Using my IR Universal Remote with a 921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

srrobinson2

Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
I've had the model 4000 and 5000 receivers for years and have never been able to use my Sony RM-AV3000 remote because these units only work with UHF signals. Now that I've ordered a 921 (not here yet), I wanted to finally use one remote control for everything--only to to learn that the remote I will receive only broadcasts UHF signals to the 921!!

I've checked remnotecentral.com, etc. for help, but since my RM-AV3000 can't interface to my computer (it is a learning remote), I am at a loss. I've thought about trying to buy or borrow a 721 remote to train mine, but now I've learned that there is no HD/SD button on the 721 (which makes sense!).

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

The 5000 works with IR, at least mine does. I used my 6000 remote to program my universal remote with the HD/SD function for the 921. My 5000 remote will also work for this. If I recall correctly, the "Input" button on the 5000 remote emits the correct HD/SD IR code. Give it a try.

I should clarify a couple of points: My 5000 remote does broadcast IR signals as well as UHF, but my 5000 receiver only accepts UHF signals from a remote (some later models accepted both, but not mine).

As for an Input button, I don't have one on my remote. I'm attaching a picture of the remote. If you could look at it and let me know if it is the same as yours, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I have two different remotes for my 5000's. One of them is the one you posted. It's the TV/Video (not Input) button that doubles as the HD/SD control. I just tried it on my 921 and it works. So you should be fine.

I need to get a 721 remote so that I can program the PVR functions of the 921 into my universal remote. I think that one of the 721 buttons will also control the HD/SD of the 921.

Got it--thanks! BTW--If you figure out how to get your hands on a 721 remote for programming, would you let me know?

Also, Mark (in the DBSTalk forum) said that there may be a way to force the 921 remote to output IR codes based on something he's read. He does not have the documentation yet, but this would seem to solve both our problems.

Worst case scenario is that we could spring for the 721 remote and hope that would work. :D

Jerry- You can order a 721 remote from E* parts. I recall it was $35. I called a couple of weeks ago when this scare surfaced.

Don Landis said:
Jerry- You can order a 721 remote from E* parts. I recall it was $35. I called a couple of weeks ago when this scare surfaced.

Thanks Don. I was going to order one from Mark at Dish Depot tomorrow. I know he has them in stock. I've already arranged my universal remote for the PVR functions. I'm tired of carrying around two remotes. If I had three hands, it wouldn't be so bad, but alas, I only have two. :(

Check here on Ebay for $27.00:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=721+remote&catref=C3&socolumnlayout=3&from=R10&sacategory=32842&BasicSearch=

I have verified that the 721 remote can be used to program Universal IR remotes (I have the MX-500). The only key that you will be missing the code for is the SD/HD switch and the descrete power on/off functions that you can supposedly get from the 522 remote.

Makes life much easier for me since I got all of the 921 functions setup on the MX-500 now. I was completely lost trying to use the 921 remote!

Steve

I was playing around with my 921 (it was only 1 hour old) when I grabbed my 508's remote by mistake. Guess what, the remote worked! Not only that but the learned functions on my MX-500 worked as well (cloned from the 508 functions. The only down side is that the remote for the 921 is not being recoginized by the 921.

Well the problem WAS the remote and Dish sent me a replacement. Anyone know how to fix the UHF transmitter (the IR part works fine)?

MX-500 / 921 codes

b5lurker said:
I have verified that the 721 remote can be used to program Universal IR remotes (I have the MX-500). The only key that you will be missing the code for is the SD/HD switch and the descrete power on/off functions that you can supposedly get from the 522 remote.

Makes life much easier for me since I got all of the 921 functions setup on the MX-500 now. I was completely lost trying to use the 921 remote!

Steve

Steve,

If you have an IRCLONE could you either send me an .m5 file or post one on Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=mx500. I too find the 921 remote quite aggrivating. My e-mail is george@trailtree.com

Thanks,

George :)

george3 said:

Steve,

If you have an IRCLONE could you either send me an .m5 file or post one on Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=mx500. I too find the 921 remote quite aggrivating. My e-mail is george@trailtree.com

Thanks,

George :)

George,

Never heard IRCLONE, what exactly is that?

Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)