Using EHD to transfer from my dying 622 to a replacement 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
So the HDMI on my 622 finally died (after searching these forums I realized I was quite lucky it had lasted as long as it did) and Dish is sending out a replacement.

Question: I already have one EHD that's plugged in and working, but is just about full. My plan is to get a second EHD, plug it into my current 622, copy off everything I want, activate the new 622, plug in the second hard drive to it, move everything off to the new 622, and then plug the original EHD into the new 622 and have it available as "My Media."

Any flaws in that plan as far as EHDs "attached" to receivers?

Thanks!

I'd say about a 90% chance you will get a 722 with much more disk space. If not, then you al least got what you bought. With no vibration or moving of the working disk, it should last 2 to 6+ years. It will be good to have everything backed up, easier than trying to capture it again. As the externals do not stay on all the time, they should last longer.
-Ken

Boy, I didn't even think about getting a 722. That *would* be nice. I'll let everyone know... FWIW, I had to go up three levels of tech support to get someone who would believe me when I said the HDMI port had failed. Yes, I restarted the box, yes, I tried different HDMI ports on my TV, yes I tried a different cable. The first level CSR asked if I had gone to Radio Shack to look and see if I could buy a "replacement HDMI port." Yikes...

This is funny...

My HDMI port also just died this week but for whatever reason when I call tech supp I get rounted directly to level 3 support. I told the tech the test I had already run as well as the info in the HDMI Test Diag section and he said we will have you a new 622 sent out tomorrow.

I asked about upgrading to a 722 and he said it would cost me $75.00 and a 2 year commitment...no thanks

Yeah, it was a 622. I thought about moving up, but since I already have the external hard drive, it wasn't worth the $75 to have a black receiver...

And the HDMI port is working as expected. And plugging in the hard drive to the new receiver worked just fine. And, a shout-out to Dish support: you can activate new receivers online. I didn't know that, but it meant I didn't even have to pick up the phone. When I logged into my account on dishnetwork.com, it was ready for me: "You are about to replace a receiver. Enter the serial number and smart card number of the new one (after it's all plugged in and check switch'd) and press submit." And that's it - a few minutes later it was activated, all without a phone call.

Still a pain that I had to re-do all my timers, guide settings, favorites, etc., but otherwise quite a seamless transition.

Dish has plenty of refurbished 622 DVRs on-hand, it would seem. Don't expect to get a 722... If you do, consider yourself lucky though !

Nope

Nope you only get a 622. I received my replacement this week and it was the same; another 622. Actually with an external hard drive you are just about as well off as with a 722. There are some differences but it is definitely not work the extras.

JC

And last night the refurb 622 crapped out - constant reboot. (Search the forum for plenty of people who had the same issue.) Another 622 is on its way. After I got off the phone with Dish I unplugged for 30 minutes and plugged it in and was able to get it working again. It was working again this morning, but I'm not going to take any chances. I insisted they send me a NEW one instead of a refurb, but the only way they could guarantee (offer) that was if I had a tech come out to the house. No time to sit at home and wait for that so they're sending another one. For now, all my recordings are going straight to the EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)