Using remote from another room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abam

Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Washington
We cable connection( the outlet in the wall) only for 1 room in our house. We want to add another tv to another room. Directtv says they will charge $200 to put a new outlet.

We can't run wire along the house since we have a toddler and she can trip.
We were thinking of running the cable wire between rooms under the carpet or baseboard.

My question is in such situation, since receiver is one room can we control the remote from another room ? How/what do I need to do for that ?
I expect to use only one tv at any point of time.

We were able to do that with dish remote before but not happening with directtv remote.

My question is in such situation, since receiver is one room can we control the remote from another room ?
This is what I use:

X10 PM5900 - remote control extender Remote Control reviews - CNET Reviews

I have a setup like you are thinking about. I have one DVR and two TVs. There is a cable running from the DVR to the second TV in another room. With this system, you use the same remote control you have now. Put the X10 transmitter near your TV in the second room. The remote's IR signal gets transmitted wirelessly to the X10 receiver in the main room where the X10 receiver is located. The X10 receiver flashes the same IR burst that your remote puts out for whatever button you have pressed. Works great. I've had it about 12 years.

This only works with IR remotes. not RF remotes. If you have an RF remote, the chances are it already works from another room.

Last edited:
We cable connection( the outlet in the wall) only for 1 room in our house. We want to add another tv to another room. Directtv says they will charge $200 to put a new outlet.

We can't run wire along the house since we have a toddler and she can trip.
We were thinking of running the cable wire between rooms under the carpet or baseboard.

My question is in such situation, since receiver is one room can we control the remote from another room ? How/what do I need to do for that ?
I expect to use only one tv at any point of time.

We were able to do that with dish remote before but not happening with directtv remote.

If its standard Directv receiver, no, not with Directv RF remotes. It would have to be a SD dvr, HD receiver or HD dvr to have RF remote capabilities.

I have a similar system like the one in the previous post that I just bought at Radio Shack for $40. Works great. What kind of cable are you thinking of running between rooms? You should check monoprice.com as they have several options. I went with a 30' HDMI cable for my "run" which I punched through 2 walls. Whatever cable option you go with, measure carefully and then add at least 10' for bends, etc. The first cable I bought was too short because of this, but I was able to return it.

$200 is a bit steep. Call you local satellite installers and ask them what they wopuld charge? It should be more like $50-$100 and sandwich and a beer depending on the install and installer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)