using 811 remote with 508 PVR

Ransack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 13, 2003
Virginia
I just had my 811 installed today in my rec room where my current 508 pvr resides. Since the 811 came with the new UHF pro remote (Along with all the DVR buttons), i figured it would control my 508 right out of the gate....nope!

Can anyone help with this? I know in the past i had to change the remote address since my 508 was on the same address as my 4800.

Right now, both the 811 and the 508 show remote address as 1 in the system info screen.

My remote for the 508 does not operate the 811 and vice versa which is fine because the 508 has much better PQ than the 811 for non HD porgramming. *11 is very dark. Besides still need to operate the 508 independantly to record.

The DISH PRO UHF remotes operate at a different frequency than the 508 UHF remote does so the 811 won't operate the 508. The 811 remote dosen't send an IR signal so it won't operate the 508 in the 508's IR mode. You will need two remotes.

Can an older (blue button) UHF remote control the 811?

I need to use the 811 to feed other TVs (over coax using an RF modulator). I'd like to use an extra remote I have in the other rooms. Or will I have to buy a separate 811 sapecific remote. That would be very annoying (and expensive too, I bet).

I have a 501 and the 811. When the tech install the 811 he changed the remote address id. The 811 receiver will accept IR. The 811 remote will not send IR in sat mode. I used my 501 remote to train a learning remote to control the 811 by temporary switching the 501 and 811 remote address id's. Kind of tricky but now my universal sony RM-VL900 controls both dish receivers.

Kevinw said:
My remote for the 508 does not operate the 811 and vice versa which is fine because the 508 has much better PQ than the 811 for non HD porgramming. *11 is very dark. Besides still need to operate the 508 independantly to record.

Well holy crap.. all of a sudden my 811 remote works the 508 and vice versa...Irritating to say the least.. Any way to fix this?

The fact that you can change remote addresses is correct. If they were set the same, however, you'd change the channel on both the 508 and the 811 at the same time, even if they were in different rooms.

If you only want to use one remote and only have one receiver on at a time I guess that would work OK. I think the remote address is on the system info screen. I don't know how you actually change it it though.

your owner manual gives instruction to change the remote address ID. Check the 508 manual. Me 501 manual has the instruction but the 811 doesn't. Go figure.

RJS said:
The fact that you can change remote addresses is correct. If they were set the same, however, you'd change the channel on both the 508 and the 811 at the same time, even if they were in different rooms.

If you only want to use one remote and only have one receiver on at a time I guess that would work OK. I think the remote address is on the system info screen. I don't know how you actually change it it though.

If you are changing both addresses at the same time, start by unplugging one of the receivers and change the other address. That should fix that problem.

No you don't have to unplug anything. Start by pushing the button "info" on the receiver then follow the instruction in the manual. It's easy as pie.

hold sat button over 3 sec backlight comes on
select a number on the remote
pound button if valid number the sat backllight flashes 3 times
then record button
then sat button
then your tv should show your new ID.

I wouldn't want the 811 to control the channel changing of the 508. All i want it to do is be able to use the PVR buttons, but i guess E* figured no one would want to do this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)