using the 522 for one Tv

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
I have a 522 that only has one sat. input feeding the rec'vr. and have it connected to only one Tv.

I have been using it that way since it was installed two months ago. I was supposed to have received a 510 but the installer brought the wrong box and I ended up getting a 522 instead. Being as the room was wired with a single feed from my previous Directv system, and that I did not plan on using the two room capability of the 522, the installer used the existing one cable feed from the dish and did not run a second.

Last night it lost the sat. signal(s) and I called Dish for tech. help.

The tech that I talked to told me that the 522 needed two sat. feeds to operate "properly". I told him that I preferred not to do that at the current time as I didn't want to get charged for an additional rec'vr that I don't have connected to a 2nd TV. He told me that I would not be charged any additional monthly cost if the second sat. feed was hooked up.

Is that true? I thought Dish would charge me $5/month more if connected with two sat. feeds as it would then be an additional receiver (?).

Isn't the phone line connection used for determining how many receivers are in use so that Dish can bill accordingly?

No additioanl charge. If it were me I would hook up that second line or wait for the new "Splitter". Wouldnt you love to watch one show live and record another?

Hmmm..........

If there isn't any additional monthly cost of connecting the second sat. feed, then why do I get the Dish message on the screen stating that I incurr additional charges if the phone line is not continually connected?

I'm still trying to figure out all of this Dish stuff.

You will be charged the additional fee if your phone line is not connected.

very confusing

JBKing said:
You will be charged the additional fee if your phone line is not connected.

If Dish doesn't charge extra for the 522 being used as two receivers, what is the additional cost for if I don't have the phone line connected?

What is the phone connection used for other than ordering PPv? :confused:

new_to_hdtv said:
If Dish doesn't charge extra for the 522 being used as two receivers, what is the additional cost for if I don't have the phone line connected?

What is the phone connection used for other than ordering PPv? :confused:

I have SBC/Dish and my understanding of their contract for the 522 was

1. Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee ($4.99/mo. applies for second tuner in each dual tuner receiver. Waived if phone line is continuously connected.

PLUS

2. DISH Video-On-Demand Service Fee ($4.98/mo. applies for each DISH Player-DVR receiver, unless you subscribe to America's "Everything" Pak)

Are you thinking of the Dish VOD service fee?

p.s. if you don't want to plug TV2 into your second TV, you might want to consider getting a inexpensive TV tuner card (or an expensive ATI) and plug in TV2 into your pc so you can always record programs on TV2 while you watch TV1.

new_to_hdtv said:
feed, then why do I get the Dish message on the screen stating that I incurr additional charges if the phone line is not continually connected?
That's a known bug in the 522's software. You will *not* be charged, at least not until they "fix" this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)