Uplink Activity Report - 10/8/2008 1:02pm - 89 changes

More junk added to the once nearly free TP. Just another indication Dish has little desire to do what they promised: use E11 to launch more HD.

Anyway, it's right next to the Obama channel on 5890. The future McCain Channel?

Maybe the new HD channels will be launched on the first Wednesday in November - which is the day after the election and they could remove the Obama and McCain channels, and then use the whole transponder.

Perhaps this is because I have bundled AT&T service, but when I called today to have someone come out and install a wing dish so we could see the Packers in HD, I was told at first that it's not available, then told that it would be available as of 4 pm CST today and finally told that their computers haven't been updated, yet, and to wait 3 more days and call in again. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

-waiting in Madison

That is similar to my problems getting the wing some month's ago. DISH announced my locals in HD were available so I called DISH. Set the appointment for the additional Dish. The installer came out, then said he wasn't able to do the install. The CSR put in the order wrong. HD wasn't avail. despite the announcement. That's why I'd like someone to ACTUALLY see it in the Greenville, NC market before I call.

I'll trade you. I have just ABC in HD in Scranton, PA!

Wow! Same here! I just saw that posted!

I guess this would explain why the SD feed of WNEP was down earlier today.

Now I need to run to the TV and see if this is real!!!!

That is similar to my problems getting the wing some month's ago. DISH announced my locals in HD were available so I called DISH. Set the appointment for the additional Dish. The installer came out, then said he wasn't able to do the install. The CSR put in the order wrong. HD wasn't avail. despite the announcement. That's why I'd like someone to ACTUALLY see it in the Greenville, NC market before I call.
I am watching it now!:)

Uh, no. I just looked!

The SD feed still has the "sorry for the inconvenience" slate, and the HD version comes up with a "acquiring sat signal"

So now I have NO wnep!!

Anyone else in my area to confirm this?

I can't check right now because I have 2 recordings going, but this afternoon my SD feed still worked fine (I don't have an EA smartcard, so I'm not getting the MPEG4 one), and the HD version went to the acquiring sat signal screen and then went to the slate. Did you get a new smartcard? If not, I would think your receiver would still be looking for the MPEG2 version of the SD channels.

If you read the thread in the Pub a couple of weeks ago, it said that the signal wouldn't cover Clinton County and parts of Lycoming, Snyder, Union, and Northumberland Counties. It's funny that I get a signal strength of 6 on the spotbeam for Scranton and 67 on the one for Philadelphia and Washington when the only spotbeam map I've ever found has me on the edge of the one for Scranton (or wherever it's really aimed) and nowhere near the one for the other two! Evidently the spotbeam map was wrong. But now the question becomes, with MPEG4 why couldn't Dish put enough channels on the beams to cover all of the Scranton DMA, particularly in light of the fact that the parts they don't cover are the ones with the worst (or no) OTA signal.

It's in the legend on the uplink report at the bottom:

(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers

If you don't subscribe to the channel you won't see it in the guide at all.

Thanks - stupid me, I was looking for thatkey, but couldn't find it!

I can't check right now because I have 2 recordings going, but this afternoon my SD feed still worked fine (I don't have an EA smartcard, so I'm not getting the MPEG4 one), and the HD version went to the acquiring sat signal screen and then went to the slate. Did you get a new smartcard? If not, I would think your receiver would still be looking for the MPEG2 version of the SD channels.

If you read the thread in the Pub a couple of weeks ago, it said that the signal wouldn't cover Clinton County and parts of Lycoming, Snyder, Union, and Northumberland Counties. It's funny that I get a signal strength of 6 on the spotbeam for Scranton and 67 on the one for Philadelphia and Washington when the only spotbeam map I've ever found has me on the edge of the one for Scranton (or wherever it's really aimed) and nowhere near the one for the other two! Evidently the spotbeam map was wrong. But now the question becomes, with MPEG4 why couldn't Dish put enough channels on the beams to cover all of the Scranton DMA, particularly in light of the fact that the parts they don't cover are the ones with the worst (or no) OTA signal.

INTERESTING INFO!
I am in Williamsport PA, 17701 which is in Lycoming county. I did not get a new card in the mail yet, so maybe that is my problem? I sure hope I don't have to get the new EA dish just to get my HD locals!
And yes, OTA is VERY poor throughout this area. I can't get ANY of the HD chs OTA, and only a few fuzzy SD chs (that my 722 can't decode anyways) so I am stuck with whatever dish gives me. No OTA here.

The EA dish and the new smartcard wouldn't do you any good. The HD channels and the MPEG4 SD channels are on the same spotbeam, which doesn't cover us.

What I'm not following here is why you're not getting the SD channels, unless it's a temporary failure. Nothing should've changed.

How can I tell where my dish is pointing too? Even if I don't have a dish pointed towards 61.5, I should still be able to pick up the channel in my channel listings correct? Because Fox 47 out of Madison is not showing up as a HD channel, but I should still be able to get this in the programming guide, correct?

So if I don't have a 61.5 dish, what are the next steps in order to receive my locals in HD.

Thanks alot!

Maybe the new HD channels will be launched on the first Wednesday in November - which is the day after the election and they could remove the Obama and McCain channels, and then use the whole transponder.

I wish. The following is on TP 19:

403 - NHLN
625 - NHLN
845 - TELAM
852 - SETA
5890 - OBAMA
5891 - TEMP08 (Not Available)
6198 - SETAS (Not Available)
9990 - ECT10

The first is the NHL Network, the second appears to be an NHL Center Ice Channel, the second two and second to last appear to be Latino channels (2 may be Setanta sports, maybe the other one is Telemundo), and god knows what the last one is.

Mostly junk that could probably find a home elsewhere. It would just be confidence boosting to see it completely cleared and switched to 8PSK FEC 5/6 like the rest of the 110 HD TPs rather than being the dumping ground for miscellaneous SD additions that are of limited interest. After the MPEG4 transition (whatever happened to that?), TP19 is still is probably the best hope for more 110 HD space.

Last edited:
How can I tell where my dish is pointing too? Even if I don't have a dish pointed towards 61.5, I should still be able to pick up the channel in my channel listings correct? Because Fox 47 out of Madison is not showing up as a HD channel, but I should still be able to get this in the programming guide, correct?

So if I don't have a 61.5 dish, what are the next steps in order to receive my locals in HD.

Thanks alot!

Pressing menu 6-1-3 (should be the system information screen) should tell you. See if a box labeled 61.5 lights up green. You can also look outside at your dishes. If you have 2 dishes, one pointing close to 90 degrees from the other (the 61.5 Dish pointing Southeast, the other pointing southwest), you have 61.5. If not you need to get one. Time to play CSR roulette. You should at least be able to talk them into a "free" install for a new 2 year agreement. If you are firm, you may be able to get it for free (particularly from customer retention).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)