Use existing WiFi network to link remote TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bgee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Albany NY
I'm a prospective DirecTV customer. I've got a remote barn that's linked to the house via high speed WiFi bridging. Can I use that existing WiFi to link a TV in the barn to a DirecTV DVR in the house?

Thanks

I'm a prospective DirecTV customer. I've got a remote barn that's linked to the house via high speed WiFi bridging. Can I use that existing WiFi to link a TV in the barn to a DirecTV DVR in the house?

Thanks

Yes you can do it, but it isn't something supported by Directv so you can't get them to install it that way.

How do you have the wifi link from the house to the barn set up? I assume you have a wifi router in your house, and another wifi router in your barn for the other end of the bridge?

If that's how you have it set up, you'd have Directv install your house with one more TV than you need (i.e. some spare TV you don't plan on getting Directv for, or moving the barn TV to the house temporarily) Make sure that extra TV is set up as a WIRED client, not wireless!

Directv's clients have a coax connection only, you can buy something called a "DECA" for a few bucks off eBay (DIRECTV DECA RECIEVER (GREEN LABEL) PWR INCLUDED FREE SHIPPING!! | eBay) that is an ethernet to coax network bridge. You connect the ethernet end of the DECA to the barn wifi router, and the coax end of the DECA to the barn Directv client, and plug in its power supply.

Directv will install your Genie (main DVR) with an internet connection, it can be either wired or wireless, doesn't matter either way it will connect to your house's router. That will allow the communication between the Genie and the barn client to run over your wifi bridge when you move that client (initially installed in your house temporarily) to your barn and connect it as described above.

Yes you can do it, but it isn't something supported by Directv so you can't get them to install it that way.

How do you have the wifi link from the house to the barn set up? I assume you have a wifi router in your house, and another wifi router in your barn for the other end of the bridge?

If that's how you have it set up, you'd have Directv install your house with one more TV than you need (i.e. some spare TV you don't plan on getting Directv for, or moving the barn TV to the house temporarily) Make sure that extra TV is set up as a WIRED client, not wireless!

Directv's clients have a coax connection only, you can buy something called a "DECA" for a few bucks off eBay (DIRECTV DECA RECIEVER (GREEN LABEL) PWR INCLUDED FREE SHIPPING!! | eBay) that is an ethernet to coax network bridge. You connect the ethernet end of the DECA to the barn wifi router, and the coax end of the DECA to the barn Directv client, and plug in its power supply.

Directv will install your Genie (main DVR) with an internet connection, it can be either wired or wireless, doesn't matter either way it will connect to your house's router. That will allow the communication between the Genie and the barn client to run over your wifi bridge when you move that client (initially installed in your house temporarily) to your barn and connect it as described above.
Thanks! Yes, I have WiFi 6 router on each end connected via a pair of 5Ghz 867Mbps TP-Link CPE710s.

The DECA eBay listing says "Requires SWM system." Is that something that's standard with Genie?

Also, do you happen to know if the Dish system can be similarly configured, or only DirecTV?

Thanks!

Thanks! Yes, I have WiFi 6 router on each end connected via a pair of 5Ghz 867Mbps TP-Link CPE710s.

The DECA eBay listing says "Requires SWM system." Is that something that's standard with Genie?

Also, do you happen to know if the Dish system can be similarly configured, or only DirecTV?

Thanks!
SWIM is required for the Genie install --However The wireless Client only rides on the D*TV Wireless Bridge (WIFI) NOT your home WIFI network --The Hr-44 & HR-54 Require an external D*TV Wireless bridge --While the HS-17 has a Wireless Bridge Built in.

Your best bet is to install a RG6 or RG11 --If your Barn is more than 150' feet from the DISH or Just put up another SAT DISH on the barn

Thanks!

Yes Directv has only been installing SWM for about a decade now.

I have no idea about Dish, though I suspect something similar is possible. You'd have to ask in the Dish forums.

SWIM is required for the Genie install --However The wireless Client only rides on the D*TV Wireless Bridge (WIFI) NOT your home WIFI network --The Hr-44 & HR-54 Require an external D*TV Wireless bridge --While the HS-17 has a Wireless Bridge Built in.

Your best bet is to install a RG6 or RG11 --If your Barn is more than 150' feet from the DISH or Just put up another SAT DISH on the barn

Which is why I told him specifically to NOT get a wireless client, and instead bridge DECA across his existing wireless to a wired client.

Obviously installing coax is his best bet, but it may be too far in which case it would not work since amplifiers do not work with DECA. If running wire to the barn was that easy, he wouldn't have a wireless link to it, he'd have them linked via cat5 cable.

Installing a separate satellite dish on the barn would only work if he had a standalone receiver or DVR in his barn, which Directv charges extra for and wouldn't let him watch content recorded in the house.

I suggested what I did since it gives him exactly what he wants, and is certain to be successful since he already has a working wireless link between the buildings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts