Upset with DirecTV offer to new subscribers, where is the loyalty to existing customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shramj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I have had DirecTV for 6-7 years now. I have the HR20 DVR and I have been wanting to upgrade to the new HD DVR but everytime I call and ask for the upgrade, they want to charge me $100 bucks for it. I understand that the HR20 is still a supported system but I have been a customer for over 6 years. Check out the new offer to new subscribers, http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/index.jsp. You get $5 off your bill, free HD, free NFL Sunday ticket, free HD DVR (I'm sure it's the new HD DVR as well), $16 off your bill during the 2nd year, and 3 months of HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime. I got something from them last week that I get a free gift for being a loyal customer, they were going to upgrade my package from Choice to ChoiceExtra for 3 months. Man, that is one heck of a freebie isn't it. I'm just upset that they call that customer loyalty. I should just cancel and sign up next month as a new subscriber. I am sorry to vent but I don't call that customer loyalty. By the way, these forums rock!

Call them and see what they offer you... Tell them your thinking about switching to DISH.

I think they will probably take care of you. :)

Thanks Scott, I will give them a call and see what happens. Just makes me upset on how good the offer is to new people when people that have been loyal and have autopay setup for 6+ years get a free 3 month upgrade to ChoiceExtra.

Hey, it's a valid point. I get that I am not a new customer and that I should not expect to be able to take advantage of new customer promotions they are using to lure new subscribers into their base, but like you say, that is one heck of a promotion! Free NFL Ticket is big time bucks. And they are offering to all new subscribers at all programming tiers but the very cheapest one. So I called, expressed my frustration over this, had to get past first line customer service who offering me 5 bucks a month off my bill for 5 months, and wound up with customer retention department, and they did indeed take care of me. I didn't get it for free, but pretty darn close. Just be polite, calmly and rationally explain your concerns, and of course if helps if you have paid your bill on time every month and have a higher tier of programming. Good luck!

I called the main DirecTV number, when I got the voice prompt asking for the reason for my call, I said "Cancel Service" and it transferred me to a rep in the retention department I believe. I told them I was disappointed with the offer they where giving new customers and that they offered me a 3month upgrade from Choice to ChoiceXtra for being a loyal customer. She told me that the new subscribers are getting NFL Sunday Ticket for free this year but they have to commit to buy it next year. She also asked me if I was offered any deals when I purchased DirecTV. I told her yes and I believe I got HBO for free for a few months and got a $5 credit but I told her it was nothing like they were offering their new subscribers now. I was nice about it but told her I was upset that I have called twice this year about getting upgraded to the new HR24 receiver but was told I would have to pay $100 for it. The rep listened to me and looked at my account and this is what I ended up getting...

1. NFL Sunday Ticket for this year for 50% off ($159.98), no commitment to buy it next year
2. I Got the $10.00 HiDef service waived off my account
3. They are upgrading my HR21 to the new HD DVR, she didn't know the model but I believe it will be the HR24
4. Upgraded me from Choice to Choice Ultimate for free for 1 year
5. 2 months free of Premium channels for 2 months (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc)
6. I had to redo my 2 year contract because I got a new DVR

She also did say that if I didn't have excellent payment history with them, I wouldn't have been offered this type of deal. I know money is tight these days but I suggest everyone setup auto-pay so you never have to worry about missing a payment and when you do go to call DirecTV in the future, you can explain to them your excellent payment history. I am not saying I got the best deal or not but I am happy with what I got.

Not a bad deal, but don't assume you are getting an HR24.

New customers get NFLST for free, I got a single PPV coupon ($4.99) after 3+ years with them (at $170 per month = $6120). I'd rather have a $5 discount as I have NEVER ordered a PPV; but it does appear that current customers get shafted.

but it does appear that current customers get shafted.

I would beg to differ based on this post. Looks like numerous current customers are getting discounts. I got it free plus a $210 credit this year, still under contract for 6 months.....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/262328-attention-current-nfl-st-subs-discounts.html

Keep in mind not everyone will get discounts. Its based on your account history; payments history, credits and promos obtained in the past, etc.

I can see it both ways.

On DirecTV, they want more subs, and they will get them. Its a business.

I understand with long time subs, Ive been with them now for my 5th yr on ST. And I understand being upset. In a way they should be able to give discounts to loyal customers, with good payment history, top tier packages, etc...

On another hand, it would be tough for them to keep track of over millions of customers deserving.

This is the 2nd yr in a row getting ST for a huge discount. 120.00 off the 334.95 renewal price I had, plus ToGo free. Also got 2 HD DVRs as an anniversary gift free.

Best thing I can say is be nice, I have always gotten extras from them. Ive upped my Package, got discounts for it, Have HD, DVR, Ultimate Pack, Starz, Sports pack, NFLST, PPlan, etc..... I pay around 180 for that right now.

Might seem like a lot, but that includes my Sunday Ticket and 3 extra receiver fees.

Are they sending a tech with the new DVR or shipping it? Shipping it they have no way to secure a specific model, could be an HR20 refurb, or a shinny new HR24. An install at least you can refuse to accept a model and ask them to reschedule or come back with a new HR24.

Personally I ask to buy them myself online, where I know I will get an HR24, and ask them to reimburse me with a programming / account credit. I have done this twice over the past 2-3 years, and both times they worked with me by explaining I wanted a very specific receiver and they agreed they had no way to secure what one would be shipped.

May be work a call back, or a call back if you receive one that you do not like - BEFORE YOU ACTIVATE IT!

New customers get NFLST for free, I got a single PPV coupon ($4.99) after 3+ years with them (at $170 per month = $6120). I'd rather have a $5 discount as I have NEVER ordered a PPV; but it does appear that current customers get shafted.

I've gotten a 'Movie Money' coupon every single month since I signed up. And I use them too, so it's not like they keep sending them because they know they won't get used..

I told the girl I had an HR20-700 & a HR20-100 so I am assuming they are shipping me something newer then that. If I get an HR20 or HR21, I will call them back when I receive it and ask them what's the deal with sending me the same HD Receiver. I will post back once I get it. They aren't sending a tech, just shipping the receiver to me.

I have been with DirecTV for over 7 years and am very happy with them. A month or so ago they sent me an email asking me to take a customer satisfaction survey, which I was glad to do. After completing the survey it took me to a page on their website thanking me for doing it, and on that page was the new customer ad. I looked that over and thought dang now may be a good time for me to upgrade to DVR service. So I shot them an email, of course they replied with sorry can't give this to existing customers but we appreciate your loyalty. I asked for the free DVR upgrade and HD free. I find it absolutely unreasonable that existing customers are required to pay $10 for this when new customers get it free! After a couple of conversations with them, they have reviewed my account and see that I qualify for the DVR upgrade with whole home service and 2 HD recievers to work with whole home, and 1 standard reciever at no cost. I only have to pay $49 for the whole home installation. They will waive the HD fee for two years if I enroll in autopay. I won't accept this until the HD access fee is waived permanently. I have not spoken to customer retention, and do not plan to. I am considering swithching providers, just because of the HD fee. Call me stubborn, but its the principle to me, fair is fair. The Sunday Ticket and movie channels offers, and bill reduction is promotional offers and I don't expect those, even though they are high value items. The HD access for free is not promotional to me as it permanent for new customers and should be for existing as well. Just my opinion.

I have been with DirecTV for over 7 years and am very happy with them. A month or so ago they sent me an email asking me to take a customer satisfaction survey, which I was glad to do. After completing the survey it took me to a page on their website thanking me for doing it, and on that page was the new customer ad. I looked that over and thought dang now may be a good time for me to upgrade to DVR service. So I shot them an email, of course they replied with sorry can't give this to existing customers but we appreciate your loyalty. I asked for the free DVR upgrade and HD free. I find it absolutely unreasonable that existing customers are required to pay $10 for this when new customers get it free! After a couple of conversations with them, they have reviewed my account and see that I qualify for the DVR upgrade with whole home service and 2 HD recievers to work with whole home, and 1 standard reciever at no cost. I only have to pay $49 for the whole home installation. They will waive the HD fee for two years if I enroll in autopay. I won't accept this until the HD access fee is waived permanently. I have not spoken to customer retention, and do not plan to. I am considering swithching providers, just because of the HD fee. Call me stubborn, but its the principle to me, fair is fair. The Sunday Ticket and movie channels offers, and bill reduction is promotional offers and I don't expect those, even though they are high value items. The HD access for free is not promotional to me as it permanent for new customers and should be for existing as well. Just my opinion.

if you do switch due to the hd fee
be prepared for the reciever fee dish charges
it will make that $10 seem like pocket change

I can understand your feelings. But it isn't anything new that new/returning customers get better deals in general than existing customers. But there are a number of stories where existing customers are getting good deals too if they ask. Frankly, D* is making you a pretty good offer of all that hardware, installed for $49 total. As to the HD fee, well since the equipment would get you a 2 year contract, they are offering you HD Free for the 2 years of the contract. At that time you could either cancel, try to keep the HD free or whatever floats your boat. You'd have saved yourself $240 over the 2 years in the process.

All in all, not a bad deal imo.

if you do switch due to the hd fee
be prepared for the reciever fee dish charges
it will make that $10 seem like pocket change

LOL! Not with 1 HDDVR, 2 HD receivers and 1 SD receiver he won't! $1/month per receiver more for the 3 receivers than what D* charges.

LOL! Not with 1 HDDVR, 2 HD receivers and 1 SD receiver he won't! $1/month per receiver more for the 3 receivers than what D* charges.

aaahhh but in order to view the recordings in other rooms you need 4 dvrs with dish

aaahhh but in order to view the recordings in other rooms you need 4 dvrs with dish

But, but... :) That wasn't a part of the comment you made!

Depends on whether you insist on watching them on TV..., well even that's not true. I could and did, watch using a computer and TV/Monitor setup and using Dish Online, and also with my iPad.

But, yeah in reality that is true. But the solution to that with E* is get (3) 211 HD receivers, pay the one-time, per account $40, and add an EHD to each one and you have an instant HDDVR!!

lol, yeah, there is always a way
and honestly i had no issues with dish when i had them
the 622 was a great reciever, and the customer service was excellent

i just wanted locals.
and some channels dish dropped when i had them

As you know, I've had both services too and just recently (2 days ago) switched back to D*, primarily for the NFL ST. I have no big issues with either service because they both have given me what I wanted at the time I wanted it. When I left D* last time, it was because of the HR21 being so slow it was either throw the remote through the window, or cancel the service! :)

You'll like this... When I called E* to cancel, they were very nice and professional about it. They made the comment that after the 1st year was up, I'd be paying the higher D* sub rates. So after I got off the phone, I figured it up....

D* = Premier + MRV + DVR + (1) lease fee = $131/month
E* = America's Everything + Multi-Sports + DVR + Lease ($10 in this case) = $128/month

A whopping $3/month!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts