using a dish 500 antenna for 61.5 or 129

all4jo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Haiti and lexington ky
hello everyone, in kentucky i have a dish 1000 which doesnt have the single lnb for 129 on it . i have a dish 500 antenna and i was wondering wether i can use the 500 to point at 129 or 61.5 and just connect the cable to the dish 1000 ?
thanks

all4jo, if you use a Dish 500, it's best remove the y-bracket and replace it with an I-bracket.....and use a DP single or dual. That puts the LNB in the center (best focus position). If you do that, then you can aim the dish 500 by using the "Dish 300" azimuth and elevation numbers provided by your receiver for you zip code. I recently aimed a Dish500/with I-bracket to 129, but my receiver did not provide azimuth and elevation info for that satellite. I had to get it from the internet. I used this site:
http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

On that site, you enter the satellite's longitude and your house's latitude and longitude. It then calculates you dish's elevation and azimuth. If you use that site, though, be careful when entering WEST longitudes. WEST LONGITUDES MUST BE ENTERED AS NEGATIVE NUMBERS. For example, enter 90 degrees west as -90.

But getting back to your problem....if you have a DP single or dual, why don't you just put it on your dish 1000 and forget about putting up the Dish 500. Your 129 signal won't be as strong, but it'll probably ge good enough. Of course it would be somewhat more subject to rain fade.

I didn't understand whether your Dish 500 had a twin on it or two DP singles/duals. If it has a DP twin, then I'm not sure if you can put its 129 output into the Dish1000's DPP twin's input. My guess is that you probably can, but I don't know it for a fact. If this last case is the one that applies to you, then you're going to have a hard tome aiming your Dish 500/DPP twin at 129 (or 61.5). It can be done, but it would be....a bitch. :eek: I'd recommend zero skew and aiming 4.5 degrees to the left or right of the calculated azimuth (depending on which side of the DP Twin you hooked up to.

all4jo said:
is the big dual lnb on the 500 a dp?
There is only one size of Dual, which is the same width as a Single. The piece that is twice as wide with a built-in switch is a Twin (2 outputs) or a Quad (4 outputs). The legacy versions do not have a dp logo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts