Using a Beam or Yagi Antenna to get stations about 70 miles away

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi,

I'm trying to get a few stations from the Dallas area that according to AntennaWeb are between 64 and 67 miles away, and with them all being at about the same compass heading (9-10 degrees) I was wondering if there's a suggested amplified beam or yagi antenna I could use to get these stations. I have a small amplified antenna in the house that get them, but the signal breaks up during the day. Also I don't want a huge monster outside, just something simple if possible since it just needs to point to one area on the horizon :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam

Where are you and what channels? A channel master 4228 UHF antenna does a good job at that distance.

I'm in Waco, Tx, and I specifically want to get KERA-DT since Dish doesn't offer our local PBS station in HD. I say Local, our true Local PBS station KWBU shut down a few months ago, so the closest one is in Belton which is way too far for an OTA antenna. As for other channels, if I can get any others from Dallas then bonus, but most are the major networks (ABC, CBS, etc) which I already get. PBS is the one I'm striving for.

Our house has a chimney I can mount it on to raise it above the roofline which should give it pretty good line of site to Dallas. Plus the cable run would be about 50 feet or so (give or take) to make it into the house. I'd love it if I could piggy back it over the same coax as Dish so I don't have to run two lines into the house, but if it needs a dedicated cable I'll do what I need to.

I'm researching channel master 4228 UHF now, so thanks :)

Update: It doesn't seem like this antenna has a preamp built in, so would this suffice? Amazon.com: Channel Master CM7777 Titan2 VHF/UHF TV Antenna Preamplifier with Power Supply (Grey): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BOxguAjKL.@@AMEPARAM@@31%2BOxguAjKL I guess I could try it without a pre-amp and try to save $60, and use this as a fallback.

Sam

Last edited:
I'm using an Antennas Direct 91XG, and am pulling in stations well over 100 miles away. One is at 100%, a couple in the 70's, and a couple in the 60's.

edit: using a Channel Master amp as well.

I'm north of the metroplex and your south. TV fool shows me at 61.3 miles from most of the towers on Cedar Hill. The CM4228 may get you all except 8/9/11 because they are VHF. I use the 4228 and a VHF only antenna run into a Tru-Spec TA-36 distribution amp. 31.4 RTV is my biggest problem it is only in the mid 60's but it is listed a 2 edge -6.5dB on TV fool. So I guess I can put up with a little digitalization.

You should be OK for most Dallas stations but 8/9 and 11 may require you to put up a large VHF antenna.

In my opinion a mast mounted preamp is a must. I get most of the Dayton Ohio stations here in Northern KY with a mast mounted amp and a UHF Corner reflector. Without the mast mounted preamp , they do not come in at all. Dayton is some 45 to 50 miles from here.

KERA comes in around Waco about 13 dB NM at about 30 ft AGL, incrementing about 0.2 dB per 10 ft above that, you dont get 1 edge reception until about 150 ft AGL.

My recommendation is put the antenna as high as you practically can, get the best antenna for channel 14 (maybe the Winegard PR-8800) and use a pre-amp if you can without overloading (maybe the Winegard HDP-269).

I have a CM4228 on my roof, and it doesn't look nearly as big when you get it up there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts