US Air Plane Down in the Hudson River

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the NYTimes...

Boats are converging on a USAirways plane that is mostly submerged in the Hudson River off the West 50’s of Manhattan.

According to Channel 4 television news, the plane, USAirways flight 1549, took off from LaGuardia Airport at 3:26 p.m. was bound for Charlotte, N.C. and had 146 passengers and 5 crew members. The plane, according to the news report, may have hit a flock of birds. The pilot tried to return to the airport when the plane fell into the Hudson.

Television reports show several boats around where the plane is in the water.

One witness interviewed by Channel 4 said he saw the plane decending steadily without its landing gear down.

Some passengers were being taken to the Circle Line piers nearby at West 42nd Street.

Scary. As these things always are.

from ny to north carolina
didnt make it past hudson
can you say mechanical problems
no deaths that ive heard of yet
lets hope and pray it stays that way!

Remember when they used to sell flight insurance in the airports? As in, a "very" short term life insurance policy? At times like this, I wonder why they stopped.

Sounds like it came down intact. If so, very good news for the passengers.

Man I was just there on Saturday.

The Pilot of that plane and the crew deserve their own ticker tape parade.

Looks like a Flock of Geese got in the engines.

That's one heck of a pilot, or incredibly lucky. They say he cleared the spires of the GW bridge and laid it down just south of there.

WPIX states that everyone has survived. They are also saying no serious injuries.

I would expect a few shoulder injuries in the near future, as they hoist that pilot up and parade him around.

No one seriously injured, but I'm sure many will develop neck pain + emotional issues due to their upcoming civil suits.....

Amazing how the Ferries came to rescue them.... 5 minutes in that frigid water and they'd be people-sicles (We all saw the end of Titanic).

Glad to hear everyone is OK.... I'm amazed we don't see more bizarre occurrences more often with thousands of flights in the air every day....

I want that pilot to fly the next plane I am on.

A report of a few people that need surgeries to their legs / broken legs. The pilot done an excellent job on a landing like that. He has been a pilot since 1980 with 20,000 hours of flight experience so he definitely knows what he is doing.

ahh a new episode of NATGEO Air Emergency is born. Wonder what they will do with the plane once its recovered? Could it be fixed to fly again? Perhaps for cargo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts