Used Notch Filter Wanted

Slyclops

Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Anyone have a source for a used 524-530 MHz notch filter with 'F' connector ends? I am trying to take out a nearby UHF TV station that is overpowering my antenna amp and making it hard to receive distant OTA UHF TV stations.
Thanks.
Slyclops

Search eBay for "notch filter."
You won't find what you are looking for there.

You can buy and tune a Winegard UT-2700, but they recently nearly doubled the dealer price of them to about $45 each, even though they probably cost under a dollar to make, and they are unshielded. Also, they are nearly impossible to tune without a signal meter, and tough to tune even with one. Update: In another forum, the UT-2700 is linked to Solid Signal for $79.99 and Summit Source for $58+

What are the channels that you have to pass above and below it? There are some off-the-shelf cylindrical traps that are available that wipe out about channel 20 to 26 to clear that swath for insertion of three alternate, modulated channels. Can you wipe out that much spectrum without throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

What is your zipcode?

Last edited:
Re: Filters

Hey AntAntMike, Thanks for responding. My zip is 95407 and I live in Santa Rosa, California. I am on the very fringes of the TV station reception from the San Francisco Bay Area. I could loose Channels 20-26 if the filter had 'F' connections on it, that way I could just use an A-B Switch to kick it in or out, as desired. You can find more info on my plit by reading the post "WHAT IS TV OVERLOAD" in this foram a few post back. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Slyclops

...My zip is 95407 and I live in Santa Rosa, California. I am on the very fringes of the TV station reception from the San Francisco Bay Area. I could loose Channels 20-26 if the filter had 'F' connections on it, that way I could just use an A-B Switch to kick it in or out, as desired. You can find more info on my plit by reading the post "WHAT IS TV OVERLOAD" in this foram a few post back. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

The people I buy filters from are all wholesalers so I can't refer you to any of them, but either Channel Plus or ChannelVision makes three models of cable TV notch filters that wipe out half a dozen consecutive cable TV channels for insertion of modulated chanels, and you can buy the filter you need from whichever one of them has it. UHF channel 23 is about the same as cable channel 74. I think they make one filter that removes cable channels 64-69, another removes 70-75 and the third removes maybe 76-82. Those cutoff points are approximate, from memory, but your strong station is right in the middle of the middle, so even if I am off by a channel or two on my recollection of rolloff points, the middle one will work for you.

ChannelPlus NF-470 Notch Filter, Blocks CATV 70-74

This is a channel 19 to 23 (UHF) notch filter. From your ZIP, I assume you are having problems with your local PBS station. The above filter would clear out that channel.

Instead of an A/B switch, you might be able to split your signal and put the notch on one leg and just attenuate all the signals on the other leg until PBS is low enough and then recombine them with a splitter in reverse. I don't know if this would work though. Mike might be able to confirm. There might be some phasing trouble if you go that route.

I have a Leviton 47690-NFA Notch Filter (blocks incoming cable TV channels 75-80) that I am not using. PM if you want more info.

How about using a Channelmaster JoinTenna for channel 20 and putting a terminating F connector on the channel 20 input?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm gonna go with the NF470 and my A/B switch. The spec's on the NF470 say it eliminates UHF channels 19-23, which is good for me cause 23 is what I want to take out, but, the specs also state that the NF470 eliminates frequency 499.25 - 523.25, which according to my list, is a bit short of the 524-530 MHz frequency of channel 23, so I'll see by trial and error. Again, thank you all for your help. Slyclops

A consumer filter that is labeled to attenuate frequencies from 499.25 to 523.25 MHz is actually engineered to suppress all signals from 498 to 528 MHz by enough to allow reinsertion of an analog channel, whcih means by about 50dB. Blame the sales staff for doing a poor job of reporting the specs. Even at 530MHz, the attenuation will still be 40dB or so.

Here is a customer critique that you should find encouraging:

"Pretty much blocks channel 75 also which makes it not watchable. Does the job."
- ANDREW -- BETHLEHEM

Just go dumpster diving at the local cable TV company... You'll find tons of notch filters that can block just about any channel. :) Um, not that I've ever dumpster dived, or anything, erm... Gotta go. Bye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts