USB adapter unplugged warning

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. I have a HWS with an OTA module, 1 Super Joey, and 1 regular Joey. The other day while watching TV a warning window popped up on the screen saying that a USB adapter had been unplugged. Strange, since I don't have a USB adapter plugged in unless the OTA module is considered one. I hit OK and the warning disappeared and everything seemed normal. A few seconds later, my wife yelled that she lost the TV signal from the Super Joey in the bedroom and it was now showing a checklist for restoring the Super Joey connection. She was reading through the things to check when normal reception returned. We had not done anything yet. Yesterday, the same thing happened again.

Although I wasn't watching or recording an OTA channel at the time, I'm wondering if a complete OTA signal loss might trigger some diagnostic check that reset the Joey connection. I never had this problem until I connected the OTA module two weeks ago. Any ideas?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
The OTA module is, indeed, a USB adapter. Was your wife watching OTA at the time? Have you checked to see if the adapter is firmly seated in the port?

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
The OTA dongle is a USB adapter. You might try to look at the back of your HWS and unplug it and the reseat it. Your HWS will reboot and all should be well....

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
The OTA module is, indeed, a USB adapter. Was your wife watching OTA at the time? Have you checked to see if the adapter is firmly seated in the port?

Wife said she was watching a recording. I checked the connection and it seemed good. The other thing I thought about was perhaps a dropped wifi signal from the router although the wifi receiver is not a plug-in adapter with the HWS.

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
The OTA dongle is a USB adapter. You might try to look at the back of your HWS and unplug it and the reseat it. Your HWS will reboot and all should be well....

I have the dongle plugged in to the front USB port. Thought that I would only need it for a few days until Dish settled it's dispute with the local CBS station, but that has dragged on for more than two weeks now. I'll move it to the back and see if that solves the problem. It may take a while to find out since the problem is intermittent and seems to correct itself within a couple of minutes.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
If the USB adapter is removed, it pops up the notice/warning on the screen that it's going to reboot. Does it ask if it's okay to reboot or does it do it on it's own (after a short delay) ? I thought it forces a reboot no matter what. That would "disconnect" any Joeys.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Don't think the wife will go for that until we get the local back. At that point I'll be removing the the adapter, since we won't need it any more.
Do you never watch or any local sub-channels, Me-TV for example?

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
If the USB adapter is removed, it pops up the notice/warning on the screen that it's going to reboot. Does it ask if it's okay to reboot or does it do it on it's own (after a short delay) ? I thought it forces a reboot no matter what. That would "disconnect" any Joeys.

There is nothing about rebooting in the warning on the hopper nor does the hopper reboot. The warning is just an overlay on the TV screen that vanishes when you click OK and normal viewing resumes. The sound and video is never interrupted. However, the Joey appears to be disconnected for a minute or two before being restored with no intervention of any kind. When the signal is lost on the Joey, the checklist is displayed until the signal is restored.

Partysox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
N central Indiana
You get a notice like that when you plug in a EHD you get one when you unplug a EHD to.Its just making sure you know this that's why you have to press ok.Your OTA module maybe going bad or usb ports are going

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
You get a notice like that when you plug in a EHD you get one when you unplug a EHD to.Its just making sure you know this that's why you have to press ok.Your OTA module maybe going bad or usb ports are going

The EHD is working fine. The OTA module is only two weeks old, so failure, while possible, is unlikely. A flakey usb port is also possible but I don't understand why either of those that would cause a Joey disconnect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts