Using a powerline adapter with Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kanadka

Original poster
May 5, 2015
KCMO
Our wireless internet is setup on the third floor of our house, unfortunately the signal is so weak in the basement (where our home theater is located) that we can't take advantage of Directv On Demand. I purchased a Linksys Powerline Adapter (not the wireless one) and connected the main receiver to the modem/router upstairs and the second receiver in the basement. It has four ports, one I am using for the PS4, and seems to be working. I wanted to use a second port for the Directv, but the box (or Genie) does not have an ethernet connection, only a USB connection. The main box is on the first floor of the house, it does have an ethernet connection. Anyway, can I use a USB-Ethernet adapter so I can connect the Directv to the Powerline adapter? Or should I get another router, connect that to the Powerline adapter and use it as an Access Point? Or, lastly, can I trade that smaller Directv box for another one, like I have on the main floor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Kanadka!

Take another look, the Genie has an ethernet port on it.

if you have nothing but genie/mini genie's then you can plug the ethernet adapter right into the back of the main genie. however, if you have any other type of D* box, you will need a swm 2-way spilter, and a Broadband deca. if i had to guess the reason you missed the ethernet port on the genie was because you have a HR-34 which likely has the two rubber plugs in the ports on the back.

if you have nothing but genie/mini genie's then you can plug the ethernet adapter right into the back of the main genie.
regardless of what other receivers are in the system, it is always safe to connect the Genie via ethernet

Our wireless internet is setup on the third floor of our house, unfortunately the signal is so weak in the basement (where our home theater is located) that we can't take advantage of Directv On Demand. I purchased a Linksys Powerline Adapter (not the wireless one) and connected the main receiver to the modem/router upstairs and the second receiver in the basement. It has four ports, one I am using for the PS4, and seems to be working. I wanted to use a second port for the Directv, but the box (or Genie) does not have an ethernet connection, only a USB connection. The main box is on the first floor of the house, it does have an ethernet connection. Anyway, can I use a USB-Ethernet adapter so I can connect the Directv to the Powerline adapter? Or should I get another router, connect that to the Powerline adapter and use it as an Access Point? Or, lastly, can I trade that smaller Directv box for another one, like I have on the main floor? Any help is greatly appreciated.
no, you can't connect a USB to ethernet adapter, the DIRECTV® receiver dot have the drivers for them. Also you can only have one Genie per account, so you wont be able to trade one mini for another Genie. You can however relocate the Genie to the basement and connect the Genie via ethernet and move the mini to the first floor.

The Power Line adapters Will work with D* recvrs ... I am currently using one for my HR24 in the bedroom.
I do not know if it would work for a Genie though.
I have a 44 so it's set up wireless thru the internal in the 44.

no, you can't connect a USB to ethernet adapter, the DIRECTV® receiver dot have the drivers for them. Also you can only have one Genie per account, so you wont be able to trade one mini for another Genie. You can however relocate the Genie to the basement and connect the Genie via ethernet and move the mini to the first floor.
Thanks! This seems like the easiest solution. For some reason I assumed the Genie had to be where the tech installed it - same with the mini's.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Kanadka!

Take another look, the Genie has an ethernet port on it.
I see the ethernet port on the main Genie, but not on the smaller mini ones they installed in the other rooms. Maybe I did miss it. I'll look again.

I see the ethernet port on the main Genie, but not on the smaller mini ones they installed in the other rooms. Maybe I did miss it. I'll look again.

I thought you were talking about the Genie, not the client.

Thanks! This seems like the easiest solution. For some reason I assumed the Genie had to be where the tech installed it - same with the mini's.
nope, they can be moved around. don't move anything but the receivers, any other component like a SWM power inserter must stay where it was installed, unless you want to do extra work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)