Using old round 18 dish for tv in garage

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spursdad

Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
texas
I still hav my original 18inch dish when I had Directv installed back in 97. It has a dual LNB and the coax is still connected to the dish but no longer terminated at my junction box by my garage. I have since upgraded to the HDTV setup so my home is covered but I have an old receiver with the access card and plan on hooking it to a tv i my garage. My questions are would i have to activate a different account and assumingmy coax is still good, will I lose any channels other than HD?

ZIP Code: 75025

Receiver Manufacturer: Hughes

Receiver Model: HBH-SA

Receiver Software Version: N/A

Date/Time/Duration of problem: 27 Mar 10

Channel(s) where problem is occurring: N/A

Do you have a Single Wire Multiswitch?: I don't know

since its still on your property just add the receiver to the account. You may need a new smart card. Directv can give you that info if you need one. Its $5 a month for the receiver

as for channels missing between the slimline 5 LNB and the 18" other than HD there are a couple religious channels on 119 and Spanish channels are also there.
A couple of the sonic audio channels are on 119 too

so in a simple word..no you are not missing anything

Do you a standard multi-switch in the garage?

If so, you don't need the old dish, just hook up your old box to the switch if you have a port available, activate the box after getting a new card and you're good to go.

I have an old Hughes HIRD box hooked up in my workshop for several years and it works fine with my AU9 dish and WB68 multi-switch.

livin in the texas sun shine

Call Directv and tell them to reactivate the old reciever. Tell them to add it to you account. They might tell you the smart card in that reciever is too old and they will send you a new one. Directv will charge you $20 for the card, and they can include it on your next bill. Also you will be charged $5 extra a month for that reciever. As for missing channels, you might not get your local and some less viewed channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)