UPS left my 622 on my doorstep

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Just a word of warning. Mine was left on my doorstep in plain view to the street. Luckily I live in a very good area. Otherwise and even still it could have been BYE BYE 622! Thought they were supposed to get a signiture....

Really not a problem since the UPS driver will only leave the package if he or she believes it will be safe.

Even if someone does steal it, its covered under insurance.

Heres a true story for ya. About 2 years ago I sent this Indian customer a Model 508 receiver. I get the email with the delivery notification, and like 15 minutes later this guy calls saying that he also got the delivery notification but he can't find the package.

He calls my offices and makes a stink over it saying if he doesn't get a replacement he is disputing the credit card charges. In addition, he made a stink with UPS and made them come out twice to look for the package which the driver says he indeed did deliver.

So anyways, they let me file an insurance claim and I got the check for the stolen unit.

So anyways, I had another issue with a stolen package a few weeks later and I escallated the issue and asked to have a supervisor calls me.

The person who calls me was the investigator from UPS who handeled the first stolen receiver. We get talking and while im on the phone, I punch up the origional receiver I sent this guy along with the replacement unit. Sure enough both units got activated on this same guys account!!!!!

The investigator was royally pist off at this point because again this customer put him through hell when he claimed the package was stolen off of his front porch.

The last I heard about this case the customer called me up all frantic asking for a bill of sale and offered to pay me on the replacement unit so he could some how show the police he actually paid for both units. I just laughed at him and told him to deal with it after what he put me through when he claimed the unit was stolen off his porch :D

My guess is the UPS driver dropkicked it to the door step, most i've dealt with are always in a hurry and rough with packages... good luck I hope it doesn't die within the first few hours!

Luckily my wife said the female UPS driver nicely set it on porch. My wife say her and was coming to sign and the doorbell never rang. As long as I was insured I am good I guess.

They always set it on the floor in front of the door here, but this aint no "good all white republican neighborhood" so i can't vouch for security :p

OTOH I've never lost a package :)

abricko said:
My guess is the UPS driver dropkicked it to the door step, most i've dealt with are always in a hurry and rough with packages... good luck I hope it doesn't die within the first few hours!
Ah, another helpful 1:46 AM post.
:rolleyes:

iceshark said:
Just a word of warning. Mine was left on my doorstep in plain view to the street. Luckily I live in a very good area. Otherwise and even still it could have been BYE BYE 622! Thought they were supposed to get a signiture....

I was amazed by that also. And yet anything Apple sends me (even if it's a $10 cable) require an adult signature.

Claude Greiner said:
Really not a problem since the UPS driver will only leave the package if he or she believes it will be safe.
Their belief and my belief are very different them. UPS always leaves packages at the step of my basement walkout right at the street, instead of going up my driveway around the house and putting them at my front door.

You can call UPS and request that they not leave packages on your doorstep and always make sure someone is home. But more times then not, all you'll get is one delivery attempt then you will have to drive to the distribution center and pick it up yourself.

Honestly, UPS more times then not will not leave things in neighborhoods that have had reports of package theft. They do keep records. When I was in college, they never left stuff on my step and I always had to go drive to pick them up. I asked why they can't leave it and they said due to the reports they have had from the neighborhood I lived in of things being stolen, their drivers were not allowed to leave packages outside.

I never drop kick anything. UPS drivers have policies for when they have to get signatures. Some packages are coded in the label so we can't leave without. Others are labeled saying release no matter what. E* does not send anything signature required. You can get your address encoded in the UPS system as "signature required". But the customers I have usually regret it later.:confused:

I always love recieving my RG6 from P10, with the box all mucked up. Its supposed to unwind when you pull it, but it can't do that if the spool is broken from UPS guys playing dodgeball with it. I now buy most of my cable at dow. Its never touched by UPS, so most of the time the reels work flawlessly.

My Fed Ex driver will drop the package on my back patio. My UPS driver just drops it off at the front door. I live on a cul-de-sac in a nice neighborhood...but it's not gated...so anyone can drive in.

fenwah said:
My Fed Ex driver will drop the package on my back patio. My UPS driver just drops it off at the front door. I live on a cul-de-sac in a nice neighborhood...but it's not gated...so anyone can drive in.
i live in a trailer park and never had any issues with ups or my neighbors

gated community wtf?
build a fence around your abode then youll be safer in your gated community:)

stone phillips420 said:
i live in a trailer park and never had any issues with ups or my neighbors
Not trying to start anything...just curious.

How do you live in a trailer and need 8 Dish receivers and 12 DirectTV receivers?

StevenD said:
Not trying to start anything...just curious.

How do you live in a trailer and need 8 Dish receivers and 12 DirectTV receivers?
i dont i just found it funny someone says they live in a nice community but there is no gate.
my house is roughly 2500 sq feet, i also have no gated community and i have never had any problems with neighbors or carriers except dhl
:)

i also wasnt trying to stir the pot in my earlier post just found it hillarious that people think if there community was gated there would be no crime and everyone would be friends

Last edited:
My 622 was delivered on the Saturday before installation. I asked and the UPS guy said that a signature was not required. I don't know if that is typical for all Dish UPS deliveries, but if you go 10 miles to the east of us a package left on a doorstep has a good chance of disappearing.

Also, I had talked to Dish Tech Support the day before and was told that the installer would bring the unit. Just shows you that Dish emps don't talk to each other too often!

UPS and FedEx both leave everything on my front porch. I live out in the country and never lock the doors of my car at night, and frequently leave the house unlocked. No crime out here.

Heck, if UPS and FedEx would try my front door on most days they could put the boxes in my house.

My 622 was left hidden in the bushes near my front door. I had always thought that it was up to whoever was shipping the package, if they wanted a signature at an extra charge or did not want one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)