Using receiver at another location

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
Could I add and activate another receiver like a Wally and use it in my office at a different location? We don't spend enough time there to make it worth another subscription, but it'd be worth the $7/month just for the occasional times we may turn on the tv.

Does Dish do anything to prevent this or have serious consequences for doing so?

Yes. I purchased a Wally and a Dish Playmaker antenna for occasional use in our camper. It was added to the existing home account. Because the Wally was purchased, it can be turned on and off in the My Equipment section of the mydish site, and therefore, the $7/month is only in effect during the receiver's "on" time. You'd have to have a place for the portable antenna at your office somewhere. Another alternative, of course, is to use Dish Anywhere at the office which would stream from your Hopper and in some cases directly from the provider. No extra cost for Dish Anywhere.

Re Dish preventing this...no, Dish likes when subscribers add receivers! :)

Last edited:
You wouldn't actually need the Playmaker to get it to work but you would need a dish like you have at home at the office building. The Dish Anywhere suggestion is really your best bet though, provided you have a Hopper with Sling or a Hopper 3. The Hopper Duo does not have Sling and will not work for this configuration. Simply buy an Amazon Fire Stick for $30 plug it into the TV and load the Dish Anywhere app on it and off you go. It will get all of the programming off of your Hopper and you are golden.

The Wally with a reflector and LNBF's is the far more costly option, but if that is what you want, then you know best. However, as stated by previous posters, if you have a Hopper with Sling or H3 and that DVR is connected to your home internet, and if you have have internet access at your office (WiFi or Amazon sells an adapter for "Ethernet cable"), then you can use the DishAnywhere for PC and watch on your or another computer screen or you can get an Amazon Fire Stick and connect it to a TV monitor. The Dish Anywhere option really is the least expensive route with good results.

The Dish Anywhere App option (available on ALL Amazon Fire TV models Cube, etc. including the Fire Stick) allows you can watch live TV and have access to your DVR recordings that are at home to view at your office, something the Wally option can not provide. A work around to avoiding the STREAMING of live channels from the source with NO TRICK-PLAY (no ability to skip fwd or back, etc), is to tune to channel and then start to RECORD that channel while watching. That action will command your DVR to record that channel and now you have full trick-play because now the stream is coming from your DVR at home and not streamed live from the channel company source.

If you do not have a Hopper with Sling or an H3, you could consider an upgrade to the H3 in order to get the benefit of using the Dish Anywhere App option, and you would get the other benefits of the H3 at home.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can second the Amazon Fire/Dish Anywhere solution. Cheap & easy, watch anything on your DVR or guide from your H3, etc. We also use it when travelling in hotels & AirB&Bs to watch DVR & you can view live home-team sports not viewable where we are staying.

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative replies. I've only used DishAnywhere in the past with the Sling adapter and the quality of the app itself (on the web and iPad) wasn't great and the streaming quality was subpar.

I understand it depends on your connection, but if you have a 100Mb connection nowadays, what can you expect the quality to be like compared to watching the Dish channels directly at home?

And how is the app for the iPad and FireTV now? Is it something modern and usable like Netflix or still kind of clunky?

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative replies. I've only used DishAnywhere in the past with the Sling adapter and the quality of the app itself (on the web and iPad) wasn't great and the streaming quality was subpar.

I understand it depends on your connection, but if you have a 100Mb connection nowadays, what can you expect the quality to be like compared to watching the Dish channels directly at home?

And how is the app for the iPad and FireTV now? Is it something modern and usable like Netflix or still kind of clunky?
Many of the channels on Dish Anywhere are now streamed directly instead of via your Hopper. Therefore, picture quality on those channels are not an issue.

Well, the H3 has Sling built-in and is superior to the Sling Adapter. The H3 Sling experience can be EXCELLENT.

The Dish Anywhere App has matured to the point where even I find it a GOOD option, and one I can now really use and live with when Charlie kills my Slingbox. In fact, I have been using Dish Anywhere on my tablets (where I can no longer download the Slingbox app), and have found it to be a GOOD experience.

The streaming quality will depend upon your home internet speed. What matters is NOT you downstream speed at HOME (you stated 100mbs), but on your UPstream speed. Most often, in cable ISP's (they are asymmetric) the UPstream is often slower than the DOWNstream, and sometimes significantly so, but UPstream speeds as low as 4mbs will still get you very good PQ. You need run a speed test to measure your UPstream speed.
For the very best High-Def PQ, about 8mbs upstream is required--HOWEVER, the Sling tech is so good that you can have 3-4mbs upstream and still get a very good High-Def PQ and can result in a PQ like watching at home or pretty darn close to it in the best of conditions
At first the PQ will look lower quality, but the Sling tech is trying to slowly adapt to your UPstream speed without losing a picture and will, after a few minutes, provide a very high PQ in good conditions.

DishAnywhere is Windows and ANDROID only, so your options are Windows PC, Android phones and tablets, and the various Fire TV connected devices or FireSticks (Fire TV's use a forked Android).

The Dish Anywhere Android App for phone and tablets interface does take a bit of getting used to, but once acquainted, you can do the most common things very easily. However, I do find a few things I like to do to be less intuitive, such as the process of downloading DVR recordings to my local device and the Closed Captions settings. It certainly can be better, but I do think you will find it vastly improved.

As for the Fire TV experience, well, it is not clunky as it is limited and simplified, and it too could be a little more intuitive, but you can learn it FAST and it is easy to do the CORE things you want it to do well such as Live TV and watching DVR recordings. The learning curve has to do with the very limited buttons on the Fire remote (just as limited as Roku remotes), so directly changing to specific channels requires using the "left/right" of the remote to select the numbers, but then again, you could always just have the Guide display and select from there, which is more intuitive. As tricky as it can be, I often prefer to enter the channel number directly. Of course the Up/Down can take you to the next channel above and below during Live TV.

Frankly, the negatives can quickly become quibbles when compared to the power of watching LIVE TV from your H3 (or from the channel's streaming source--in that case just press record to get full skip back/forward functionality) and playing back any of your DVR recordings anywhere you have an internet connection and on a nice, large PC monitor or a large HDTV with --to a really critical eye--extremely close to like at home--but to 95% of the population--JUST as good a PQ as at home. The result is quite good that you get caught up in the content, and after a while, I thouhgt I was watching the Joey in the room instead of the DA on the Fire TV. The smaller screen and pixel density of a tablet will result in a Just Like At Home PQ. I find the PC and tablet experience require no adjustments, but if one is really picky (as yours truly), some HDTV's may need a slight adjustment or tweak of color saturation or brightness/contrast, but the 95% of viewers would not even bother the PQ is so good.

Dish Anywhere is clearly not designed for quick "channel surfing" like at home, but for the other features of Live TV and playback of DVR recordings when we watch the content, one can really become amazed at how we are watching our Dish as if we were at home or even as a substitute for a Joey in another room if one wants to save money.

Well, the H3 has Sling built-in and is superior to the Sling Adapter. The H3 Sling experience can be EXCELLENT.

The Dish Anywhere App has matured to the point where even I find it a GOOD option, and one I can now really use and live with when Charlie kills my Slingbox. In fact, I have been using Dish Anywhere on my tablets (where I can no longer download the Slingbox app), and have found it to be a GOOD experience.

The streaming quality will depend upon your home internet speed. What matters is NOT you downstream speed at HOME (you stated 100mbs), but on your UPstream speed. Most often, in cable ISP's (they are asymmetric) the UPstream is often slower than the DOWNstream, and sometimes significantly so, but UPstream speeds as low as 4mbs will still get you very good PQ. You need run a speed test to measure your UPstream speed.
For the very best High-Def PQ, about 8mbs upstream is required--HOWEVER, the Sling tech is so good that you can have 3-4mbs upstream and still get a very good High-Def PQ and can result in a PQ like watching at home or pretty darn close to it in the best of conditions
At first the PQ will look lower quality, but the Sling tech is trying to slowly adapt to your UPstream speed without losing a picture and will, after a few minutes, provide a very high PQ in good conditions.

DishAnywhere is Windows and ANDROID only, so your options are Windows PC, Android phones and tablets, and the various Fire TV connected devices or FireSticks (Fire TV's use a forked Android).

The Dish Anywhere Android App for phone and tablets interface does take a bit of getting used to, but once acquainted, you can do the most common things very easily. However, I do find a few things I like to do to be less intuitive, such as the process of downloading DVR recordings to my local device and the Closed Captions settings. It certainly can be better, but I do think you will find it vastly improved.

As for the Fire TV experience, well, it is not clunky as it is limited and simplified, and it too could be a little more intuitive, but you can learn it FAST and it is easy to do the CORE things you want it to do well such as Live TV and watching DVR recordings. The learning curve has to do with the very limited buttons on the Fire remote (just as limited as Roku remotes), so directly changing to specific channels requires using the "left/right" of the remote to select the numbers, but then again, you could always just have the Guide display and select from there, which is more intuitive. As tricky as it can be, I often prefer to enter the channel number directly. Of course the Up/Down can take you to the next channel above and below during Live TV.

Frankly, the negatives can quickly become quibbles when compared to the power of watching LIVE TV from your H3 (or from the channel's streaming source--in that case just press record to get full skip back/forward functionality) and playing back any of your DVR recordings anywhere you have an internet connection and on a nice, large PC monitor or a large HDTV with --to a really critical eye--extremely close to like at home--but to 95% of the population--JUST as good a PQ as at home. The result is quite good that you get caught up in the content, and after a while, I thouhgt I was watching the Joey in the room instead of the DA on the Fire TV. The smaller screen and pixel density of a tablet will result in a Just Like At Home PQ. I find the PC and tablet experience require no adjustments, but if one is really picky (as yours truly), some HDTV's may need a slight adjustment or tweak of color saturation or brightness/contrast, but the 95% of viewers would not even bother the PQ is so good.

Dish Anywhere is clearly not designed for quick "channel surfing" like at home, but for the other features of Live TV and playback of DVR recordings when we watch the content, one can really become amazed at how we are watching our Dish as if we were at home or even as a substitute for a Joey in another room if one wants to save money.
Just a quick note to add that DishAnywhere is not restricted to just Windows PC's. It runs quite nicely on Chrome on my Linux laptop.

and it also runs just fine on my iPad and iMac...
OK, my error, and I should have know better--well, I did, but I goofed :). What I should have said was that it will not work on Roku or Apple TV. Thanks for the clarification. I am far from the most gifted writer and do not possess anything close to the most gifted brain. I love the clarifications that the users to this forum provides. Thanks for all the contributions and corrections.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)