Uploading recorded shows from the 722 to the Hopper

reilly9999

Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Roseburg, Oregon
Hello everyone,
My Hopper and one Joey are going to be installed next Monday and I had a question about the recorded shows on the 722.
We have a EHD, but it is almost full, so I can't just dump everything from the 722. I'm curious if the recorded shows from the
722 can be downloaded to the Hopper before I give it to him?
Anyone with any experience with this?
Thanks,
Jack

I have tried direct USB to USB transfer from 722k to Hopper and it does not work, only option is to transfer your shows to an EHD and then upload them to the Hopper. Its an easy process, just takes about 24 hours to do.

There have been reports of some protected content on EHDs not playing back on the Hopper, like recordings from channels you no longer subscribe to. So if that's the case, I recommend you go ahead and watch those or put them on DVD or on your PC. Otherwise you may lose them.

Good grief! Was there any characteristic in common to the ones that didn't transfer?

Take my advice and watch the shows on the hopper from your EHD. I moved about 10 shows from my EHD to the hopper and only about half of them would play back. I'm getting an error 04 message and I've basically lost those recordings.

Thanks for the heads up smokey982, good advice. I was going through my EHD recordings to purge and make some room. I ran across some movies recorded from EPI:mad:when it was free, I don't subscribe to them)
and checked play back on a couple of movies directly from the EHD and they played fine. I'll keep them there just in case.

TheKrell said:
Good grief! Was there any characteristic in common to the ones that didn't transfer?

There was no rhyme or reason in why some played and others didn't. I had 3 different episodes of the same show and moved all 3 to the hopper. Two of them played fine and one didn't. If you search the forums for "error code:04", you'll find that it's a common issue. I just wish I had known before I moved those shows over.

There was no rhyme or reason in why some played and others didn't. I had 3 different episodes of the same show and moved all 3 to the hopper. Two of them played fine and one didn't. If you search the forums for "error code:04", you'll find that it's a common issue. I just wish I had known before I moved those shows over.

Well, that raises another question. These shows you transfered, were they from channels you subscribe to or, like in my case, recordings of movies from a channel you no longer subscribe to?
Thats what a couple of members have said they had problems with; shows from channels they no longer get.
Jack

We had a 722 and a 722K that I off loaded the programs to two EDH's. When the Hoppers arrived I transferred both of these EHD's to one Hopper. We have had no problems watching. Even decided to move some of the programs back to the EHD and can still watch them.

reilly9999 said:
Well, that raises another question. These shows you transfered, were they from channels you subscribe to or, like in my case, recordings of movies from a channel you no longer subscribe to?
Thats what a couple of members have said they had problems with; shows from channels they no longer get.
Jack

I subscribe to all of the channels. Most of them (but not all) were network shows (The Mentalist, Person of Interest). And again, I had 3 episodes of the same show from A&E. Two of them played and the other did not.

Now that I think of it. I had one show that I started and watched maybe a minute or so before I was interrupted by someone at the door. I stopped the playback and was going to finish the next day. But I got that #@€% error code 04 message. I have no idea how it seemed to work the first time but was corrupt the second time. I've tried resetting the receiver and nothing changes the error code once it happens.

Just did a search on "error code 04" in the Hopper section. I read the trials and tribulations of AnonDishUser trying to recover some lost recordings because he transfered them to the
Hopper from a EHD; nuff said, will watch all shows on EHD from EHD until Dish solves the problem.
Jack

Well not so fast. I've just discovered another bug. I just tried to watch a show from my EHD for the first time and it wouldn't play either. Now it's giving me an error code 00. This may be a problem that's unique only to my hopper. I sent a message to a DIRT member to see if anyone else has reported this. I may just unplug my EHD for a while until this all gets resolved.

Edit: So I unplugged and unhooked the EHD from the hopper completely. Waited a while and plugged everything back in and that show plays fine now directly from the EHD. It must have needed a reset for some reason. But I'm still getting the error code 04 on the other shows that were moved to the hopper.

Last edited:
I find that when you first play from the EHD directly after it has been idle for awhile it will first error out. Wait a few seconds and then try again and it will be fine. I think (and someone on another thread said the same thing) that the EHD goes to "sleep" and the Hopper is too fast before it "wakes up".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)