Status
Not open for further replies.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
I inherited this unit for a song, and it appears to work excellent off my old roof antenna. I have one (big) issue... it didn't come with a remote. :eek:

I hook it up, turn it on, and have lots of spiffy previews of stations... I can sit here and watch the 13 little seperate tv screens, all showing lovely digital quality programming. It patiently sits and waits for me to select one, but I HAVE NO REMOTE!! I called up the company (US Digital) and they actually refused to sell me a $10 remote unless I have an account number. Obviously I don't. I checked on ebay, but the receivers themselves are going for over $55, and no one has spare remotes. I checked out every single Universal Remote availble within 30 square miles, and none have codes for this thing. I scoured Google, newsgroups, and some techy chatrooms and came up with nothing, except that people have used learning universal remotes to control USD HDtv boxes. I sat here going nuts using the "search" feature on my newest One-For-All remote, with no luck :no

So now I'm begging somone with this unit (or any USD HDtv unit- the rep wouldn't sell me a remote, but did inform me that all their boxes use the same one) and a 'learning' remote to please give me a code, any code, to even partially enable functionality on any of my Universals. Seriously, this unit is laughing at me, and the wife keeps staring at all the little crystal clear tv's and giving me evil looks for tempting her like this :rolleyes:

Big, huge thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm now seriously considering purchasing the $20 Wal-mart version just to aquire the remote, and shoving the new reciever into a closet. Probably would be the least hassle.

Have you actually tried one of the universal remotes? Some of them, most of them, have a "search for code" feature that you can use if your particular unit does not have a code listed. I have done this before and while it can take a while, it worked.

Also, rather then just look in the code listings, call the 1800 # for the respective remotes (All For One, etc) and see if they can give you a code. Codes are added all the time and while they update their web sites regularly, the CSR might have the latest information or a cross reference. Plus if you have not bought a remote yet, you call different brands 1-800 # and even have them check different models.

Doesn't US Digital have a 30 day trial period. Why don't you sign up with them for $20, buy the remove from them for whatever amount and then cancel within the 30 days. You will get refunded your $20.00 and you will have your remote.

You could also buy the $200 version at Wal-Mart and program a learning remote from the one at Wal-Mart then return the Wal-Mart one. Of course if your batteries ever when out for a long period of time you might loose everything.

I was trying to think of a way where you could buy the $20 HD Receiver, keep the remote and I would buy the receiver from you if you would activated it (I could call and give USD my information) and ship it to me (of course I would pay for shipping). However, then I would be in the same boat as you!!! Needing a remote. And I wonder if HD would work in my area since I know their programing does not. Wonder if it actually maps to a given area????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)