Useful trick with UHF remote extender

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How long can the wire be / how far away can it be from the receiver to do the splitter UHF antenna solution? Would it work 200 to 300 feet? Would an amp help it if it will not work otherwise?

aamert said:
... Then i splitted the cable into two again with one going in to the TV and other output i connected the remote extender.
I guess the only "concern" would be that you are now transmitting your TV2 output (CH-60?) OTA. Likely not an actual problem, but probably against FCC rules.:D

I replaced the existing short UHF remote antenna, that comes with the receiver with a old non amplified rabbit ears antenna and connected it to that input with a short coax. The old antenna provides better receiption than the standard short thingy that screws into the receivers back. Works like a charm.

I got it to work. I at first got it to work with an amplifier and a few splitters. After that I wanted to make it work even better in the other extended rooms (we are talking block walls and metal) and somehow it worked without an amplifier or antenna connected, just connected to a seperate coax wire to itself but still three rooms away. I dont know how that can be. I do have the UHF antenna still connected to the splitter where the receiver is at but not where the tv is at and it has better range. Maybe it is picking up the signal somehow with the coax wire connected to the UHF antenna input and using the UHF antenna on the splitter where the receiver is at to get a good range or something. I am going to try putting a UHF antenna on that coax where the tv is at to see if it works even better.

I did not think one could transmit channel 60 that easily OTA with a UHF antenna. Can someone actually pickup a good signal that way as a replacement to a wireless A/V sender? I live out in the country so its not like its going to affect anybody else.

I heard of people using yaggis and other outside UHF antennas to extend range of the remote or transmit their A/V around their house and garage.

Thanks for the tip on the rabbit ears ralfguy, I will give that a shot.

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
I did not think one could transmit channel 60 that easily OTA with a UHF antenna. Can someone actually pickup a good signal that way as a replacement to a wireless A/V sender? I live out in the country so its not like its going to affect anybody else.

It definately works short range. I had a TV2 that was 20+ years old at one house--it had 75 and 300 ohm connectors. As I was putting the Connector on the cable, I noticed that the picture was clear on the tv. When I put the Fconnector on the 75 ohm jack, it went fuzzy, so I cut it off, stripped it way back and wrapped the center conductor around the 300 ohm screws. It was getting a crystal clear picture without the cable even touching the screws. Interesting, to say the least.

Has anybody tried making a long wire antenna with a piece of twin lead and an adapter?

I know that there used to be a device that was sold that would allow you to broadcast on a UHF channel but I do not think such a device is being sold anymore due to it not being legal.

i tried broadcasting the TV2 output OTA through a antenna and using amplifiers... i could only get a distance of about 15' foot or so, and not the best picture quality....

Stargazer said:
I know that there used to be a device that was sold that would allow you to broadcast on a UHF channel but I do not think such a device is being sold anymore due to it not being legal.
Yup, I own one. Battery powered, about the size of a cigarette pack. When I bought it I opted for CH-14. Company was closed down a few months later. Indeed, connecting the CH-60 output to a decent antenna will result in transmission OTA.

ralfyguy said:
I replaced the existing short UHF remote antenna, that comes with the receiver with a old non amplified rabbit ears antenna and connected it to that input with a short coax. The old antenna provides better receiption than the standard short thingy that screws into the receivers back. Works like a charm.
You may be better with the round UHF loop that used to come with every TV before they became coax only. It is smaller and less unwieldy than rabbit ears. You may need to adapt it from lugs to the F connector.
-Ken

Wow what a huge improvement. I have been fighting with tv2 remote for a year and bam 2 splitters and its perfect now. Thanks for whoever brought this up again!

I have an older receiver, in the basement, feeding signal to all upstairs rooms via RG6 & splitters. UHF remote worked pretty well upstairs for a couple of years, is now undependable. (Batteries are new). I tried running some RG6 upstairs from the receiver and putting the UHF antenna up there, but it didn't improve things. Then -- this is what has me scratching my head -- I discovered it worked just as well with no antenna at all.

Anybody have any ideas about what's happening?

If you mean it works just as well with the rg6 hooked up without the antenna being on it, then strip back about 6" on the rg6 and expose the center conductor and see how it does.

I had some type of similar situation. It worked better without the antenna. I had an amplifier connected to a different wire. It did not make sence to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)