Request for those with ViP211...

costanza

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
My picture from component out is much darker than S-video using this receiver. I think that on some DVD players, component out sometimes utilizes 0 IRE vs. 7.5(?) IRE for composite/S-video. Does this happen with component output on this receiver too? My "brightness" setting is nearly maxed out on my TV using component from the 211 :(

My request is that those with this receiver compare brightess of their picture from component vs. s-video.

THANKS!

I have S-Video for SD and HDMI for HD and they look pretty close to me. It might be slightly darker using HDMI. I've also used Components for HD and it looks the same as HDMI.

If you have your brightness maxed out still seems dark then there might be a issue with the receiver.. You might want to swap it out with another one if you still have this issue then its something to do with your tv..

My picture from component out is much darker than S-video using this receiver. I think that on some DVD players, component out sometimes utilizes 0 IRE vs. 7.5(?) IRE for composite/S-video. Does this happen with component output on this receiver too? My "brightness" setting is nearly maxed out on my TV using component from the 211 :(

My request is that those with this receiver compare brightess of their picture from component vs. s-video.

THANKS!

The picture from component, HDMI are indistinguishable on my Sony GW and Vip211. S-Vid looks much the same, just not as sharp and of course no HD.

My tv has independent controls on all the inputs, each can be set to a different setting, so... can your tv do the same? are the S-video and component on the same input?

Yeah, I can set the individual inputs on my TV at their own settings. That's not the problem. The picture quality from both component and S-video looks good. That's not the problem. The problem (maybe/maybe not) is that the picture from component is much darker than from S-video. I just want to know if the difference I'm seeing is normal. If it means anything, I also have to turn up the brightness pretty high on OTA HDTV.

When the 942 first came out there were software problems causing the svideo ports to be very dark, much darker than any other outputs. But I have not heard of this in a long time.

Have you tried a different tv, or a different receiver on that tv? Cable ok, all 4 pins? If nothing else call E* and ask them to switch it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)