Use deactivated receiver for LNB power?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

The Marquis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
For a single H24 receiver installation, can I use a deactivated H21 to power the LNB or do I need to get the power inserter? If I can use the H21, how do i set it up?

A receiver isn't capable of the voltage (21VDC) or current required to power an SWM LNB.

DIRECTV will likely want their H21 back if you didn't buy it outright from DIRECTV.

For a single H24 receiver installation, can I use a deactivated H21 to power the LNB or do I need to get the power inserter? If I can use the H21, how do i set it up?

You don't need a power inserter for a single H24 installation. One line from the lnb to the H24 is all you need.

A receiver isn't capable of the voltage (21VDC) or current required to power an SWM LNB.

DIRECTV will likely want their H21 back if you didn't buy it outright from DIRECTV.

He didn't say he had a SWM lnb.

I guess I don't have a SWM LNB because the only receiver I had before was the H21 and there is no power inserter.

If you can get to the lnb, remove it from the arm. If the lnb has four outputs, it is a non swm lnb and the receiver will power the lnb. If it has one output, it is a swm lnb and will need a power inserter.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

If you ask if a receiver will work as a power inserter, it is implied that you need one.

It doesn't seem reasonable to assume that if the H21 worked, that the H24 wouldn't work in its place.

self-installing is overrated.

Since the op has already replied that he doesn't have a power inserter, it would seem that your assumption was incorrect.

It is implied by the question.

It was, how so? :rolleyes:

Really? How so? Where was SWM ever mentioned by the OP?

Looked to me like the SWM was not mentioned in the OP's question, however, a Power Inserter was .... that would lead me to think he thinks he has a SWM.
Weather he does or not, that is the OP' s situation to determine, we need a correct answer from him before we can diagnose it any further.

So, all he has to do is install it the typical way, without any of the newer high tech stuff.
Run a line to the recvr and the other end to the LNB and turn it on!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)