Using 2 VIP722K Receivers

What lnb's are on your dish? if DPP, you need one coax run from lnb output to DPP separator to feed both inputs on one receiver. So with two 722s, two coax runs should do it. You may have the separators (looks like splitters) as they usually come with dual tuner receivers. This and other schematics are usually found in manual, hopefully you received one as well or you can download from mydish.com.

Acronyms

Guys,
Thanks for the reply. I need some definitions of the acronyms used (LNB, DPP, etc...). Also I still need a schematic, the DISH site does not have a schematic for the installation of 2 VIP722's.

Thanks,
Tony

Try the Dish Tech Portal. I believe they did have some diagrams as well as explanations of some of the tech or differences between Legacy and DishPro, for example. And there is even a DishPro PLUS. He, he, :). Also, the use of SEPERATORS will allow you to have to pull only ONE cable to each room where you have your 722K's instead of TWO cables for each DVR, but that requires COMPATIBLE LNBF's or external switches. See, how complicated this is starting to get?

The thing is that today there are so many different components for DBS installs for both Dish and DirecTV, and some are NOT compatible, while other are backward compatible, and others absolutely will function with only ONE external switch--it goes on and on. If you can be more specific and let us know what you have or even post clear pictures show if it is a DishPro, etc., you will get some really great help from some very nice people.

Last edited:
Continuing Saga, more help needed

OK guys. The way my single VIP722 is connected from the dish is,
Coax to a GRB-2DHR, which just looks like it is supplying an interconnect from the DISH to the coax while adding a substantial ground. Next the coax runs through a Diplexer then to a Separator and into the receiver.

Questions:
1) Do I need a DPP44 switch with a power inserter to add another VIP722 to my house?
2) Can I achieve the same results with a splitter and a power inserter?
3) What am I missing, is there another way?

Thanks,
?Tony

A schematic isn't going to do any good if you don't know what equipment you have.

The GRB-2DHR is just the grounding block.

If you only have one cable from the Dish to the receiver, you probably have DPP (Dish Pro Plus) components.

Assuming the dish is DPP tech, you need two runs from the dish, one to each receiver. At the receiver, you would use a separator (NOT the same as a splitter). Splitters will not work. No switch is needed.

Code:
REC = RECEIVER
SEP = SEPARATOR

D                         G                       S ----- R
                          R                       E       E
I ----------------------- O --------------------- P ----- C
                          U
S ----------------------- N --------------------- S ----- R
                          D                       E       E
H                                                 P ----- C

Again, all the above assumes DPP components. The dish will have an additional output to connect the second receiver cable to.

What about the Diplexers?

Thanks for the info JM42 - But what about the diplexers? Every schematic I have looked at has them in line.

Thanks,
?Tony

Thanks for the info JM42 - But what about the diplexers? Every schematic I have looked at has them in line.

Thanks,
?Tony

You do not always need diplexers. If you have two cables going from the receiver to a utility room then there is no need for a diplexer. You would only need a diplexer when there is only one cable to that location. The purpose for this is so you can have the the satellite signal going to the receiver and the TV2 out signal going back through the same cable. Picture this as a single cable below:

You can pass two different signals through one cable. The diplexers allow you to combine the signals at one location and then to separate them at another location.

Diplexer Set Up.png

?Hopefully this diagram makes more sense.

If you need them then they could go anywhere between the dish and separator. If you have OTA going to the second 722, or are planning on using the TV2 out on the second 722, or want access to the TV2 out of the other 722, you may need one.

Too many variables to determine exactly where you might need them inserted. One would be required wherever you need to combine or separate the Sat and OTA(or TV2) frequencies to/from one cable. If you need them, I prefer a triplexor (a combined separator/diplexor - one input, three outputs) at the receiver end.

This is what I actually have:

D B D T---------R
I----------O-------I ---------- R-------- E
S---------X P I---------C
H L P
E L
X E
E X
R E
R

With UHF out of the Diplexer running to the 2nd TV. What can I put in-line between the BOX, which is outside the house, and the Diplexer that would enable me to install another VIP722K?

Thanks,
?Tony

New Schematic Picture

OK here we GO

2 COAX from DISH to Exterior Box.
1 COAX from Exterior Box to Diplexer.
1 COAX from Diplexer to TRIPLEXER.
1 COAX from VHF/UHF to TV2

What can I put in-line on the 1 COAX from the Exterior Box so I can connect a second VIP722K?

Thanks,
?Tony

You will need to run a new coax from the exterior box to the second 722 receiver. There is no way to connect 2 receivers using a single coax.

OK here we GO

2 COAX from DISH to Exterior Box.
1 COAX from Exterior Box to Diplexer.
1 COAX from Diplexer to TRIPLEXER.
1 COAX from VHF/UHF to TV2

What can I put in-line on the 1 COAX from the Exterior Box so I can connect a second VIP722K?

Assuming:
  1. The "exterior box" is just a weather protected junction box, and not a switch or other active component.
  2. The second "coax from dish to exterior box" is not OTA or some cable remnant.
  3. The second "coax from dish to exterior box" is actually connected to the LNBs at the dish end
Then you need to extend the second "coax from dish to exterior box" to the new receiver location.

There is nothing you can "put in-line on the 1 COAX from the Exterior Box" that will allow a second 722 to be connected.

Each 722 needs a run all the way back to the dish.

Pay very close attention to MrDogDad's second sentence in post #13. It sounds like you want badly for it not to be true.

You don't need a diplexer if you're using a triplexer. The triplexer is a combination diplexer-DPP separator device.

BTW, you've done a most excellent job of not giving us information we need to advise you (the dish and LNB). You could save everyone a whole lot of dialog if you'd do a little research on what you're working with.

Self-installing is overrated (and typically not an acceptable way to start a new subscription to DISH or DIRECTV).

Very true Harshness. We may not always enjoy it, but we have to have some work to do. If you do it yourself and it's not up to specs (99% of the time) tech just have to reinstall it anyways.

"...Each 722 needs a run all the way back to the dish...."

QFT.

Not the case with Hoppers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts