Using H10 as a HD tuner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blueridge66

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Northern AZ
Can a H10 receiver be used for tuning OTA HD reception only?
Situation is our son has an older HD "ready" set that doesn't have the HD tuner. I recall the H10 did have a tuner. He has D**** service but not HD.
He doesn't want to activate the H10. Any info on whether the H10 could be used as a stand-alone tuner?

Can a H10 receiver be used for tuning OTA HD reception only?
Situation is our son has an older HD "ready" set that doesn't have the HD tuner. I recall the H10 did have a tuner. He has D**** service but not HD.
He doesn't want to activate the H10. Any info on whether the H10 could be used as a stand-alone tuner?

Yes, it can!

The H10 does not receive MPEG4 so it should be activatable without $10 HD fee. So for $5/mo. it could be activated, My memory says it needs an activation to receive OTA. An HR10-250 will work but I think the H10 was the first that required a subscription to receive OTA.

If you already have the H10 just connect it and see if local channels work I think they will be blocked.

The H10 does not receive MPEG4 so it should be activatable without $10 HD fee. So for $5/mo. it could be activated, My memory says it needs an activation to receive OTA. An HR10-250 will work but I think the H10 was the first that required a subscription to receive OTA.

If you already have the H10 just connect it and see if local channels work I think they will be blocked.

Come to think of it, you may be right. I have a Sony HD200 and LG3200a that don't need to be active to use the ota tuner. The H10-250 may need to be active. Anyone have one that can chime in?

There is the compatibility issue with the SWM equipment. If that stuff is in use there will be mas problamas.

Joe

There is the compatibility issue with the SWM equipment. If that stuff is in use there will be mas problamas.

Joe
I don't know what receiver he has but it's SD.
Like many parents if you give your kids something it's implied you are also tech support!
Having it activated is an issue but won't cost anything to try. It could be a couple weeks but will report results.
thanks to all

The H10-250 may need to be active. Anyone have one that can chime in?
There was no H10-250. There was an H10-200.

Here's a thread at AVS forum suggesting that what the OP is noodling is not going to work: CheaP OTA HD Tuner... - AVS Forum

Since it sounds like the OP already has an H10, I'd try it and see if it works.

Page 37 of the online manual speaks to scanning for OTA channels.

I have a H10 200 that I use as an HD tuner OTA left over from my DirecTV days that works fine. My two H20s do not work I need to have the DirecTV service for them to work. A Voom receiver that was activated at one time will also work.

There wasn't an H10-250? Are you sure about that?
Pretty close to certain.

The HR10-250 was often mistakenly referred to as the H10-250. Obviously an H10 is a non-DVR and an HR10 is a DVR so it should be important to be careful about such things.

As far as I can tell, the H10-200 (Samsung) was the only model available.

Pretty close to certain.

The HR10-250 was often mistakenly referred to as the H10-250. Obviously an H10 is a non-DVR and an HR10 is a DVR so it should be important to be careful about such things.

As far as I can tell, the H10-200 (Samsung) was the only model available.

Okay then, the HR10-250 may need to be active to use the ota tuner, which, by the posts here, looks to be true.

As stated in earlier post the HR10-250 works without being active I have one working very nicely as an ATSC tuner. I am just going from memory on the H10 I don't have one of those to check.

H10 HD RECEIVER

Is that H10 HD receiver a non-rid receiver, or does it have a receiver Id on it? Just was wondering since it's a few years old.

The H10 will work fine for OTA...you just need a sat connection to 101

I got one today at a goodwill (with card & remote) for 15 bucks and it works great :)

so if the H10 can receive OTA if you have a signal...do you get charged a mirroring fee?

I dont have a Directv sub ;)
I bought it for the OTA function. But you need a connection to 101 for OTA to work. Conversely I have a Sony HD receiver (that D* sold) that does NOT need a sat connection to work for OTA only. You dont get the guide unless it has the sat connection though

But to answer your question, unless you actually sub the box with D you would not have a mirroring fee. Only D* channels I get are 100, 200, 201 (and any other channel that shows the a-z list and the sports list for the night)

I dont have a Directv sub ;)
I bought it for the OTA function. But you need a connection to 101 for OTA to work. Conversely I have a Sony HD receiver (that D* sold) that does NOT need a sat connection to work for OTA only. You dont get the guide unless it has the sat connection though

But to answer your question, unless you actually sub the box with D you would not have a mirroring fee. Only D* channels I get are 100, 200, 201 (and any other channel that shows the a-z list and the sports list for the night)

The Sony you refer to is likely an HD200 or HD300. They are the same as the LG 3200a. In fact, I think LG made all three of them. They are very nice boxes. I wish they made them for mpeg4 reception!

YES IT WILL WORK FOR OTA

I have one and what you have to do to use it for OTA is let it download the guide and after that it will let you use it for OTA. As long as you let it download the guide it will let you use the OTA feature, I just tried that the other day on mine to see if I could use it like that.

I have one and what you have to do to use it for OTA is let it download the guide and after that it will let you use it for OTA. As long as you let it download the guide it will let you use the OTA feature, I just tried that the other day on mine to see if I could use it like that.

gee I could have sworn I confirmed that in post 14 ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts