USB Antenna

The USB works for the purpose out of the box. I did later pay $40 to [strike] make it difficult for me to ever leave Dish [/strike]activate the EHD function. So my fan with pass thru does not load the port enough to interfere with the EHD.

Thank you for your interest. He is home now. Still on feeding tube, but he's gaining weight and has passed the 98 lb weakling point. Trach came out today. Considering posting his tale in the Pub some day, as a warning to others to [strike]not be stupid [/strike] be proactive in caring for themselves.

Navychop,
Thanks for the info and glad to hear your son is improving.
Ghpr13:)

Interesting. I tried my netgear on the front port when the s/w upgrade came out and got an error of not supported. I will try the back port tonight. If it works, where will plug my EHD into (the front port is too obvious)? Unless E* has added USB hub support?

Miner

I just tried my netgear wg111 and still get the not supported error. Perhaps it is market related????

Just to answer the question about USB WIFI adapters and who sells them. Belkin does sell one, many of the computers in the Public School District I work in use them as it has been deemed more cost effective to invest in wireless technology than retrofitting ethernet. They work well in that environment, thats the extent of my knowledge.

I have a wirelss gaming adapter that my son used on his PS2. Tried to use it on the 722. The issue was/is setting up the security key. The on board interface does not have a screen do do that like regular wireless access points and routers, as I recall we set it up through the PS2 interface not on the adapter it self. I may try it again now that I find that there is a wireless tab in the broadband section. who knows.

Ross

Follow up to my post
The gaming adapter I have uses cat5 and it does not work on my 722. I also tried a Belkin usb dongle wireless adapter and received an error message that this equipment is not supported.
There is info on dish networks web site on how to connect to broadband, both cat 5 and using a usb wireless adapter. Unfortunately, and typical of Dish, they don't list recommended adapters.
Since the poster above has had success with the adapter he mentions I would go with that if wireless was important...

Ross

I purchased two Netgear WNDA3100s, and neither of them work with my 722k. They bring up the "USB Device not supported at this time" error message.

Looks like to throw another monkey wrench in the works. There's two versions of the WNDA3100: Answer

AND if you look at the v2 version, on of the support documents says "serial number prefix of "2D4" to be compatible with the Panasonic TVs". Meaning that Netgear is probably shipping these adapters with different firmware revisions. Unless you can somehow get an adapter from a DISH installer, it's a complete crap shoot as to if you will get an adapter that is the right version and firmware. It looks like Netgear doesn't make the firmware revisions available for download, but maybe someone with these adapters can experiment with getting the latest drivers and see if updating the firmware is something that's done on a computer.

Well, I just had an issue with my 622 and they came and installed a 722.. on the 622 I had a gaming adapter connected to the ethernet port and then it made it wireless. Worked great... HOWEVER.. ON the 722, it doesnt work.. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY? the installer told me ANY USB wireless adapter would work but thats not the case since I bought a NETGEAR WG111 and it didnt work...

Does anyone know why the gaming adaptor which worked on the 622 doesnt work on the 722??? and EXACTLY which wireless usb adapter do we get and from where??

I purchased two Netgear WNDA3100s, and neither of them work with my 722k. They bring up the "USB Device not supported at this time" error message.

Same problem here. I'm hoping it's more of a "not yet supported in this area" problem instead of a "not the right version" problem. Sounds like it may be September (or later) before I (we) find out for sure.

Well, I just had an issue with my 622 and they came and installed a 722.. on the 622 I had a gaming adapter connected to the ethernet port and then it made it wireless. Worked great... HOWEVER.. ON the 722, it doesnt work.. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY? the installer told me ANY USB wireless adapter would work but thats not the case since I bought a NETGEAR WG111 and it didnt work...

Does anyone know why the gaming adaptor which worked on the 622 doesnt work on the 722??? and EXACTLY which wireless usb adapter do we get and from where??

You may need to unplug your gaming adapter to get it to release the ip adress you had assigned to the 622. Most gaming adapters only give out one ip address and it may still be tied to the mac address of your 622. Just a suggestion. You could also try plugging a computer into the adapter to see if it will go online. If the computer works through the gaming adapter then you may have a bad 722k.

You may need to unplug your gaming adapter to get it to release the ip adress you had assigned to the 622. Most gaming adapters only give out one ip address and it may still be tied to the mac address of your 622. Just a suggestion. You could also try plugging a computer into the adapter to see if it will go online. If the computer works through the gaming adapter then you may have a bad 722k.

Good idea and there might be a reset button on the adapter too. I think you may have it backwards on the IP. The IP should be assigned by dhcp in your wireless router not by the gaming adapter

No, it isn't.

Read various threads here. The USB port is for EHD use, and can power a fan. That's it. If it worked for your desired use, it would be posted all over here.

CSRs are not the best trained or best informed people you could deal with. You'll find much more reliable information here.

But not both, I put a usb splitter on the usb port with a fan and the ext hard drive quit working until I remove the splitter.

Lots of the USB Wireless network adapters use the same chipset. A common chipset vendor is Realtek and one of their more popular chipsets is RTL8187B.

If someone finds an adapter (or adapters) that works, it would be good to find out which chipset it uses and this would help in identifying which adapters (using the same chipset) are also likely to work.

One question - Does anyone know if Dish has plans to do anything very useful with this connectivity (or the ethernet port) like on-demand programming, etc.?

Last edited:
But not both, I put a usb splitter on the usb port with a fan and the ext hard drive quit working until I remove the splitter.

For me, with my laptop cooler, both work at the same time. The cooler has a passthru on the USB end, and I plug the EHD into that, and they both work. On both my ViP722s. And using a variety of EHDs, including a RAID.

I'd have to assume the setup you tried pulled just a tad too much power for it to work with both.

which software version

We have the usb wireless adapters here in our market. Right now they only work on the 622, 722 and 722k. In the broadband set up menu (menu, 6, 1, 8, 1), you'll see the wireless is grayed out. Once you connect a wireless dongle it becomes active. Right now the only brand they support is netgear (I think). Once you plug it into the rear usb port you will get a pop up "attention 306" on your screen and it walks you through the rest of the set up

Which software version are you using I have a 622 software version 629? I just tried a wnda3100 but it must be a version 1 as there is no version number on it.

I have a USB wireless adapter that works.. I paid $30 off EBAY... Its the only one I could get working.. I tried several different ones ... Netgear WNDA3100 v2 is the one.. has to be the V2 as I got one from STAPLES and it wasnt a V2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)