Urgent can Satellite R6 cable interfere with internet cable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Some cable co tech said I may have interference because the internet cable is entering along with 6 other satellite cables to my room, I call BS becasue I got reduced Upload speed after a snow fall back in november, and before that the Internet cable and the 6 other satelite cables where eentering my home and my upload speed was fine it was 1MB , and now after the snow fall the upload speed is 500 KB.

can sattelite cable produce interference that may reduce my upload speed on my internet cable?

Thanks

Bull ! cable can have issues if sat is on the same line or local OTA leaking in to the CATV system. An over loaded node could kill your speed along with pirate cable internet users.

Bull ! cable can have issues if sat is on the same line or local OTA leaking in to the CATV system. An over loaded node could kill your speed along with pirate cable internet users
read the post first totally. It says ""the internet cable is entering along with 6 other satellite cables to my room,

ALONG WITH....that means its not running on the same line ;)

You were right to call BS. They were just hoping you were dumb enough to belive it. Let say you were so you took all the time to re-route cables so they are no where near your Cable Co.'s coax, then you call back what will there next excuse be....Do you have a computer in your home?....that's your problem...:D People will say anything.:rolleyes:

Tell them to send a tech out with a spectrum analyzer and show the interference from the sat lines showing up on their cable.

Coax is supposed to be, by design and by federal regulations, a closed system. Think of a radio station thats is running 100 thousand watts and has ethernet connections in the same room with no issues. In most cases of leakage the coax is improperly terminated. The same can occur for satellite intallation and cable television installations. In the case of cable TV providers the FCC is more then willing to issue fines.

Did you turn off your satellite, Disconnect the LNB and receiver, and see the speeds increase in front of the tech? If that were the case, I'd believe him, otherwise I'd call it as I see it, BS. And, if he's got interference in his cable, maybe he should have replaced it, because its leaking interference IN. FWIW - that's one of the reasons to use coax, so they can be run side by side, without interfering with each other. Most every "cable tech" I've run across, know nothing of the technical side.
Another reason may be the routers that are off-line Network Overview /// Internet Traffic Report (click on N America to see the details) Only 62% of the Internet infrastructure is in operation.
I say this because I have also noticed Internet issues since November, and the Score for N.A., at that time, dropped from low-mid 80's with 7 - 10% dropped packets to what it is now, 71 and 23% dropped packets.

Some cable co tech said I may have interference because the internet cable is entering along with 6 other satellite cables to my room, I call BS becasue I got reduced Upload speed after a snow fall back in november, and before that the Internet cable and the 6 other satelite cables where eentering my home and my upload speed was fine it was 1MB , and now after the snow fall the upload speed is 500 KB.

can sattelite cable produce interference that may reduce my upload speed on my internet cable? Thanks

Not a chance! The tech was just throwing out an uninformed guess. I'd see the point if there were AC power lines involved, but not your satellite cables.

RADAR

Depending on the brand of cable modem you should be able to login to it like you can a router. There may be some diagnostic tools in there to assist you with the problem or at least give you information that can be shared with a knowledgeable tech at the main office. Back in the old days of high speed you could do a hard reset of some modems to cheat yourself into a higher tier speed for awhile until it was reprogrammed. Might be worth looking into or maybe not as quite a bit has changed since then.

Ingress can occur on a coax cable if the shielding is broken or the fittings are not properly terminated or tightened, however, it is far more likely to happen in a mixed environment of CATV and OTA, since they both share the same frequency range. Satellite is above most, if not all, CATV frequencies.

I would temporarily create a computer environment in which there is nothing beyond the essentials for a salesperson/technician to identify as the problem and call them again. Do you know anyone else in your immediate area using the service experiencing the same problem? Has there been a reason for more people to start using the provider? Under disadvantages on Cable telephony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia there is an explanation for a problem; particularly when sales creates expansion faster than technicians increase capability.

Anytime you have two conductors or more running parallel for any significant distance, you can have coupling and wierd things can happen, floating grounds, etc. The shield in coax is a conductor.

What kind of cable modem do you have?

A lot you can log into them with 192.168.100.1, and there you can see the upstream, downstream, and perhaps SNR numbers too. If you can see them, post them here

Internet speed degradation will be caused by problems with the cable the internet is using, or its connections, not your sat cables lying beside it. Your cable company just does not want to pull a new cable for you. Next time ask them to at least re-terminate the ends of their cable and I suspect you will see an increase in speed.

You have a demarcation point outside. Bring your modem, wireless router, an extension cord, power plug strip and set it up out there. If there is no difference, I call shenanigans on the cable company.

So its not interference from other cables, sat or not .... Has your download speed changed at all? There are a few speed test websites you can use that will do both upload and download speed. If your download speed is still as fast as it was but your upload is now slower, it can be your PC needing a crud clean out.

Also what is the speed you are supposed to get from your ISP based on the package you are paying for? If you are not getting what you are paying for then you can demand it be fixed but if you are at or above the minimums you pay for, nothing to fix. If you were above minimums and now are at minimums, maybe you just got throttled by the ISP, nothing to do with the snow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)