UPSET WITH DISH AND MY HOPPER UPGRADE $$$

If you have the chat go to your AG and file a complaint, they will try to fix it for you, and if not, its $60 or so to file a suit in Small Claims Court, in most states you can ask for more than they owe you, up to the limit which can be $2,000-5,000, and in most states you and dish can't bring a lawyer, and if you have the chat where they said it was free and then charged you, you have proof, you will win, and dish will have to pay you and the court costs. Don't let any company take advantage of you, we have small claims court exactly for this kind of reason, an affordable way for consumers to hold companies accountable.

I do get what you are saying and its not right that they are quoting people different prices than they will actually be charged but I'm not going to fight a $200 charge. I think it is a fair price and I would be totally happy with my upgrade if PTAT would start working correctly for me. However, Dish really needs to be aware that this is happening and they need to stop it.

I do get what you are saying and its not right that they are quoting people different prices than they will actually be charged but I'm not going to fight a $200 charge. I think it is a fair price and I would be totally happy with my upgrade if PTAT would start working correctly for me. However, Dish really needs to be aware that this is happening and they need to stop it.
Well they won't stop until they are made to pay up. Depending on your state you can seek more than they owe, I believe in my state you can seek 10x, so $2,000. At the very least file a complaint with the AG, that is free. And if you are fine just giving someone $200 I know a lot of people that would love doing business with you. ;-)

I think there's being lied to, and there's making mistakes. The difference is owning it as scherrman attested to. We tend to go from A to Z sometimes without thinking it through. I'm no fan of corporate indifference but many times the person on the other end of the phone is simply doing the best job he or she can....stuff happens, we have reasonability too for looking before we leap....famous last words.

Last edited:
I upgraded to the Hopper and one joey on Monday. Dish told me there would be no charge for installation or the equipment. I was very surprised and asked her to repeat it. Told me I was a loyal customer (13 Years) and paid my bill on-time. Today I noticed a charge on my bill for both the hardware and installation.

I chatted with a rep this morning and his supervisor and was told that all dish customers have to pay $100 for the Hopper.

I feel like I was lied to in the beginning.

So what is my best recourse to have these charges removed?

Please PM me with your account or phone number so I can review to upgrade. Thank you!

Winning in Small Claims is a LOT easier than collecting.
yeah against an individual, that's why you don't sue someone you know can't pay. Dish is not in that category, they are big corporation and can pay.

Also the op should file a compliant with their AG as well if they can't get dish to own up to their mistake. However, unless he recorded the call, it will be hard to win in court in a he said she said situation, probably wont be worth it. Of course if dish does not show up he wins by default.

It can get very confusing trying to remember all of the rules Dish has. Just the other day I quoted a customer a free DishMover but when I looked up his account I found out he only qualified for a $100 DishMover. I had to call him up and appologize and then tell him he would have to pay $100.

The right thing to do would have been not to say anything. You already told customer free for the mover. Letting him have what was quoted(free) would make you a little more careful for the next time.

and usually you will get them to cave before you even get to filing a case, getting the AG involved usually solves the issue if you are in the right. I will give you two examples from last year for me.
1. Sprint removed the primer program last April 2011, i was unhappy about this because it was the only reason I stayed with sprint and signed a new contract in June 2010 because of the yearly upgrades. I felt this was a change in the contract and that I should be let out, they said no, it was just a perk. They were right, but I found out they were raising their fees which created a loop hole to get out, so I exercised it and notified them within 30 days of them raising the fees for adverse material affects of the contract. They again tried to say no but I filed complaints with the FTC and BBB. This caused them to cave and let me out of the contract with no ETF, but the rep screwed up and I was still charged an ETF. I complained again and was having a hard time resolving it, even calling and emailing the cooperate office. Tired to reopen the case with the BBB but never got a response back so I filed a compliant with my AG. Within a couple of days they resolved it and wiped the ETF and my last bill. And it really sounds like a lot of time but it is not, about 10min for each form.

2. Best Buy sold us a replacement plan for my little brothers Xbox 360. Now, this was the old Xbox that had the Red Ring of death issues so Microsoft was already extend the warranty on all systems to 3 years, we know this and only got the plan because BB said you will just get a replacement instead, no need to wait. Well, a year and a half later we had the issue and took it in, but instead of replacing it they wanted to send it out for repair, to Microsoft i might add, and it would be 3 weeks. We said no, we paid for a replacement plan, so replace it. They kept giving thier corporate run around saying they changed it and they now send them out, blah, blah, blah. I asked then why did we pay you extra if you are just sending it to Microsoft, a service they provide for free and the same speed as BB, and they had no answer. I further asked why would we by an extended warranty when it is already 3 years? They still had no answer. They offered to refund the price of the plan it at a prorated rate, which came out to $2, we said no. I found the emails of the board and sent them what happened, and that I would be filing a compliant with our AG for their bait and switch of selling a replacement plan and not doing what they said they would, the next day I got an email from the Regional director, they gave a full refund for the xbox and replacement plan, store credit of course. The old ones were more expensive so my little brother was able to buy an xbox slim, hard drive and a game with the money we got back. Again, maybe an hour or two out of my life, not a lot of time, most of it at the store arguing with the employees.

I just don't like people letting companies getting away with lying to people, and dish seems to do this more than most. You always see threads pop up here of people getting charged for boxes they sent back because dish claims they don't get them. Its such a big problem in fact that the 3 times I have sent a box back the Ups manager comes running from the back to make sure I get a receipt and to keep it because dish will try to say they did not get it and charge me. And if you just let it slide they will keep trying to pull this bs.

I don't think it's a matter of ability to pay as much as willingness to pay. If they don't pay, it's incumbent upon you to enforce collection. Good luck with that.

I don't think it's a matter of ability to pay as much as willingness to pay. If they don't pay, it's incumbent upon you to enforce collection. Good luck with that.
a big company will for the most part pay, they don't want the headache. Just look at the guy who sued AT&T for false advertising because of putting a cap on unlimited plans, that was smalls claims and he got over $800 plus court costs, they paid. Or you can see where they don't pay, like Bank of America (or it might have been wells fargo), the guy just foreclosed on their local branch, lol. They paid up and then some after that.

The ATT story got media attention. That's why they paid...

Sent from my phone...
Lol, I can't believe people are so jaded about the court system. I interned at the RI superior court for a summer while in college, and our family is friends with several judges so I guess I am not as skeptical. If you want another example that only got attention after the fact, a guy sued Best Buy in small claims on 3 different items of them breaking California law in regards to getting permission before preforming any type of work on a computer or other appliance, that will require extra payment. Best buy eventually comped the repair, but he still sued them in small claims court because of the initial run around and because they broke the law. Did not get media attention, they paid him over $3000 that he was awarded. It got media attention after because they sent him a letter with the check banning him from ever shopping at BB again, lol.

If the customer has a copy of the chat stating free upgrade, then the Dish should just refund the money. The one poster is a 13 year customer, and was told because of his loyalty and being a great customer that the upgrade is free. That sounds very believable. Why would a customer have to question this when the company is telling him it is going to be free? I guess he should have said, "ugghh, could you hold on a minute while I check with Sat Guys?"
For some of the posters stating that the customer should have come here first to get the info is just insane. I swear, some of the people on this board could have Charlie Ergen beat them over the head with a bat, steal their wallet, and yet still find a way to defend their almighty and beloved Dish Network.

I don't know of any existing customer getting a free upgrade to Hopper.

I was also told mine would be free as a special promo (customer for maybe 8.5 yrs), I still have the chat I think on my work laptop. However I looked and I think I still got charged $100. Not the end of the world, but felt lied to as well.

-Mike

xxxxx (ID: xxxx): Thank you.
xxxxx (ID: xxxx): We do have a wonderful promotion available for you, where you can
upgrade the receiver for no cost as you have been one of our most valued customers.
xxxxx (ID: xxxx): All it requires is just a 24 months commitment with a credit or a debit
card qualification.
xxxxx (ID: xxxx): The card will not be charged any amount, there will just be a $1 hold on
the card that will be released with in 72 business hours.

Last edited:
I was also told mine would be free as a special promo (customer for maybe 8.5 yrs), I still have the chat I think on my work laptop. However I looked and I think I still got charged $100. Not the end of the world, but felt lied to as well.

-Mike

xxxxx (ID: xxxx): We do have a wonderful promotion available for you, where you can
upgrade the receiver for no cost as you have been one of our most valued customers.
xxxxx (ID: xxxx): All it requires is just a 24 months commitment with a credit or a debit
card qualification.
xxxxx (ID: xxxx): The card will not be charged any amount, there will just be a $1 hold on
I would at least forward a copy to a DIRT member so that they can either re-train or fire some of these clowns.

stardust3 said:
The right thing to do would have been not to say anything. You already told customer free for the mover. Letting him have what was quoted(free) would make you a little more careful for the next time.

Doesn't always work that way. I called him and told him that I misquoted him because he did not qualify. If he would not have been willing to pay then I would have had to decline doing the mover for him and suggest calling Dish. It may not sound fair but I am not going to do work for free.

Now if we already did the work and we told him it would be free I would probably have to eat that cost. Since we had not done the job yet I was able to explain to the customer my mistake and gave him options. I am not required to do dish movers for anyone but we do it as a service. We will not provide this service unless we are able to make some money though.

I know most of you here think that is unfair but that's how it is running a business. We have to make certain choices and try to make the customer understand.

-Mike

card qualification.
You don't feel lied to, you were lied too. Just file a complaint with your state AG, its free, if dish does not refund you, or do a charge back with the credit card as you have proof they said you would not be charged. That is basically fraud. Filing a complaint with the AG should make them refund you if they don't themselves.

Doesn't always work that way. I called him and told him that I misquoted him because he did not qualify. If he would not have been willing to pay then I would have had to decline doing the mover for him and suggest calling Dish. It may not sound fair but I am not going to do work for free.

Now if we already did the work and we told him it would be free I would probably have to eat that cost. Since we had not done the job yet I was able to explain to the customer my mistake and gave him options. I am not required to do dish movers for anyone but we do it as a service. We will not provide this service unless we are able to make some money though.

I know most of you here think that is unfair but that's how it is running a business. We have to make certain choices and try to make the customer understand.
I don't think that is unfair, you make a perfect point, you caught it before you did the work and explained it to the customer before you charged him and did the work, that is a simple mistake that you caught. The people here are saying they were told it would be free and later found the charge on their cards after, its completely different. they should get a refund.

And just remember, people posting here are a tiny minority of Dish's customers. How many more are being told it's free then charged $100, $200 or more ?

Sent from my phone...

I have a feeling some of the clueless CSRs are probably referring to no install fee. But since they are clueless and don't understand the entire process, get things screwed up. That said, if a Dish CSR quotes free, installs, and then charges for it, that's wrong and Dish needs to cough it up. I don't think I've ever had a tech show up that didn't go over the costs and agreement with me before starting work. I always quiz them about the costs as well just to be sure. They burned me over a dishmover three years ago. It was supposed to be free, but since the tech didn't have a 1000.4, he put up two 500s and then Dish charged me $100 for the second dish. This is after telling me it was completely free. I got nowhere arguing with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)