US Open- Torey Pines

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
So, did any of you get to watch the ever exciting US Open over the weekend?

Whether you like golf or not, as a sports fan, you have to appreciate the competitiveness, drama, emotion and great shots made by all, especially from Tiger on both Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend's coverage was truly captivating TV. Tiger shooting a 30 on the back 9 on Friday! The chip shot that went right in the hole for birdie on the 17th on Saturday! The two eagle putts totaling 100 feet! The first tournament back from knee surgery and not playing in nearly two months and to be able to play so competitively... My God! Then grimacing after tee shots, having to use his club as a cane to limp up the fairway! Again, you can't make this stuff up!

Then on Sunday, Tiger sank a nerve racking 12 foot putt for birdie to clinch an 18 hole playoff with extreme underdog Rocco Mediate (45 yrs old)! I can't wait for today's conclusion, but I must say, this weekends US Open has been one of the most memorable in recent memory.

Last edited:
Yes I watched and one more reference of Tiger's pain and struggle being the equivalent of Willis Reed's return to the basketball game and I will puke. For god's sake he doesnt even carry his clubs, silence and no moving at every shot, fresh towels and water at every tee. Give me a freakin break. :rolleyes:

on a more positive note... wow!! it was great. tiger is the best , what a flair for the dramtic. with that in mind, im pulling for the old man. i love tiger but he will win manny more. this is most likely the last chance for rocco. i will be working from home today!!

on a more positive note... wow!! it was great. tiger is the best , what a flair for the dramtic. with that in mind, im pulling for the old man. i love tiger but he will win manny more. this is most likely the last chance for rocco. i will be working from home today!!

Yeah, either I will have to find a way to sneak out of work early today, or I will just have to watch on tape delay. I set the DVR just in case.

For those interested in today's 18-hole playoff, here's today's TV coverage schedule....

SCHEDULE
ESPN at 9 a.m. PDT (12 a.m. EST)
NBC at 11 a.m. PDT (2 p.m. EST)

Watch Live on USOPEN.com

Last edited:
Yes I watched and one more reference of Tiger's pain and struggle being the equivalent of Willis Reed's return to the basketball game and I will puke. For god's sake he doesnt even carry his clubs, silence and no moving at every shot, fresh towels and water at every tee. Give me a freakin break. :rolleyes:
I agree...people play through injuries in every sport, and this is golf for crying out loud. The play-by-play commentary should focus on the game...and knock off the replays of Tiger's facial gentures each time he winces in pain.

I was pulling for Tiger yesterday, but I am going to be in Rocco's corner today since the 99% of the people will be pulling for Woods.

The bottom line Tiger sells.
If he is involved people watch!
The PGA and the networks are loving it, a bad knee and the replays of the pain!!
How much more drama can they get out of it all (the networks and PGA)!!
I usually pull for Tiger, but this time I will root for Rocco Mediate, this may be his only shot and he will be remembered as the only man to catch Tiger after having the lead going into the last round.

I want to see Rocco win, because he has never won a major before.

I just hope this isn't near the end of Tiger's golf career. It's possible this could be doing irreparable harm to his knee, though I would guess his doctor must not think so.

It's a treat to watch Tiger play. You just never know what he might do.

I'll be watching tonight, as on-line just isn't as good as the TV--for me, 9 holes in HD and the last 9 in SD.

wow!! this was one of the best sporting events i have ever seen. would like to have seen rocco win, but the 91 holes of golf was reviting!!

14th Major! 4 more to tie Jack!

I agree that this U.S. Open was one of the best sporting events I've seen! Yesterday's 18 hole playoff and 90 holes overall still wasn't enough to decide the victor. How fitting! Towards the end, I felt bad for both players, as someone eventually had to win and someone had to lose. Both Rocco and Tiger played their hearts out. What a great dual.....

Hopefully Tiger will rest his knee and be ready for the British Open at Royal Birkdale in five weeks.

I just hope this isn't near the end of Tiger's golf career. It's possible this could be doing irreparable harm to his knee, though I would guess his doctor must not think so.

It's a treat to watch Tiger play. You just never know what he might do.

I'll be watching tonight, as on-line just isn't as good as the TV--for me, 9 holes in HD and the last 9 in SD.

Tiger turned pro when he was 21 years old. This is his 11th year as a professional and he is currently 32 years old. In comparison, Jack Nicklaus' turned pro when he was 21 years old also. His professional career lasted 45 years! But more notably, Jack last won a major at the age of 46 ('86 Masters).

Even though this is Tiger's 3rd knee surgery, I'm sure he has the best doctors in the world treating him and giving him advice. He'll recover and be just fine. Tiger still has a long, successful career ahead of him.

I can't believe that Jack finished second, something like 18 times too.

How very true. Every other sport is littered with conflicts, crime and corruption breeches. Golf is a gentleman's sport. A sport in which respect, honor, class is taught. A sport in which no referee is needed. Instead, the individual player penalizes him/her self. Golf is still pure and is such a breath of fresh air compared to the troubles that other sports/athletes are going through these these days.

I like this particular quote....

"I want Tiger to win," said one of the businessmen who had stood nearby, "but I don't want Rocco to lose."

That's how pure the U.S. Open was. You rooted for the underdog and the big dog. You rooted for the guy wearing red, which just happened to be both Woods and Mediate. You rooted for the prodigy going after his 14th career major (and 12th since 2000), and for a middle-aged Open qualifier this close to his first-ever biggie.

That was exactly how I felt. I was rooting for the game, not the player. To me, that speaks volumes of the sport.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts