Urgent: Need Info on SHVIA

gmu77

Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
I am going to breakfast on Friday morning (in nine hours) with Senator Allen (VA), who is on the Senate Commerce Committee. I will also be meeting with Congressman Goode (VA-5) on Saturday afternoon.

Can someone update me on the latest re: SHVIA and related HDTV legislation?

What, specifically, should I ask them to fight for?

This is a chance for our collective voice to be heard, so please let me know.

Thanks.

If you check the website of Senators Ensign (NV) or McCain (AZ) I think you'll find the provisions or their co-sponsored SHVIA extension bill.
It seems to me the most important things to get are guaranteed ability of DBS to carry
a) any HD signal not carried by a local station (and local depending on how much power the station is using)
b) any signal (HD or SD) carried in a market by an MSO. (Therefore in Washington, DC, for example, many DBS customers would be able to get BOTH Washington and Baltimore stations as cable carries them both.)
and
c) a station with a Grade B signal should not be able to prevent a DBS customer from receiving his local station in his local market which he receives with a Grade A signal. (Many people in overlapping markets are prevented from seeing their local station because a neighboring city has a grade B signal (Washington-Baltimore, Detroit-Toledo, Boston-Providence, etc.)
And while you are at it, the loophole which allow some cable companies (Comcast in Philadelphia and Coxin San Diego) to withhold their local sports from DBS, while the Justice Department has mandated that Fox provide its local sports to MSOs is obviously the result of heavy lobbying.
Cox doesn't allow its HD sports signal from San Diego on DBS, yet it shares it with its own O&O cable company in Las Vegas.
Ridiculous.
If a signal is available in a market, everyone should be allowed to carry it.
Good luck with Senator Allen.
I knew his father and George was a good man.

Get right to the point with them that the FCC should finally end the illegal monopolies that are local network affiliates. And that digital and/or HD network feeds should be allowed on satellite and cable so the end consumer can choose what he or she wants and from which provider they want it, thus creating a level playing field and spuring competition across the board. This should be regardless of whether you are 5 miles or 80 miles from there tower or what your signal might be. Plain and simple. I know it is never going to happen, but it is the truth, and they need to hear it again and again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)