Status
Not open for further replies.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
...from Costco (Vitamix 6200) this weekend for $499. It's a nice machine, although it's not really a blender as much as it is a food pulverizer, smoothie machine, soup makers, etc. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables but, it's a pain to tote around and I wind up tossing-out a lot of product simply because I buy in bulk and my (other than bananas and apples) my wife and daughter are not big fruit/vegetable eaters. I figure this is one way (smoothies and soups) to cut down and some of the waste and get them to eat a little more healthy.

I was impressed with the product but, when I was talking to my mom, I discovered my dad purchased a Montel Williams Healthmaster Elite for $200 and love it. Okay, it's not quite as good as the Vitamix, but it's less than half the price. Offhand, I would opt for the Vitamix...however, for WAF I may just order a Healthmaster Elite because I don't want any flack from the missus.

Does anyone have any experience with either unit? Here are links to the Healthmaster and a similar Vitamix model:

http://www.costco.com/Vitamix-5200-...10701&keyword=vitamix&langId=-1&storeId=10301

http://www.myhealthmaster.com/shop.php

I'm leaning toward the Vitamix, but I have haven't ruled out the Healthmaster simply because it's so much less expensive and my mom loves hers. Does anyone have a Healthmaster Elite? From what I can gather, the Vitamix is the better machine...but the Healthmaster is no slouch and does a credible job as a wet blender (personally, I don't play on grinding grains or using the dry blender features of the Vitamix). The other thing about the Vitamix is that it comes with a 7-year warranty and, since I would be buying it from Costco, their 100% lifetime guarantee ain't too shabby. I'll probably pickup a Vitamix in the next couple days and see how it goes.

I'd buy this one: https://secure.vitamix.com/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard.aspx

I have no problem buying a factory refurbished item if it comes with a decent warranty.

Thanks! I picked up the Vitamix 6300 over at Costco earlier this afternoon while getting a haircut. I didn't mind paying the $499 because it's a great machine and it's back by the Vitamix 7-year warranty and the 100% Costco satisfaction guarantee. This is one machine we play to use for the next 20-years but, should it fail or give us problems in the next 5-years, it's going right back to Costco for a full refund. We probably spend 1/3rd of our disposable income at Costco each year so I won't hesitate to return items that don't live up to our expectations.

IMAG0287.jpg

I picked-up some oranges, blueberries and grapes while at Costco. I already have some apples, pineapple, lime and bananas so I will need to read-up on how to make smoothies later this afternoon. Due to having my knee replaced 12-days ago, I had to toss-out several pounds of spinach, kale and brussel sprouts I bought prior to surgery since they contain a lot of Vitamin K, which counteracts the blood thinner medication I've been on to avoid blood clots. Obviously, I didn't read that chapter until I was in the hospital recovering from surgery. Anyway, I'll have the staples taken out and be off the blood thinner in a couple days so I'll be able to do the green shakes in a couple days.

I'm getting ready to watch the DVD. Any green smoothie or non-green smoothie recipes? Also, I'm really looking forward to make soup with this thing (I love soup and I love beats).

Riff

Are they worth buying?

I suppose so if you're committed to using the machine and leading a more healthy lifestyle. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I also toss out a lot (waste) since I'm the only one who eats them. This way I can stop disposing of unused fruits/veges (can freeze them)or, more importantly, get my wife and daughter to eat more. They'll eat an occasional apple or banana, but they're not big fruit/vege eaters. They eat enough to get by. However, they will gladly drink a smoothie so, hopefully, I can get a few more good things into their bodies. My wife and daughter are very healthy and beautiful, but they both drive me nuts because their diet consists of too many breads and pastas, and sweets. Anyway, my wife is now 45 so she is noticing her body is no longer her friend (e.g, having trouble with allergies and those mid-life feminine issues), which doesn't bode well for 50-year old me wanting to rut, while I still can, over the next few years. The better she feels, the better I will feel. So it's worth it to me. Plus, this machine makes everything from hot soups to ice cream. And I daughter and the missus to eat both. :)

I just made a quick Berry-Banana smoothie (banana, orange, blueberries). It was good, but it could have been better: I didn't put enough ice (recipe called for a frozen banana), the banana was slightly green (you could taste the green banana) and I put in too many blueberries (I'm not a huge blueberry fan). Still, it was good...but I'll do better next time. Tomorrow morning, after two hard-boiled eggs, I'll make a pineapple-banana-orange-lime smoothie, and then do something with the limes later in the afternoon. In addition to the recipes, I'm going to experiment and see what works.

Made a banana, pineapple and grape smoothie for lunch - much better when the banana is day ripe. I managed to freeze the other bananas in halves. I need to find a recipe with limes, oranges and apples since I have quite a few of each. Last night I had orange sherbet, so I may just toss in a line and see how it turns out.

You can non-healthy things with it as well. Since it has no problem getting contents up to 160 degrees, I make ice cream base and hollandaise in it.

Possession of Brussels Sprouts should be a criminal offense.

;)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Okay, after gaining 7-pound in the hospital during my 3-day hospital stay (knee surgery) I have lost the weight (leg swelling and the effects of anesthesia) in addition to having dropped 6-1/2 pounds pre-surgery weight. Because of my morning schedule I had had a protein shake and coffee this morning. After lunch I made tomato soup w/cheddar and onions using vine ripened tomatoes. I'm not a big tomato soup fan, but it wasn't bad. Looking back, I added too much onion and a little too much tomato paste. Live and learn. Right now I'm sipping on a Raspberry-Pineapple-Lime smoothie. It's good, but I prefer the taste of blueberry, banana and orange instead of Raspberry...but still good.

I just wanted to say that I'm still using my Vitamix machine every day and love it. Although I haven't been making many smooties lately (chillled-icey drinks aren't high on my priorty list in the winter), I am using it almost daily to make protein shakes and hot soup 2 or 3 times per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts