Using "Then" and "Than" correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I have noticed that some of our learned friends here on Satguys use the words "Then" and "Than" inappropriately. I have noticed this blunder very often leading me to conclude that this is an acceptable form of writing by the authors. For instance; saying mine is better then yours is inappropriate. The right thing to say is mine is better than yours. Don't get me wrong, we all make mistakes in speaking or writing a language, but would like to see people use words as they're intended to be used. Here is how to use words Then and Than. If this offends anyone, I apologize in advance!

I approached my daughter about all the bad spelling and grammar online and she says that is just the way people communicate nowadays. I asked her if you know you are spelling wrong and using bad grammar then why not try to correct it? I never got an answer on that one but my daughter says in math class as long as the answer is close the teacher will accept it!!!... :eek:

I think there are a lot of factors at work. One is people like me who are horrible typists. I am the frst to admit that is not an acceptableexcuse but it is the case. Another is the fact that some people think it is alright to type phonetically on the net and assume their spellchecker will catch anything---and it will not.

But this is just one of a host of problems. Is it any worse than "Should of" instead of "Should've" or "Should have", or the use of 's to indicate a plural word instead of to indicate the possessive?

I approached my daughter about all the bad spelling and grammar online and she says that is just the way people communicate nowadays. I asked her if you know you are spelling wrong and using bad grammar then why not try to correct it? I never got an answer on that one but my daughter says in math class as long as the answer is close the teacher will accept it!!!... :eek:

That's why we're number 25 and sinking like a brick... :(

In my opinion that teacher is in the wrong profession. I wonder what will happen if the student(s) adopt(s) that mentality when tackling real world problems that require accurate measurements/calculations? :(

I knew it! I knew it! 2 plus 2 does equal 5!
It is not only wrong words it is also, examples: i when I should be used. Not putting two spaces after a period and one after a comma. Using a "," in the word can't. There are many more. Really, I think it is so many want to get the answer to someone asking the question, they just type too fast and do not check what they wrote before posting. So they can get as many answers to as many as possible. I know if I did not check mine, there would be several errors.

oh goodie the spelling and grammar police have made it to the area I thoguht was safe...the FTA area

But, I used Microsoft spell check. I always thought my name was Doug! Now Microsoft says it is either Dough or Dog, it will not accept Doug. And there, it just changed it to doing! That besides fat fingers on a skinny keyboard!

One excuse I got was, "Grandpa, there are so many more words now than when you were a kid." We use the King James Bible as an English textbook then, also.

oh goodie the spelling and grammar police have made it to the area I thoguht was safe...the FTA area

They have been here awhile, just working under cover. :rolleyes:

But, I used Microsoft spell check. I always thought my name was Doug! Now Microsoft says it is either Dough or Dog, it will not accept Doug. And there, it just changed it to doing! That besides fat fingers on a skinny keyboard!

One excuse I got was, "Grandpa, there are so many more words now than when you were a kid." We use the King James Bible as an English textbook then, also.

You need to hit "add Doug to dictionary".

I could comment on why teachers would accept 'close' rather than demanding accuracy, but it would probably cause this thread to be closed early. And I'm certain there's going to be some funnier comments to come!
For what it's worth, I am glad I had such dungeonmasters for English teachers in grade school, I did learn proper from improper , lol.
Working on der, das, den for now though (in German). Carry on.

I agree with the OP. It's important to spell correctly and use correct grammar so that the communication is accurate. We've got to say what we mean.

Well, as long as the topic got opened here, never rush through any spell-check on your computer! It's easy to accept a word as appropriate when suggested by Microsoft or any other electronic dictionary when in a hurry. I always love my station's call letters. Before you add them to the dictionary, WION radio makes the computer suggest, "do you mean, "WINO?" (There are days in which being a WINO may be a good alternative to being in radio!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)