Using Regular RG-6 Cables for Hopper?

rickaren

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
IN
Has anyone been successful with DISH installing Hoppers using previous (older) premium RG-6 coaxial cables? Several years old and would not think it would be rated 3,000 MHz. When did that rating become available? I have a built-in powered distribution cabinet located in the garage full of unmarked RG-6 cables about 10 years old. From what I read these cables are fine for Joeys, but the newer cables must be used from the dish to the Duo Node for install of two Hopper and three Joyey. Since these 3 cables would require a new run to the garage from the roof, to be installed after the present installed power booster. Has anyone been successful having the installer leave the present cables in place, and at least try not replacing them? Would they work? Hate to have the home present distribution wiring disturbed I designed when building this home that has over 20 runs available, that is now in place. Thanks for your comments.

There have been plenty of installs done using 2.4GHz RG-6 and I've seen people report successfully using 20-year-old RG-6 with no issues.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

There have been plenty of installs done using 2.4GHz RG-6 and I've seen people report successfully using 20-year-old RG-6 with no issues.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

WOW! Great news. I was thinking that if new cables were required by the installer I could cancel and run my own cables. If the results were not the best (don't know what is effected) I would rather do the install of any cables myself and would not complain to DISH.

I called DISH today and attempted to have one of their Installers come out and review my present set-up, and pay for their time. I was told that DISH does not allow this and only after placing an order will they visit their customers. I told them I wanted to know what they recommend for an install in my home with this custom system, so I could mark cable runs and save them time and to determine where to place the two Hoppers, otherwise they could be here five hours or so. No go. Told them I guess this would make too much "Common Sense".

Anyway now after reviewing DISH Hooper Joey System Install Rules online, I have an ideal how to wire the system and ordered a newer Coax Tester, plus cable identification tags to help with any future install.

Will let you all know how this install works out when it is completed.

Thanks Again!

It may work, but that's the same as saying sometimes rg59 will run VIP receivers. A lot of times everything will work on initial installation, then maybe a week down the line or maybe 3 months later the cable will go bad, and once it does it's unusable. As an installer if it's easily accessible I will always run a new cable to hoppers. That being said it all depends. Unmarked rg6 could be rated to 3ghz or not.

I have had zero problems on 20+ Hopper installs that I've done using any existing RG6 cable. Not saying that it cannont be a problem but I have yet to run in to any.

Something else to keep in mind on the cabeling is that the newer stuff is tested to 3GHz. Just because the older stuff wasn't 'tested' to 3GHz doesn't always mean that it can't handle it.

Something else to keep in mind on the cabeling is that the newer stuff is tested to 3GHz. Just because the older stuff wasn't 'tested' to 3GHz doesn't always mean that it can't handle it.

Good point. Looking at both old and new cables, they look the same. Unless there is some other kind of magic going on inside.

I am using the original RG6 cables that were installed when my house was built 15 years ago and have not had an ounce of trouble with them.

My Hopper is working just fine, installed March 17, 2012, on an RG-6 cable that I installed in 1987, nearly 26 years ago....

WOW! Great news. I was thinking that if new cables were required by the installer I could cancel and run my own cables. If the results were not the best (don't know what is effected) I would rather do the install of any cables myself and would not complain to DISH.

I called DISH today and attempted to have one of their Installers come out and review my present set-up, and pay for their time. I was told that DISH does not allow this and only after placing an order will they visit their customers. I told them I wanted to know what they recommend for an install in my home with this custom system, so I could mark cable runs and save them time and to determine where to place the two Hoppers, otherwise they could be here five hours or so. No go. Told them I guess this would make too much "Common Sense".

Anyway now after reviewing DISH Hooper Joey System Install Rules online, I have an ideal how to wire the system and ordered a newer Coax Tester, plus cable identification tags to help with any future install.

Will let you all know how this install works out when it is completed.

Thanks Again!

You can call a local retailer who would probably be more than happy to discuss the installation with you and might even do a free site survey. Good luck.

Looking again I see that the cable in question DOES have marking but to me it might as well be un-marked. It has white printing that says

Coleman Cable RG6 U16 AWC Type CL 2 73C UL E100316 DR CATV 3 396 or something similar.

Thanks to your great responses it appears that if the Installer will allow using my present cables I should have no issues! Again thanks for all your comments.

Good point. Looking at both old and new cables, they look the same. Unless there is some other kind of magic going on inside.
A while back I looked at the specs for 3GHz rated RG6 and some that had no frequency rating. Specs were the same: physical composition, attenuation with frequency, etc. "Sweep testing" the cable only guarantees the cable meets target attenuation vs frequency, not that 3 GHz cable has lower loss than unrated RG6. Testing will weed out poorly made cables or manufacturing defects resulting in fewer issues during installation.

My Hopper install is using the Dish Network branded 2 GHz rated coax that I installed with my first Dish Network system over 10 years ago. The cable would have been very easy to replace but the Dish installer said we'd use the existing cable and replace if necessary. The run is only about 50-60 feet. Everything works fine.

There is no reason to expect unrated cable will have a shorter life than 3 GHz sweep tested cable. Cable life depends on the environment: moisture, sun, heat, and the QUALITY of the cable. A cable that goes bad will probably be the result of a cut or connector that allows moisture into the cable. It may be OK in the dry season then act up with rain and snow.

All that said, ANY cable will degrade over time. "Older" cable (even if it's 3GHz rated) should always be inspected including connectors. Questionable cable should be replaced. It's inexpensive insurance.

Just from the small number of people who have commented here about using "old" RG6 and it works fine, imagine the thousands of customers who don't talk online about satellite receivers who are also using it successfully ?

Dish doesn't want to test dozens of brands of current RG6 cable and hundreds of types of older RG6 cable, so they "recommend" what they can control. Do they forbid everything else ? Nope. Do they require exact brand and type ? Nope.

Just from the small number of people who have commented here about using "old" RG6 and it works fine, imagine the thousands of customers who don't talk online about satellite receivers who are also using it successfully ?

Dish doesn't want to test dozens of brands of current RG6 cable and hundreds of types of older RG6 cable, so they "recommend" what they can control. Do they forbid everything else ? Nope. Do they require exact brand and type ? Nope.

Yes they most certainly require certain cable types for an approved Hopper installation. There is an approved cable list and an approved parts list for connectors, splitters, taps and everything else and they forbid using anything that isn't on the approved lists. Any installation that doesn't have approved cable and all other parts is a Quality Audit fail and is a charge back for the retailer and installer.

You forgot to include "if something goes wrong and/or if it gets a QA audit".

Just from the posts above, there must be a lot of unapproved installs out there .... that are working fine.

You forgot to include "if something goes wrong and/or if it gets a QA audit".

Just from the posts above, there must be a lot of unapproved installs out there .... that are working fine.

I didn't forget anything. Obviously there are many installs with unapproved cable and parts out there that work fine. I am not disputing that. I was accurately responding to your statement below to correct what Dish does and does not approve :

It may work, but that's the same as saying sometimes rg59 will run VIP receivers.

No, that is quite different. The reason RG59 fails over time is, it is smaller, and in some cases, can't handle the line voltage over time. If it is RG6, the voltage will not be an issue. If it is RG6 and can carry 3GHz, that ability will not go away over time.

I have installed numerous Hopper systems with older RG6 and brand new approved RG6. I have had trouble with 2 systems, both those problems were on systems entirely installed with new, approved 3GHz cable. FWIW, the problem with the 2 systems is a rare and still unexplained intermittent signal/connectivity issue between the Hoppers and the nodes/dishes. Only happens on 2+ Hopper systems and no one knows the answer. Guesses like radar interference or interference from fuse boxes with the node are as good of a guess as anyone has.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts