Uplink Activity Wednesday, November 16th 2005

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm in your situation. Do I buy(lease $250) or do I wait for the 411/211 or do I wait for the 962 HD DVR. Tough decesion. What to do, what to do??

Yeah, but I dont wanna drop ~300 for a lease, im gonna buy it outright (and need to anywho, already a sub)

CKNA said:
It's been 8psk turbo from the beginning. It's just that people believe too much what was said on Tech chat. Some people tried to explain it here but many here do not know and are stubborn. So they keep repeating this stupid myth.

I couldn't find a good thread about that Tech Chat here...what was the deal? There was a link to another thread that I posted in for a while before I realized it was on "the other guys".

Anyway, I kept asking for confirmation of this over there. (Or if Turbo was new, was the 40% improvement over QPSK or 8PSK?) The thread consisted of a few people like me asking for some more tech details, and a bunch of people saying "They're going to convert HD to 8PSK!" and "Will they replace my 811 with an 8PSK receiver?" The actual experts never showed. :)

The fact that Scott G and other "big dogs" (and not just the usual idiots) continue to dispute this means there will continue to be confusion. The supposed "8PSK-Turbo" software updates adds to the "stupid myth".

Personally speaking, my logic circuits tend to agree with you. But I know and trust Scott G and others, and I don't know you, so I tend to believe him.

So, the confusion will continue. I don't really care as long as they turn 'em on soon.

It's nice how these forums bring together people with different areas of expertise. I know a lot about creating digital video, but nothing about transmitting it. I had just finished explaining pixel aspect ratios to Hokienginer in another thread and was thinking "this guy can't be an engineer!" Then I come to another thread and he's schooling me on Forward Error Correction. But that can cause problems...I sometimes trust someone who helped me on one topic, and it turns out later they were dead wrong on a different topic.

goaliebob99 said:
NBC,ABC,CBS,Fox, UPN, WB, and PBS

Does UPN even broadcast anything in HD? I know that in my DMA, the UPN station is the only network station not broadcasting HD, but I don't know if that's network-wide or just that station. I haven't seen UPN since Buffy went off the air.

BrettTRay said:
Thats what I've alway wondered is why don't the SD receiver that can do 8psk not be able to downrez the HD channels that you subscribe to that you get on your HD receiver. My parents like some of the HD channels content that they air regardless if its in HD or not like the hd nets and some of the voom channels.

Putting that capability in would make you 90% on your way to just being an HD receiver. Doesn't make sense financially.

However, I personally believe the 411 (or a later version) will eventually become the standard base receiver. The fact that it puts out HD and SD simultaniously, but has cost-cutting features (IR only remote, ect.) is a clue. Volume would drive the price down, and people would have more incentive to upgrade to HD packages sooner if they already had the hardware. Even I waited a few months after getting an HD set before buying the 942.

M Sparks said:
Does UPN even broadcast anything in HD? I know that in my DMA, the UPN station is the only network station not broadcasting HD, but I don't know if that's network-wide or just that station. I haven't seen UPN since Buffy went off the air.

yes most prime time programming on upn is in hd :) with the execption of friday smack down.

I will miss the UHF remote MOST of all. I have a 26in LCD on top of my dresser, and I hid my 508 underneath my dresser. The bottom of my dresser has a green glow from the led light on the front of the 508 and it makes my dresser look "Pimped out".( Kind of like cars with neon underneath)

Goalie: Earlier in the thread, I thought you were talking about a channel called "National HD". Not the nets. Sorry for misunderstanding! I almost thought I was missing out on a new channel.

M Sparks said:

One on One," "Half & Half," "Girlfriends" and "Second Time Around &
Everybody Hates Chris.” & SEX, LOVE AND SECRETS & EVE & CUTS & LOVE INC are in HD

I bet the E* engineers are getting a good kick out of this thread.

Think about this people... if there indeed was an upgrade to the receivers to enable this new modulation scheme wouldn't it be a forced upgrade? To quote the nazi guy off of Falling Down..."Think about it!" ;)

M Sparks said:
I couldn't find a good thread about that Tech Chat here...what was the deal? There was a link to another thread that I posted in for a while before I realized it was on "the other guys".

Anyway, I kept asking for confirmation of this over there. (Or if Turbo was new, was the 40% improvement over QPSK or 8PSK?) The thread consisted of a few people like me asking for some more tech details, and a bunch of people saying "They're going to convert HD to 8PSK!" and "Will they replace my 811 with an 8PSK receiver?" The actual experts never showed. :)

The fact that Scott G and other "big dogs" (and not just the usual idiots) continue to dispute this means there will continue to be confusion. The supposed "8PSK-Turbo" software updates adds to the "stupid myth".

Personally speaking, my logic circuits tend to agree with you. But I know and trust Scott G and others, and I don't know you, so I tend to believe him.

So, the confusion will continue. I don't really care as long as they turn 'em on soon.

It's nice how these forums bring together people with different areas of expertise. I know a lot about creating digital video, but nothing about transmitting it. I had just finished explaining pixel aspect ratios to Hokienginer in another thread and was thinking "this guy can't be an engineer!" Then I come to another thread and he's schooling me on Forward Error Correction. But that can cause problems...I sometimes trust someone who helped me on one topic, and it turns out later they were dead wrong on a different topic.

No one has given a solid answer yet about 8psk & 8psk-turbo.

What I think (after reading multiple threads on multiple boards) is Dish has been using either 8psk or 8psk-turbo on the HD channels. There is now a new software upgrade for 8psk-turbo which will improve compression by 30%.

All 3 digit receivers (except 5XX & 721) can decode any version of 8psk.

Dish is going to release the new Voom channels in the new 8psk-turbo compression. This is why Scotts source said 8psk-turbo was added in the new 942 software release notes and why there was just a 6000 upgrade.

Anyone wanna clear this up? Scott, JohnH, P. Smith, HokieEngineer?

As I said before from what I know this is an upgraded version of the Turbo 8PSK, it is better then the current version of 8PSK running, how better it is I don't know but they seem hot on it.

It must work as they added all those new HD channels up there.

I am sure we will be hearing a lot more about this in January.

NOTHING CHANGED for 8PSK transponders !

NOTHING !

They still using 8PSK modulation and Turbo Coding for error correction.

The horse is dead ! :) Forever !

Then why are they rolling out software upgrades for HD boxes for upgraded 8PSK Turbo if it's already there?

Again I am only going on what I am being told, but again I am being told that its an upgraded format.

I am not as technical as you on this so I go on what I am told and I have no reason to doubt what I am being told especially since they are putting out new software just for this.

I would LOVE more technical insight on this.

In the uplink reports I have seen so far is 8psk, Qpsk, and Qpsk turbocoded... I Would imagin that for turbo 8psk it would show up on as that tp is 8psk turbo. Atleast I Would think that's how it would be viewed. but 8psk turbo has yet to be seen.. (according to the uplink data) those new channels are in qpsk... But keep in mind that John H and both Psmith have said that those tp's are not in Qpsk as one is lead to belive. I wish the godfather would come over here and give a little insite.. on what there seeing exactly.. It's hard for me to tell as I dont have the ability to tune into 8psk tps... It would make life alot easer if I had that ability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newbie Needs Help

Will the 522/625 record close captioning?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)