using my active receiver at our inactive seasonal house on occasional weekends

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mishman

Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
maine
I have an active Directv account and a seasonal home with Directv that we suspend service on in the late fall, winter and early spring. (When I first signed up for Directv at this seasonal house four years ago, they said I could suspend service and turn it back on on the occasional weekends when we visited this house - but then they changed rules and would not let us turn it on but once). Anyway, for several years, when we visited this seasonal house, I would just bring over an "active" receiver and plug it in without a problem. We recently upgraded the home satellite receivers and when I tried to bring this new, upgraded receiver over, I got a 771 searching for satellite message. Called customer service - nothing they did could solve my problem. I assume the gig is up using an active receiver in another location. Any suggestions. No lectures on illegality please - Directv changed the rules on my about seasonal service.

This subject has come up quite a bit lately. If you have a dish at the seasonal house then just connect the receiver and possibly rerun guided set up to select the dish (if it's different than the other one).

Tell us what dishes you have and the receiver model.

not sure what swm is. Both sat dishes look same to me. If this topic has been discussed before, could you direct me to where (I did look first before asking but did not turn up anything). Thanks for your help. Really want to watch the game tomorrow but this new receiver is throwing me for a loop.

SWM-single wire multiswitch. The SWM has from the dish one cable going to what looks like a splitter. If you have only one cable connected to the receiver at the house (the regular house) then you have SWM.

You will need 2 cables from the dish to the receiver at the new house unless that is also a SWM setup. But I agree with above, sounds like you need to rerun the sat setup. If worse comes to worse, change it to 18" dish which would at least get you 101W

First, thanks for the help with this. I am not all that technical but this borrowing of the receiver (an older version) worked in the past its just the new receiver that has caused this hiccup

there is no switch at either house, just 4 cables coming in from dish and two each going to the two receivers.

If I run the set up, I assume I will need to do that again when I bring the receiver home right?

ok so you've got the older style slimline and I assume you have the b-band converters attached?

But even at the other location,. if the b-band converters arent hooked up you'll still get 101 (the main SD satellite)...the B-Band converters is what brings in the HD channels

they look like this
SUP-2400_zoom.gif

Both dishes sound to be non-SWM. My guess is the dish at the seasonal house is not aimed correctly.

SUCCESS!

Iceberg _ you are the man!
I took off the b band converter and everything works - in hd no less! Thanks everyone for your help in walking me through this. Ready for World Series now!

Iceberg _ you are the man!
I took off the b band converter and everything works - in hd no less! Thanks everyone for your help in walking me through this. Ready for World Series now!

Glad you got it going....

When you said HR23, that should have been the clue, the 23 is the only recvr that does NOT need the BBC's, pbviously you found out what happens when you use the BBC's when you don't need them !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)