Uplink Activity Report - 9/4/8 - 3 AM 94 changes

Thank you both for the FEC crash course.

Back to MHD, it had good selection of HD music shows and was not that repetitive, unless the new Palladia deal changed that.

Is this programming guide information for local OTA digital sub channels? I wish they would have added programming info for CBS here in Wilmington, NC over the 2 weather channels.
Dumb

ADD 15147 WWAY2 EEPG Tp 29 Spot 2 EchoStar 10 110w UNAVAIL HIDE

ADD 15149 WECT2 EEPG Tp 27 Spot 2 EchoStar 10 110w UNAVAIL HIDE

ADD 15150 WUNJ2 EEPG Tp 27 Spot 2 EchoStar 10 110w UNAVAIL HIDE

ADD 15151 WUNJ3 EEPG Tp 27 Spot 2 EchoStar 10 110w UNAVAIL HIDE

ADD 15152 WUNJ4 EEPG Tp 27 Spot 2 EchoStar 10 110w UNAVAIL HIDE

ADD 15153 WUNJ5 EEPG Tp 27 Spot 2 EchoStar 10 110w UNAVAIL HIDE

The change is because MTV-HD, VH1HD and CMT-HD are coming and will (FINALLY) have real HD content. So MTV netorks is building this new brand to showcast live concerts.

What difference does it make? MHD had zero programming in common with any of those channels anyway. Or, maybe 5%.

The name "Music: High Definition" was a little clunky, but it described the programming.

Paladia is the plural of a precious metal used in industrial applications.

Back to MHD, it had good selection of HD music shows and was not that repetitive, unless the new Palladia deal changed that.

It appears to carry the same programming it did last week and the week before, and the week before. (With the exception that they have Monterey Pop on tonight - don't remember seeing that on before.)

The logo bug is nice and tiny...gotta like that. But from a marketing perspective, this is the dumbest name change ever.

It appears to carry the same programming it did last week and the week before, and the week before. (With the exception that they have Monterey Pop on tonight - don't remember seeing that on before.)

The logo bug is nice and tiny...gotta like that. But from a marketing perspective, this is the dumbest name change ever.

Yes i believe the monterey pop is new but it will be on a million times over the next 2 weeks. Nothing changed but the name.The same old summerfest concerts are on again now, same shows as before. I saw the word palladia with a big butterfly looking thing. Wasnt that tiny.

Yeah, I just saw the butterfly/moth thing a second ago. But the other 90% of the time, it's very unobtrusive.

BTW, the show that's on right now is branded "CMT" all over it. Soooooo...

The good news...it looks like they've picked up some Glastonbury stuff.

The new slogan is "Epic. Awesome. Music." If you're going to totally rebrand a channel to make it seem fresh and modern, you're going to want to go back and rewatch Wayne's World to find out how the kids are talking these days.

I think the original slogan they wanted was "Sweet. Choice. Tunage."

Would the change from 5/6 to 7/8 FEC cause the Signal Strength Screen reading to go down ?

My readings on EchoStar 11 are lower, except that the HD transponders like transponder 7 have not changed, and EchoStar 10 is not lower.

I think so. All the transponders that changed to 7/8 FEC today went down in the SS screen.

Just an example, TP 11 was at 58 when Echostar 11 went live it went to 73. Now that same TP is at 66.

I think so. All the transponders that changed to 7/8 FEC today went down in the SS screen.

Just an example, TP 11 was at 58 when Echostar 11 went live it went to 73. Now that same TP is at 66.

Yep, it seems the receivers use a type of signal quality/signal strength calculation. The FEC was brought up so it brought the error rate up a bit. But as you can see it is still better than what you had before.

Yep, it seems the receivers use a type of signal quality/signal strength calculation. The FEC was brought up so it brought the error rate up a bit. But as you can see it is still better than what you had before.

The signal bar is an inverse measure of the bit errors. The more errors in the signal the lower the signal bar goes. The fewer the errors the higher the bar goes. There are now more bits of signal verses error correction, so more chance for there to be errors in the signal. The actual power output of the satellite remains constant.

Now, that the 110 location is occupied by Echostar 10 & 11, doesn't that mean a huge amount of free space available for more channels or because of Echostar 6 leaving, Echostar 11 picked up all of it's bandwith? Also, is Echostar 11 using 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of it's capacity right now?

There is more free space available for more channels on the 19 transponders being provided by EchoStar 11 (the satellite is capable of 32 transponders, but 10 are already provided by EchoStar 10, and 3 are owned by DirecTV, who also have a satellite at 110).

In order to make that space available, Dish has to move the SD channels around on the transponders in order to free up a fourth HD transponder.

Those moves need to happen late at night, in order not to disrupt customer TV viewing. It will take a few nights to get done.

On September 17th, Dish will convert the 3 HD transponders on 110 from MPEG2 to MPEG4 - which also makes more room for new channels, and so I think that that is also the target date for completion of the channel moves.