Using Regular RG-6 Cables for Hopper?

i have not had a problem yet. only 4 out of about 40 installs i have used 2.25. no callbacks on them though. atually i came across a job the other day...worst hopper install i have ever seen. one extremely old 1800mhz and one 3 ghz which had been completely cut in half by a lawnmower or something. both cables running from a dish mounted on a wobbly fencepost bare aboiveground across the yard about 100 feet to the node. running hopper and 3 joeys and was working fine. as i said, one of the cables wasnt even connected. the call was to move a joey. of course i reinstalled the whole damn thing, but still, it had been working fine since june.

Just what I've personally noted about cables. RG-59 has a solid polyethylene dielectric single wire core. RG-6 has a foam dielectric. Being build to about the same just over 1/4" diameter means the RG-6 center conductor is larger to keep a 75-ohm impedance. So with a larger conductor it passes DC better. With a foam dielectric it passes high frequencies much better. The only disadvantage is in sharp bends where the foam would be compressed and mess up the impedance and solid poly would not as much. AFAIR.
-Ken

Yes they most certainly require certain cable types for an approved Hopper installation. There is an approved cable list and an approved parts list for connectors, splitters, taps and everything else and they forbid using anything that isn't on the approved lists. Any installation that doesn't have approved cable and all other parts is a Quality Audit fail and is a charge back for the retailer and installer.

I have never had an installer check or question what type of cable is in my home during installs including my upgrade to the Hopper.

I have never had an installer check or question what type of cable is in my home during installs including my upgrade to the Hopper.

Good for you... or not.

Dish makes the rules and the rules are the rules. We go by the rules and use good common sense. I wouldn't be happy with a sub-standard job with sub-standard parts in my house so we wouldn't do that to our customers either.

how do you know they dont check? i can spot our 3ghz cable by glancing at it from feet away. perfect vision is very recognizable too. i dont always mention it to the customer. sometime its obvious it is the correct cable.

how do you know they dont check? i can spot our 3ghz cable by glancing at it from feet away. perfect vision is very recognizable too. i dont always mention it to the customer. sometime its obvious it is the correct cable.

My assumption is based on the fact that the coax is run behind the walls and the only thing visible are the wall outlets in each room and the panel in my basement that the coax from the dish is connected to. The cables from the dish are the only ones visible and were installed when I moved in several years after the house was built. The house was prewired when it was built 15 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts