USB OTA module not detected by hopper

oryan_dunn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Indiana
I've had my USB OTA module for quite a while now, basically since it was first released. I've not had any issues with it. My fiancé complained to me that one of her shows on a digital sub channel didn't record. I looked into it and noticed all my OTA channels were missing. I went to re-add them, but the hopper menu says I need to connect a USB OTA module (which has been connected behind the hopper for quite some time. I've reset the hopper, tried all 3 USB ports.... nothing.

I plugged the module into my PC, it was detected and drivers installed, so I know the module at least powers on via USB. Any ideas?

You've tried pretty much everything... Can you plug something else into the USB ports to make sure they're not dead ? All of them being dead is pretty unlikely though!

Having it detected by your PC is a good sign that the module itself is okay.

Maybe unplug the module, then unplug the Hopper from the wall outlet and wait 30-60 seconds. Plug it back in and let it get up and running -- don't plug in the OTA module yet. When it's up and running, then plug in the module. If you remember, it will detect it and pop-up a window saying so and telling you you have to reboot before it will work.

Pull the plug on your hopper for one minute then plug hopper back in and then try to plug the ota usb dongle back in and see if it recognizes it. IF necessary try to plug the dongle in another usb port ,maybe the front one . It should recognize it on one of the ports. If not then it is the dongle that is bad, or the hopper itself. IF so you will need to call DISH and get an rma for one or the other .

My OTA dongle goes missing randomly. The next day it is usually back again. I suspect it is more the dongle or software in the Hopper than the USB ports as my external Hard drives never randomly go away. I've had the dongle since it was first released and wonder if any changes were made to it since early release models?

I usually check that it is working if I am expecting to record something OTA that day.

All the USB ports are working and providing 5V. My external powered HD works on all ports, and the sling adapter works on all ports. I've tried pulling the power on the receiver, still nothing.

Maybe the Hopper's message is misleading and the OTA module is OK but the antenna signal is missing. Can you plug the antenna cable into your TV's OTA tuner to check it?

Maybe the Hopper's message is misleading and the OTA module is OK but the antenna signal is missing. Can you plug the antenna cable into your TV's OTA tuner to check it?
That's a good theory!

In my experience the ota usb dongle when plugged in ,will trigger a reboot of the receiver to work the new ota stations into the guide. IF you remove the ota dongle ,it will trigger another reboot to take the ota stations out of the guide . So if you aren't seeing any message about the ota dongle, either the hopper is going south or the dongle it is most likely dead . Might need to replace it or replace the hopper itself, since it doesn't recognize the dongle on any of your usb ports.

Thanks for the suggestions. The antenna signal is good, as I do have it split to the TV Tuner and the signal is just fine.

Since I bought the dongle, is it still eligible to be replaced by Dish? Or do I need to buy a new one?

Thanks for the suggestions. The antenna signal is good, as I do have it split to the TV Tuner and the signal is just fine.

Since I bought the dongle, is it still eligible to be replaced by Dish? Or do I need to buy a new one?
Connect the TV OTA coax to the port on your splitter that you are using for the OTA module to make sure your splitter is good. I am pretty sure Dish will replace your OTA module no matter where you purchased it. Let us know what they had to save about exchanging it.

It "worked" when he connected it to his PC though, suggesting the cable may be fine.... Certainly can't hurt to try a different one.

To the OP: If you have a printer, it's likely to have the same cable.

That's a good idea. I'll try a new USB cable and try plugging the antenna cable I know works into it (though I would think the hopper would still show the dongle as attached, even without any signal from the antenna).

I bought it direct from Dish as soon as it was available, through the mydish site.

My OTA dongle stopped working after 11 months.
I bought it from Dish Network in October 2015 but Dish Tech Support doesn't give a hoot.
They claim that they are "OUT OF STOCK" but they probably have no intention to re-supply.
They told me to buy a new one, and they will reimburse me for the cost if that's not the problem.
They refuse to come to my house and check the Hopper.
Pretty LOUSY service for a customer that's been with them for many years.
There will be no recommendations for Dish Network from this guy !!!!
In the meantime I'll hook up directly to the TV antenna jack. (And get more channels than that weak Dongle setup)

My OTA dongle stopped working after 11 months.
I bought it from Dish Network in October 2015 but Dish Tech Support doesn't give a hoot.
They claim that they are "OUT OF STOCK" but they probably have no intention to re-supply.
They told me to buy a new one, and they will reimburse me for the cost if that's not the problem.
They refuse to come to my house and check the Hopper.
Pretty LOUSY service for a customer that's been with them for many years.
There will be no recommendations for Dish Network from this guy !!!!
In the meantime I'll hook up directly to the TV antenna jack. (And get more channels than that weak Dongle setup)

It's not a claim they are out of stock cause the maker shut down or stopped making it. A new one is being worked up but nothing public about it yet. Probably will hear something once they fix the software OTA issues as they are probably testing both together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a bit of a different problem. I found that one OTA channel that always came in pretty strong has disappeared, and rescan won't even detect it. this channel was always there previously and all the other OTA channels are detected and come in just fine. Could this issue be in the dongle?
In my area all the networks transmitters are located in the same place.
I have the HWS.

Check that same station using your TV's OTA tuner. The station may have done something on their end. Not saying that the adapter isn't at fault although I think it would affect all reception, not just individual channels.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I have a bit of a different problem. I found that one OTA channel that always came in pretty strong has disappeared, and rescan won't even detect it. this channel was always there previously and all the other OTA channels are detected and come in just fine. Could this issue be in the dongle?
In my area all the networks transmitters are located in the same place.
I have the HWS.

Could be they are having transmitter problems. Go to their online site sometimes they will put a banner or some other notification of such. Or you can email them and ask.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts