Used Voom Receivers

John317

Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
I see a lot of used Voom Receivers on eBay for low prices, but I called Voom and they said they would not give subscription for used equipment and that I had to buy new. Is that legal?

Welcome to the forum, John317!

Do not buy VOOM receivers on eBay! You won't be able to activate them.
And most likely you won't be able to use them even for OTA!
Stay away from that!

wasch_24 said:
For some inexplicable reason this has been Vooms policy from day one.
I don't know about "from day one". When I purchased my VOOM system in December 2003 I don't remember anything that said that the receiver would not be transferable (like every other DBS satellite company). VOOM was quiet on this. I think this became their policy when people started trying to sell the receivers. Are you saying that it was written in the "fine print" somewhere?

Rick214 said:
...I don't remember anything that said that the receiver would not be transferable... Are you saying that it was written in the "fine print" somewhere?
Actually, it's written in the same print as the most part of the Customer Agreement. I don't have the December version of it, but here is what it currently states:

7. Assignment or Transfer: This Agreement, the VOOM Service and any Equipment supplied by us are not assignable or otherwise transferable by you.​

So what happens if I seel my house with a Voom system installed? Do you have to call them to come out and deinstall then reinstall? No wonder they are in the red.

so if they are saying its non transferrable by the end user.. it is transferrable by them are they claiming ownership... that could be a legal violation.

7. Assignment or Transfer: This Agreement, the VOOM Service and any Equipment supplied by us are not assignable or otherwise transferable by you.​

I take this as meaning once I purchased the equipment that Voom is no-longer supplying the equipment. Now if I was renting the equipment this makes perfect since as they are supplying the equipment. I know of 6 or 7 people who have asked me about Voom and once I told them about Vooms Standing on re-selling the receivers they lost all interest. Like me the prefer not to lease equipment. If I would have known about this policy upfront I would not have chose Voom myself.

motorcycle_rider said:
I take this as meaning once I purchased the equipment that Voom is no-longer supplying the equipment.
Yes, you may own the hardware, but you still cannot transfer the service.

Also, note, that you do not own the Access Card:
3. Purchased Equipment:
(a) ... The Access Card remains our property... You agree to return the Access Card to us upon request...​
As for me, I decided to purchase my STB (or more precisely, not to return it at the end of the 4-month money-back period). I was well aware of the fact that it would be useless should I decide to cancel the service. But since I had no intentions of leaving VOOM, I decided to lock-in the promotional ("Charter") service rate and eliminate the rental fees. Still glad I did!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)