US Channel lineup outside of US

lmasterz

Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
ny
Hello everyone. I'm new to dish programming, but I always had interest sometime with the technical stuff and how things work, but never really got deep into it, maybe now it's the time.

I have recently moved to the Middle East for a job for a few years, and since there are some good channel lineups, nothing beats the US channel lineup, (especially if you've lived there) whether it's local TBS, FOX etc or HBO, Showtime etc.

So, is there any way I'm able to view the US channel lineup from where I am now? Whether it's online where I'd hook up m computer to my TV (easiest way I assume), or using my current FTA receiver, or does DirectTV or DishNetwork offer a service where I'm able to view the channels (given that I am a customer with them) online?

sling box is your best bet..get a slingbox..connect it to a buddy's Dish or Directv receiver in the states and enjoy

You will need your own receiver as your buddy won't appreciate you changing the channel he is watching or over riding his timers. With the difference in times you will need to record most prime time. I would try USTVNOW before installling a Sling Adapter or Slingbox at a buddy's stateside.

If you decide to go with the Sling option be sure that your buddy has a steady 1 Mbs upload speed at the minimum for SD with no data caps and you have at least the same or greater download speed at your end.

You will need your own receiver as your buddy won't appreciate you changing the channel he is watching or over riding his timers. With the difference in times you will need to record most prime time. I would try USTVNOW before installling a Sling Adapter or Slingbox at a buddy's stateside.

If you decide to go with the Sling option be sure that your buddy has a steady 1 Mbs upload speed at the minimum for SD with no data caps and you have at least the same or greater download speed at your end.
what a bunch of BS..You do not need 1Mbs upload/download speed!!!..Mininum of 384k(SD)..USTV now is run by a bunch of shady characters who want ss# to sign up for service...http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000134

Last edited:
I have 512 upload and it is barely capable for SD.

I would recommend 1MBPS for upload on SD 3 for HD.

Slingbox specs do not deal with the real world.

Always try to exceed specs by 100% for good performance.

I have .75Mb upload speed from my ISP on the WAN and I seldom watch anything that I Sling away from home on anything larger than the screen of my Iphone. I can not imagine how unsatisfactory the picture quality would be If I was using my ROKU to put the Sling's stream on a large screen TV. You need the bandwidth. With low bandwidth you get crummy pictures and rebuffering. To get decent quality pictures at home on my laptop across my LAN I use 3.5 - 4.5 MBs for SD pictures.

juan said:
what a bunch of BS..You do not need 1Mbs upload/download speed!!!..Mininum of 384k(SD)..USTV now is run by a bunch of shady characters who want ss# to sign up for service...http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000134

I'm using the free service on ROKU no. Ss# required just an email address. Maybe they want more info of they take your money.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

There is something on their site about being a citizen. Don't know if it is a requirement. I also use free, so no SS# needed from me. Nice to have on the ROKU. I wonder how long it will last.

come think of it, does anyone here offer such service? that is he'd have a sling box and I would pay him via paypal of some sort weekly or monthly. If anyone does, or knows anyone who does, PM me please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts