USA NBC package watchable in Europe

terrestrial

Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Netherlands, Europe
Hey guys,

I'm from the Netherlands and I've noticed that during the olympics in Athens NBC put up a 5 channel package on Hellas 39.0 East satellite. It's probably a feed so it won't last forever. But I'm very happy that i'm able to watch some prime-time USA programming for a change. :)

Basically Dutch tv sucks and we don't have major packages like DirecTV/dish or voom. We only have canal digital which is absolutely ridiculous, costs are huge and you only get like a few channels which are free on other satellites or show reruns...

Anyway, the usa feed consists of the following channels:

- WNBC4 (new york)
- CNBC
- MSNBC
- Tele Mundo
- Bravo

Anybody know on which satellite this feed is carried to europe. Some say it travels on fiber through the ocean to London and is rebroadcasted to the Hellas satellite.

Strange how a lot of people here want European TV and you want the USA channels : ) I used to watch the NBC Superchannel on Hotbird when I lived in the UK, I guess its a pay channel now, I also used to watch the Late Show every night, but it was one night behind : )

Europe has alot of satellite channels as it has alot of country's. All these country's have their own pay-packages (different languages) some are very bad/small, some are alittle better. But it's not possible to subscribe to a package in a neighbor country. So it really doesn't leave much choice for premium tv. (i'm not even talking about HD coverage.. it doesn't exist)

I think if europeans would be able to get access to a package of USA channels that would be a blast. There would be many people willing to pay alot of money. But i'm just dreaming because this will never become reality with the current laws on copyrighted TV.

Unfortunately NBC superchannel doesn't exist anymore. They merged it into CNBC Europe. The German's have a special NBC computerchannel but it's synchronised in german. (sounds terrible like all german channels)

Here in the netherlands most of us are still on analog cable (about 30 ch.) Most cable company's don't listen to their subscribers. Some of them just started to offer digital tv. Very small packages, no VODM, bad compression, faulty software boxes. It's still in a pre fase and not offered where i live.

So i'm really glad to have my dishes. I often watch feeds and try to get a little USA programming as i grew up watching more english language programming then dutch :)

You likely have to be up in the late late hours of night to catch the NBC Primetime shows. I know that the East Coast is currently GMT -4hrs.

If its one thing that US Americans excel at, its that we know how to keep ourselves amused. We also have the Advantage of a single Language for all 50 states. I'd hate to think of what the US would be like if every other state had its own Language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)