use new D* recievers or use my own old RCAs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

engdork

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
After remodeling a house we are returning to DirecTV, finally. We will have one HD-DVR TV and the other three TVs will be standard until we upgrade each TV as they age with a HD TV. D* will throw in 3 "free" standard receivers, but I still have 3 old RCA receivers (about 4 years old) model DRD430RG. I realize that the lease fee and the mirror fee are the same and I would have to probably pay $20/old receiver for new cards (I do still ahve the old ones). I just hate to toss things that still work and it seems like there really isn’t a market for these old receivers, matter of fact I doubt I could give them away after looking at ebay.
So what I wanted to know is:
(1) What (if any) is the technical advantage of getting the standard DirecTV receivers instead of using the ones that I have? I don’t know if the ones I would get from D* would be better from a technical standpoint or not.
(2) What (if any) advantage is there from a future viewpoint getting the D* receivers over the ones I have. The only advantage that I can think of is that if one of my old receivers broke, D* would then charge me to get an additional standard receiver – or would they still just lease the standard one to me for free?
Also once we start upgrading the other TVs to HD is there any advantage I would have for say a trade-in value (even though it was free) if I was leasing a DirecTV receiver instead of using my old one and paying the mirror fee.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Last edited:
My thought...

I would just take the receivers DirecTV offers and save your RCA's or pitch them. Most new install's include 4 receivers and as a new customer I think you are able to get one of them upgraded to HD or DVR at no addtional cost. On top of that, I think for $99 you may be able to get an HD DVR.

The fee for addtional recievers is the same regardless if they are leased or owned. If the leased one breaks, DirecTV will replace it whereas if the one you own breaks, you may be on your own. Plus going with DirecTV's receivers you are sure that they will be compatable with the most advanced technology.

The newer D* receivers use the same guide interface as your DVR will, and will be able to access features like the Game Lounge and D*'s interactive programming (such as Alternate Audio with NASCAR Hotpass, and others features.).

Like Nutflush said, the costs will be the same.

I'd highly recommend taking new receivers. You will gain access to interactive features as well as having the same user interface with your standard and HD-DVR receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)