Using a Slinbox with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New Jersey
I want to use a Slingbox in a room that doesn't have a TV but just my iMac and watch TV on that. I was reading out the Slingbox and it seems like a great device. Does anyone here use a SB with their DirecTV? If so, does it work well? Also, if you use a SB can you use the DirecTV remote to control the SB program guide on the computer?

If you can boot the iMac to Windows (boot camp) and you have MRV enabled on your DirecTV account, you can watch DVR'ed programming using directv2pc. You only need to start recording the program, wait a few minutes and then start directv2pc on the computer to begin watching.

I have not used SlingBox so I have no idea if/how it would work for you.

I use a slingbox with my Bedroom HR-20 and it works great.
You use a replica of the D* remote that is on the computer screen to control the D* STB.

New DirecTV customer and I have my Slingbox connected to one of my HR24's. It works great. Here's a screen capture of it in use (note that this is the Windows desktop client)

sling.jpg

Note that DirecTV2PC might be a cheaper alternative if you have MRV activated. My monitor isn't HDCP compliant so it didn't work for me, but it might for you. Of course DirecTV2PC doesn't work outside the home so you can't watch your TV remotely. With a Slingbox you can watch anywhere in the world if you have a broadband connection.

Last edited:
I use a sling box on my mac, and yes it works just as well as the windows version. The only differnece is that with a slingboxpro, you dont get the HD signal on the mac because E* failed to build it in as they want you to use the browser version in order to watch tv. With the browser version you do get hd. Neverless, the SD signal still looks halfway decent.

I have a slingbox pro HD and it is awesome. Just use the web based slingplayer from your Mac. The remote will be on your screen in the browser.

If you want to control it via a remote in a case you are no close to the Imac, you may be able to use your remote in RF mode if you are not too far away from the receiver.

I also have the slingplayer app on my EVO 4G phone for when I'm not at home.

Since your slingbox and imac would be on the same network, the picture will be really good quality.

Pic from my phone on 3g.
SlingExample.png

Last edited:
I have a Solo connected to my bedroom HR22. I use to watch games at work, or connect my laptop to a 2nd tv in the living room, when there are 2 good games on.

I wanted the Slingbox Pro HD, but right now, my upload speed is not enough to justify it so I went with the Solo. On my phone it is hard to tell the difference, and looks pretty darn good. I will be upgrading though once they turn on the fiber that they laid down last year....

I have a Solo connected to my bedroom HR22. I use to watch games at work, or connect my laptop to a 2nd tv in the living room, when there are 2 good games on.

I use it all the time on my droid when we are out of town.
Last weekend we went to biloxi to gamble some and I had the slingplayer app fired up watching a ballgame while playing blackjack. Its a conversation starter as much as anything else. lol. Tons of people were crowding around our table to check it out. Pit boss got a little upset and asked me to turn it off after a while.

Edit: the slingplayer app is expensive as far as apps go ($30), but for me it has been money well spent.

Sling Box

I'm using Sling Box Pro - in HD - with Directv - and the picture is great - I now even get the sling box on my Droid - granted you have to pay for the app - but it works with no problem at all. I did have a hard time with the DSL modem from the phone company, called Sling Box service and they had me up and running in minutes. Great Service.

Thought I'd chime in too...

I have the Slingbox Pro HD and have the SlingPlayer app on my HTC Evo. I gotta say, that this is a great invention. The SlingPlayer is great and never fails. The app for the phone is a little expensive but, again worth it. It's a one time $30 fee and there is no monthly fee with SlingBox. Only thing I wish the SlingPlayer app did was allow for HDMI out on my Evo but, that may come with an update down the road.

The SlingBox Pro allows 3 inputs. I have DirecTV, Roku (for Netflix) and OTA hooked up. Keep in mind though, the SlingBox is like a TV meaning if you are watching a show via DirecTV using your SlingBox, whatever TV you have hooked up to that same DirecTV receiver will also have to watch the same show. That is why it's nice to have multiple inputs so that you don't interfere with those at home.

With a SlingBox you'll always have your favorite TV wherever you are as long as you have internet. Very nice in combination with DVR. There are a lot of older SlingBoxes out there so, to be as "future proof" as possible, I'd suggest the SlingBox Solo or SlingBox Pro HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)