4 SD version of an mpeg-4 HD channel (when it exists), since all EA customers, regardless of programming package, can still watch a down-converted version of the sole remaining HD mpeg-4 channel.

8232 - KMTP (A) (H) removed from EchoStar10 110W TP 31 Spotbeam 43(CA) (San Francisco, CA)

Does anyone know why this channel was removed. My wife watches this channel often. I don't see any info regarding why this channel was removed. The only thing that is displayed was a message stating to switch to one of the other PBS stations in the area.

KMTP-TV32, Digital 33 is licensed to Minority Television Project, Inc., a not-for-profit [501 (c) (3)] corporation, and serves the San Francisco Bay Area as a non-commercial public television station.

KMTP-TV32, Digital 33’s mission is multicultural diversity – through information, education and the arts – bringing significant programming to underrepresented groups in addition to broader audiences in the San Francisco Bay Area.

KMTP is the smallest and youngest public television station in the market. For the past ten years, it has been dedicated to addressing socially conscious issues as well as diversity in its programming fare. Its dedication is reflected in its programming and mission and organization.

8232 - KMTP (A) (H) removed from EchoStar10 110W TP 31 Spotbeam 43(CA) (San Francisco, CA)

Does anyone know why this channel was removed. My wife watches this channel often. I don't see any info regarding why this channel was removed. The only thing that is displayed was a message stating to switch to one of the other PBS stations in the area.

KMTP-TV32, Digital 33 is licensed to Minority Television Project, Inc., a not-for-profit [501 (c) (3)] corporation, and serves the San Francisco Bay Area as a non-commercial public television station.

KMTP-TV32, Digital 33’s mission is multicultural diversity – through information, education and the arts – bringing significant programming to underrepresented groups in addition to broader audiences in the San Francisco Bay Area.

KMTP is the smallest and youngest public television station in the market. For the past ten years, it has been dedicated to addressing socially conscious issues as well as diversity in its programming fare. Its dedication is reflected in its programming and mission and organization.

Don't really have an answer to your question but don't we already have channel 54 and channel 9 for PBS already?