Using multple DVB-S Tuners w/ MyTheater

Status
Please reply by conversation.

halcut

Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
I want to setup my HTPC with multiple tuners (two). I already have a Twinhan 102G, and I've been reading that to get multiples to work, I need to get tuners from different manufacturers.

Could someone please tell me if skystar 2 would work? And if so, which version? I believe that the latest version of ss2 is 2.6D, has anyone tested this with the Twinhan? If not whats the best tuner to get?

I want to setup my HTPC to be able to watch 2 different channels in 2 different rooms.

Thanks!

I want to setup my HTPC with multiple tuners (two). I already have a Twinhan 102G, and I've been reading that to get multiples to work, I need to get tuners from different manufacturers.

Could someone please tell me if skystar 2 would work? And if so, which version? I believe that the latest version of ss2 is 2.6D, has anyone tested this with the Twinhan? If not whats the best tuner to get?

I want to setup my HTPC to be able to watch 2 different channels in 2 different rooms.

Thanks!

Skystar would work…but the latest version does not have “blind scan” which would be nice since Twinhan does not have it either, SkyStar 1 ver 2.3 has “blind scan”...I do not know where you are going to get one...but for almost the same cost you can get the card below…has all the features I would want…I might get it for my second card since SkyStar 2 does not have “blind scan”. BTW I never tested either SkyStar 2 or AVerMedia AverTV DVB-S Pro or Twinhan, so you can take my advice with caution, but if you are set on buying a SkyStar 2 ver 2.6C I am willing to depart with mine, shipping is on me if you are in located in the USA.

AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-S Pro Internal PCI Digital Satellite TV Tuner Card, 75 Ohm Coaxial

TV Antenna/Composite/S-Video/Audio In/FM, Remote included
$119.00 GST Inclusive

Features

AVerTV DVB-S Pro
Watch Digital Satellite TV and Listen to Radio on Desktop !
"AVerTV DVB-S Pro " is a Digital Satellite Receiver Card, which allows you to access most worldwide digital satellite TV channels beyond geographic boundary on your desktop with sharp picture quality. To fulfill a variety of customers’ needs, AVerMedia DVB-S Pro offers "Satellite Internet Access" service, an exciting feature to enjoy the fun of surfing on web at high download speed on your desktop. What is more, another value-added function is that AVerMedia DVB-S Pro can support Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) operating system to further catch up the wave of digital home entertainment.

With AVerMedia DVB-S Pro, you can not only record and save TV programs directly to your PC in MPEG-2 format but also even hook it up to your home video entertainment system with the additional AV and S-video input. Moreover, a fully featured infrared remote control is included to make you to access each feature with ease.

Comparison Table for AVerMedia DVB-S Series
Product Name AVerTV DVB-S Pro AVerTV DVB-S Hybrid+FM
DVB-S O O
Analog TV X PAL / SECAM / NTSC
Stereo Sound O O
Internet via Satellite O O
Product Image

Software Features – AVerTV 6
* Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
o TimeShift
o Schedule Recording into MPEG-1/2 formats

* Channel Management
o Fast Channel Switching and Scanning
o PIP (Picture-in-Picture) / POP (Picture-on-picture)
o 16-Channel Preview

* Complete Channel Scan Capability
o Blind-Scan
It can make up the limitation of default channel frequency and therefore allows you to search more updated channels.
o Easy to Import and Scan All Channel
You can import any satellite channel data file (.sdx) downloaded from the Internet into the application and then scan the stored frequencies for the latest digital satellite programs.
* “sdx” is the format of satellite channel data file

File Management
* Multi-User Settings
* Channel Remapping

Power Management
* Auto Power Off
* Wake-up from S3 (Stand By) /S4 (Hibernate) mode
* Sleep Timer

Quality Management
* Video Quality Enhancement
* Audio Effect Adjustment
* Internet via Satellite
* Worldwide analog TV Access (Optional)
* Free-to-air DVB-S
* FM radio (Optional)
* Worldwide Stereo sound
* Windows XP MCE 2005 Compliant (DVB-S only)
* Highest quality silicon TV tuner
* Complete Channel Scan Capability
* 32/64-Bit Support

* Input Signal
o 75 ? TV Antenna Input
o S-Video
o Composite (RCA)
o Audio In (L/R)
o Remote Sensor
o FM Radio Antenna Input
* Dimension
o 165mm x 64.41mm (Low Profile)

* 256 MB RAM or above
* PCI 2.1 compatible slot
* VGA card supports DirectX 9.0c
* Digital Satellite Dish
* Sound card
* Windows® 2000/XP
* Windows® XP MCE 2005 (DVB-S only)

SDTV
* Intel Pentium® 4 2.4G Hz (Hyper-Threading)
* Intel Pentium® 4 2.8GHz for TimeShift and Record in MPEG-2
* AMD AthlonXP® 2400+

HDTV
* Intel Pentium® 4 2.8GHz for Record in MPEG-2
* Intel Pentium® 4 3.0GHz for TimeShift
* VGA card supports HDTV, DxVA and with 128MB or above
* HDTV will only function when the TV signal is in HDTV format
** The DVB-S mentioned here means standard DVB-S TV system, not DVB-S2.

* AVerTV DVB-S Tuner Card
* Quick Installation Guide
* Installation CD
* Remote Control (Batteries Included)
* Infrared Sensor Cable
* FM Radio Antenna (Optional)
* All-in-One Cable

Model
AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-S Pro Internal PCI Digital Satellite TV Tuner Card, 75 Ohm Coaxial

Brand
AverMedia

Warranty
1 Year Manufacturer's return to base

Manufacturer's Link

http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/235_AVerMedia_AVerTV_DVB_S_Pro_Internal.aspx

Last edited:

Thanks!

Twinhan and skystar2 play nice together in the same computer.

Skystar2 version 2.3 has blind scan abilities with two different software programs. They are cheap on Ebay.

Skystar1 version 2.3 (or any version) DOES NOT HAVE BLIND SCAN ABILITIES.

To clarify what I said earlier the Skystar would work with the Twinhan card…but the latest version of SkyStar does not have hardware “blind scan” capabilities, it does however have software “blind scan” capabilities, which would be nice since Twinhan does not have it either, SkyStar 1 ver 2.3 has hardware “blind scan” capability...I do not know where you are going to , SkyStar 1 ver 2.3...but for almost the same cost you can get the card below…has all the features I would want in a DVB S card…I might get it for my second card since SkyStar 2 does not have hardware “blind scan” capability which I would like to have. BTW I never tested either SkyStar 2 or AVerMedia AverTV DVB-S Pro or Twinhan, so you can take my advice with caution, but if you are set on buying a SkyStar 2 I have the ver 2.6C and I am willing to depart with mine, shipping is on me if you are in located in the USA.

Here is a link where you can learn about the features of DVB S cards, it also discusses the SkyStar 1, 2 all major versions and Twinhan cards as well…all the features apply to Microsoft Windows so it is not exclusive to Linux…you can see the difference between what they call budget cards verses what they call full-featured cards…

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_devices_DVB-S

Here is a discussion about SKyStar 2 and blind scan…I think people do not understand that there are two cards with the same revision…SkyStar 1 rev 2.3 and SkyStar 2 rev 2.3…very confusing…

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2409&highlight=SkyStar

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3637&highlight=SkyStar

http://www.technisat.com/

Last edited:
Merry Xmas

jerryt
I looked on ebay, but was only coming up with a v. 2.6

Does the 2.3 version come up very often?

There was three available this week. Contact this Ebay seller "pacecarjeff" and ask him to sell you a 2.3p. He has a number of them and they have been selling "Buy it now" for 32.00 plus 10.00 shipping. Better hurry, looks like everyone wants one for Xmas.

Thanks guys, this is some great info, and will make my life much easier!
I'll try to find skystar 2 v2.3p.

BTW jerryt - you mentioned 2.3p has hardware blind scan w/ proper software, any software you recommend that I can find online? The cards on ebay seem to be oem without any software.
Thanks!

BTW jerryt - you mentioned 2.3p has hardware blind scan w/ proper software, any software you recommend that I can find online?

Blindscanner hxxp://dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=27347

and

Transpoder finder hxxp://dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=29615

also at the download section of dvbskystar dot com.

There was three available this week. Contact this Ebay seller "pacecarjeff" and ask him to sell you a 2.3p. He has a number of them and they have been selling "Buy it now" for 32.00 plus 10.00 shipping. Better hurry, looks like everyone wants one for Xmas.

I guess too many people contacted "pacecarjeff" for 2.3p, he just listed it on ebay with starting bid 40 plus 10 shipping, raising the price from his previous listing of 32+10... Any other place I can get this?

I guess too many people contacted "pacecarjeff" for 2.3p, he just listed it on ebay with starting bid 40 plus 10 shipping, raising the price from his previous listing of 32+10... Any other place I can get this?

I hunted down three of them on Ebay, but I only found one every two months. Paid 75 each for them. Well worth the money, the 2.3 has the best tuner.

Ok, I admit it, I contacted him too!! :)
But, even $40 plus $10 shipping isn't too bad. Especially if the blindscan works.
grusome

I have been using a Twinhan 1020a and a Nexus-s card with great success. No blindscan, but works great for unattended recordings with MyTheatre. Did have some trouble getting them to work with my Fusion USB box for OTA tv and finally just used another install of MyTheatre for the Fusion USB box. I have one install of MyTheatre for the two satellite cards (just use the /card1 and /card 2 parameters), and another install for the Fusion box. (same computer just install in another directory) Works great. The best way I have found for unattended recordings is to set your computer to suspend after a few minutes of no activity. MyTheater will wakeup the computer and record the program once you set a task in the program schedular. Just make sure to start it a few minutes aheat of time and a couple of extra minutes at the end if you want to make sure you record the complete program. When MyTheatre is finished recording the task and exits, then the windows power save mode waits the specified time and then suspends. I prefer suspend to hibernate as it wakes up quicker, and have had a couple of times where my hibernate had an error on coming out of hibernate. This has been working great for me for over a year with the computer turning on and off a few times each day for my scheduled recordings. I have had a few missed shows due to the power going out or storms passing theough. I also have a FTA setop box for my viewing. The computer cards are not too easy for aligning/peaking a dish to, or for general viewing of live programing. For that I have a set top box, and leave the computer card for my recording.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)